CZ527 HB in 6.5 Grendel

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

CZ527 HB in 6.5 Grendel

Post by 6pt-sika »

I acquired a NIB CZ527 HB in 6.5 Grendel a week or so ago . At the moment I have my old Leupold Vari XIII 6.5-20AO on top . I’ve not loaded for it but have been shooting the stuff I loaded for my AR . Nosler 100BT , Nosler 120BT and the Hornady 123SST . This past Monday afternoon I shot 12 three shot groups at 100 yards with the rifle . Four of each bullet weight and of the four two were with the set trigger and two the regular trigger . None were bad but one of the set trigger groups with the Hornady 123 SST were a Red hair under a tenth of an inch .098” after deducting the diameter of the bullet . Possibly I’ll start loading some stuff specially for this rifle over the weekend or next week . I just bought a nice used Leupold 24x BR scope for it today hopefully I’ll have it in hand next week .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Re: CZ527 HB in 6.5 Grendel

Post by wolfdog »

Sweet! I am building an Ar in 6.5, may get it out to the range this weekend.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

wolfdog wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:40 pm Sweet! I am building an Ar in 6.5, may get it out to the range this weekend.
I have three Grendel’s at present my Alexander Arms AR-15 , a Howa Mini and this CZ527 HB . Killed deer this past season with the AR using a Nosler 100 BT handload and the Howa with a Nosler 120 BT handload.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Colonel Boddington was saying to someone at the NRA show in Dallas as I was passing his booth, that he thought the 6.5 Grendel was the best deer hunting caliber for the AR 15. I stopped to listen. I don't know a lot about the 6.5 Grendel, and I like listening to Colonel Boddington. He is pleasant, and he seems to truly care about others. Plus, he knows more about hunting than I ever will.

I have a receiver built, and am still undecided what to top it with. I am trying to decide between a 6.5 Grendel and a .458 SOCOM upper. I am wanting to make it a dedicated single caliber rifle. My hunting has been severely limited since I was placed on float status and don't know my schedule more than 2 weeks ahead of time. I am leaning to the 6.5 Grendel for its smaller cartridge and longer range vs the .458 SOCOM. I have a Marlin Guide Gun, and the .45-70 is able to be better than the .458 SOCOM by a little. The 6.5 might be more useful.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Hijack: Boddington is on my good people list. Several summers ago, my daughter happened to be on a flight with him out of Vancouver, B.C., and he noticed that Ellie was using a target she had shot with her 7-mm-08 Tikka as a bookmark. They had a nice conversation, and then he helped her make a tight flight connection. A fine hunter, a fine writer and a good man.
Back to the Grendel, I wish I had bought a barrel in this chambering instead of 25-45 Sharps, but believe the latter will have its uses, too. The .25s are my second favorites behind the 6.5s.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

6pt-sika wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:16 pm
wolfdog wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:40 pm Sweet! I am building an Ar in 6.5, may get it out to the range this weekend.
I have three Grendel’s at present my Alexander Arms AR-15 , a Howa Mini and this CZ527 HB . Killed deer this past season with the AR using a Nosler 100 BT handload and the Howa with a Nosler 120 BT handload.
I already had a Grendel AR, took a deer with it last year. It shot okay but not as good as I wanted so I parted ways with it and am build a new and hopefully improved one. I would love to get a bolt action or single shot in one but have not run across one.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I've got a Howa mini action with heavy barrel I put in a Boyd's stock and an AR in 6.5 Grendel.
Both are great shooters.
I have my AR set up for coyote and hog shooting.
I haven't reloaded for it, yet.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

piller wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:46 am
I have a receiver built, and am still undecided what to top it with. I am trying to decide between a 6.5 Grendel and a .458 SOCOM upper. I am wanting to make it a dedicated single caliber rifle. My hunting has been severely limited since I was placed on float status and don't know my schedule more than 2 weeks ahead of time. I am leaning to the 6.5 Grendel for its smaller cartridge and longer range vs the .458 SOCOM. I have a Marlin Guide Gun, and the .45-70 is able to be better than the .458 SOCOM by a little. The 6.5 might be more useful.
I went thru the great AR big boomer debate two years ago . I use and load for one friends 50 Beowulf , same for another friends 458 Socom and I own a 450 Bushmaster . On the range I saw little difference in the three . As to deer I’ve used the 50 and 450 to kill a few and again not much difference . Now as to a debate between a Grendel and a Socom I’d go with the Grendel hands down . As a matter of fact I’ve been pruning my AR flock a bit . I got rid of the 308 upper for the AR-10 and just have a 260 , and my AR-15 flock has been pruned of a 22 Nosler upper with my Stag 7 6.8 SPC at the shop for sale , more then likely the 450 BM will be for sale soon as well . An AR-15 Grendel and an AR-10 260 REM should be plenty for me .
Last edited by 6pt-sika on Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I have a couple boxes of Berger 120 Match ordered as well as a 250 box of the Nosler 123 Match . Picked up a 1000 Federal SMall Rifle Match and a 1000 REM 7 1/2 small Rifle Match today . About the only thing I’d like to get for this rifle are 100 pieces of Lapua brass and I suspect I’ll bite the bullet and pay the $100+ in the next couple weeks . Would kinda like to find a nice old Leupold BR 36x but I can make do with the 24x that’s on its way to me now .
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Someone learn me why the Grendel is better than the 25-06. The '06 seems to have better numbers.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

BlaineG wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:16 pm Someone learn me why the Grendel is better than the 25-06. The '06 seems to have better numbers.
Don't know if it means it's better, but can be used in a short action/ AR-15, etc.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

BlaineG wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:16 pm Someone learn me why the Grendel is better than the 25-06. The '06 seems to have better numbers.
It's not better. It's just different. .25-'06 and 6.5 Grendel aren't really in the same class.

Grendel recoil is similar to a .243. Short case allows for a really short action like my Howa 1500 mini-action. Lots of good bullet choices. And it works in an AR-15 action if you want it to.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Got it.... Thanks 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Actually the Grendel is no more then the 6mm PPC necked up to 6.5mm . I think the case is a couple hundredths of an inch longer the the PPC case . And the fact that I’ve been partial to 6.5mm’s for about 35 years is just a bonus . I got the AR Grendel because I was intrigued, I bought the Howa Mini Grendel because it was CHEAP and lightweight thinking it will be good for my wife . The fact that the Howa shoots sub MOA was a bonus . And this HB CZ was bought for punching paper although I suspect it may very well do in a poor unsuspecting deer at some point . As to the relation to the 25-06 I have a 6.5-06 to cover that power category 👍🏻
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Actually if a person wanted a 6.5mm with more gas in an AR-15 they’d be well advised to contact D-Tech I believe is the name out in the Midwest , they build AR-15’s based on the WSSM case and one of them happens to be the 6.5mm WSSM I actually wouldn’t mind an upper built for that cartridge . A 6.5 WSSM is a slightly juiced up 260 REM .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It does have some numbers to think about.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

piller wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:46 pm It does have some numbers to think about.
Hornady brought out a cartridge called the 6.5 PRC . If my memory serves its based on the Ruger 300 RCM case . I seem to remmember some talk of making an AR-10 upper for this . I'd be intrested in that as well if they can get it to work .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naOQcW4rdRY
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

A Midway box appeared today ! The Berger and Nosler match bullets arrived . Then I happened to be browsing Gunbroker and saw a semi deal in five boxes of Hornady 6.5mm 123 grain A-Max so they oughtta be here next week . 🙄