I Love Taking Money From Liberals

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

I Love Taking Money From Liberals

Post by Sixgun »

Just got back from the gun buy back program in Philly which was widely advertised on TV. Myself and two buds cruised on up there this morning....whew...BAD section of the city........first ones in line in case there was a monetary limit on their part..........We each took a small pile of handguns.....none worth more than $25....old H&R's, Iver Johnson etc. suicide specials from around the 1890-1920 period. Most all were in working condition...22's, 32 rimfire and centerfire, and a few 38 S&W's.

We had another 30-40 handguns but we did not want to get greedy as they will make up new rules the next time around.

Anyway, we turned 16 handguns into $3200.....Visa cards, supermarket cards and they even threw in a couple of Foot Locker cards in case we were into basketball.

This was my take..$1,200 for j-u-n-k.------6

Model A Uzi’s
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I Love Taking Money From Liberals

Post by crs »

Congrats and keep up the good work.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Six, did you give them a song and dance while saying how much you agree with them? Way to go! :lol: Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'd be tempted to donate half (or all) to the NRA or SAF or GOA or JPFO - just for the irony of it...! :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

3leggedturtle wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:38 pm Six, did you give them a song and dance while saying how much you agree with them? Way to go! :lol: Todd/3leg
Naaaaa....as I've gotten older a little tiny bit of wisdom creeped into my head. At earlier gun buy backs I used to tell them I was just a suburban white guy looking to cash in. I've since changed that to shaking everyone's hands, .... the pastor of the church, his helpers, and the many Philly cops who were there........ and thanking them for thanking the time, energy, and money for a program that will help save lives, especially the youngsters who might be hurt by a tool that they know nothing about. Tonight, I'm writing a thank you letter to State Senator Anthony Williams who initiated the program...for real, no b.s.

Ya know, just thinking ahead for those 30-40 handguns we decided not to turn in. :D ----6
Model A Uzi’s
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Now, this is how to work a program. Well done, sir!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well done Six-screw the bast...s

Is that a dynamite box?
Back in the 90's we renovated a house that was just a couple miles from a quarry. As we tore walls apart we discovered that the house was sheathed in dynamite boxes. I can only wonder how many boxes were taken apart to sheath that house.
I did find 1 piece that had a decent label so I took it.

I know a guy up here that does the cash for guns, although not to your level.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Gunny,
It's my kindling wood box. Tetryl.....whatever that stuff is......manufactured WW2 1944. Hopefully it was used to blow up some japs.----6

Model A Uzi’s
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Actually, I'd be tempted to show them the lot then tell them they couldn't offer me enough so they could destroy just one. Then I'd drive off as their head implode.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Wikipedia says Tetryl was an explosive used between WW1 & WW2. mentioned its use in 20mm shells.
So I'd say it was used on japs.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jeepnik wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:40 pm Actually, I'd be tempted to show them the lot then tell them they couldn't offer me enough so they could destroy just one. Then I'd drive off as their head implode.
:lol: :lol:
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Funny thing......me and a buddy were down in Delaware gun buy back a couple of years ago with about 15 guns. The cops, after looking at the box of guns we had, told us there was a two gun limit. My buddy told the cop, "fine, what you guys don't take I'll just sell the rest on the corner".

They took them all.-----6
Model A Uzi’s
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I guess it's a good or safe way to dispose of junk guns, assuming the state or whomever doesn't resell them.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

FWiedner wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:51 pm I guess it's a good or safe way to dispose of junk guns, assuming the state or whomever doesn't resell them.

:|
Cops always need good drop guns.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Well done, Sir...
It is not the critic who counts
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

FWiedner wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:51 pm I guess it's a good or safe way to dispose of junk guns, assuming the state or whomever doesn't resell them :|

Nope....the cops told me they melt them down. Another funny thing......as I said, I was just about first in line and I was able to see through the doorway as to what the cops were doing. The gig opened up at 10 and it was 10:20 by the time we got in there. I saw the cops also had a mess of guns they were turning in and they wanted their piece of the pie first. :D A couple of their guns were sawed off shotguns.....probably last nights confiscations.

I saw nothing that was worth more than $100....a few sidelock junk doubles..a few single shot shotguns...all kinds of junky top break handguns like the ones I turned in.

I really don't know why they waste their time as the hoodlooms with the guns are up all night and they sleep all day. They sure were not in line.---6
Model A Uzi’s
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:38 pmI really don't know why they waste their time as the hoodlooms with the guns are up all night and they sleep all day. They sure were not in line.---6
The REAL purpose of these 'buybacks' is to get the public used to handing guns over to The Authorities, so They will Keep Us Safe. If they can get the public to think of 'guns' as something you are allowed to own only at the whim of The Authorities, the public may be more willing to 'hand them over' someday in the future when there is a sufficiently dramatic 'gun tragedy' or 'gun crime' to motivate us to happily disarm 'For Our Own Good'...

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Doc you have hit that nail squarely! I'd never thought about it that way.
Think if I had a collection of junk I'd sell it to GPC for parts.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:49 am Doc you have hit that nail squarely! I'd never thought about it that way.
Think if I had a collection of junk I'd sell it to GPC for parts.
I'm sure that's the thinking in the UK too. We only got money for the handguns that were banned, all other hand ins are without any cash.
BTW six those .32 rimfires make good money over here as they are legal to own... :roll:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Gamekeeper: Because it is well nigh impossible to find .32 rimfire ammo??
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

There was an enterprising soul in Az (Phx?) that was cruising the lines before people got in the door and buying guns for I think whatever the buy back was or a bit more if necessary. Guy and one or more of his friends did it. It annoyed the cops and buy back people, but it wasnt illegal in any way so they couldnt do anything. They bought some nice stuff, decent Smiths, Colts and others. They went with cash and may have had signs. Been a while since i read of it.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:09 am Gamekeeper: Because it is well nigh impossible to find .32 rimfire ammo??
Yup, that's correct Bill, we are allowed any type of gun just as long as it can't go bang.... :cry:

The police state that criminals are using obsolete caliber firearms and manufacturing ammo for them, so maybe soon we will lose even the right to own antique guns :roll:
I have a Marlin tip up .32rf and Cresent arms .32rf worth over here about $660.00 each.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

gamekeeper wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:37 am I have a Marlin tip up .32rf and Cresent arms .32rf worth over here about $660.00 each.
Dang Gamekeeper! You and I are going to be best pals! Always looking to capitalize. I must have had 50 of these .32 rimfres over the years. In fact, I used to blow em up for Saturday afternoon fun.....pull the bullet, gets rid of the blackpowder or smokeless and give it a full charge of Bullseye.......tie it to a fence post and booooom! Cylinder and top strap gone. Throw the residue in the pond.

I believe if I look (not here) there still is a half dozen around.---6
Model A Uzi’s
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Sixgun wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:14 pm Gunny,
It's my kindling wood box. Tetryl.....whatever that stuff is......manufactured WW2 1944. Hopefully it was used to blow up some japs.----6

Tetryl (2,4,6-trinitrophenyl methyl nitramine) is an explosive similar to trinitrotoluene (TNT) and was used extensively during World War I and II as a detonator and booster in munitions.

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

They stopped doing them here, and I like to think I had a big part in them running out of funds!
I had tons of old stocks, barrels, etc. and I'd drill, screw, wire, and tape whatever I could together to make them appear shootable. Then I'd grab some friends and we'd take turns going through the line getting whatever they were offering that day!
Once we'd finished that day, I'd wait a few days and call the sponsors to tell them how much I appreciated them taking all my gun junk, and how I couldn't wait to partake again at the next gun turn in!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
BrianSH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BrianSH »

Can you cobble together a zip gun out of 1/4 pipe and a rubberband and nail firing system? Doesn't really have to shoot, just look like it could.
Years ago a friend of mine thought of doing this for extra cash.