Out with the .45 Colt Trapper

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Out with the .45 Colt Trapper

Post by HawkCreek »

Been a while since I went out with my 16" Miroku '92 so I decided to bring it along when I went out this morning to check a new load in my Miroku '95 .30-40 (trying to get a good load for this before hunting season this year). Anyway I got there and realized I'd forgotten my targets! What to do? Well I had some old construction scrap in the back of the truck along with my bags so I figured I could at least make some brass for the .45 even if I couldn't fire the .30-40 that I'd come to check.

The front sight on this carbine is terrible. Those silly brass bead sights are the worst of the worst IMO and this one has the brass offset (low and left) of where the true center of the front sight is. I need to replace it with a simple blade sight but I have so many gun projects I keep forgetting. Anyway I did manage to miss the target completely at about 30 paces but that's my fault and I know it.

Here I was trying to get a picture of the sooty trail the brass gets from the Miroku's generous chamber. This gun leaves a bulge in the brass though it still chambers in a Vaquero. It will even chamber in the tight cylinder of a FA revolver though the brass must be pushed in it's not a drop in fit.

Ammunition was factory American Eagle 225 grain JSP. Didn't have a whole lot of penetration, only a few inches into our fine dry clay but they mushroomed alright and the recovered round weighed between 215-218 grains. Not a big deal it shoots ok and gives me a way to shoot my .45's since I'm not set up to reload for that round yet.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Re: Out with the .45 Colt Trapper

Post by KWK »

HawkCreek wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:53 pm... check a new load in my Miroku '95 .30-40 (trying to get a good load for this before hunting season this year)...
I'm always interested in .30-40 loads.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Looks like they need a little bit more pressure, to keep it sealed longer.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Instead of changing the front sight why not file the brass bead off. Few passes with a file and go back to shooting. Then you have the correct height sight and no need to drift out/in the sight, no chance of damage to dovetail or finish.
I also despise those brass bead sights. What I despise more though is the folding rear sight that Ruger uses!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

KWK wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:15 pm
HawkCreek wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:53 pm... check a new load in my Miroku '95 .30-40 (trying to get a good load for this before hunting season this year)...
I'm always interested in .30-40 loads.
I am too. It's hard to find data for new Miroku 1895's, everything is for the weaker Krag action. I think I found a node at the top end of published data for IMR4064, seems like it wants to be pushed harder but I'm not going to hot rod it. Next I plan on trying some Reloader 19.
Nath wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:57 pm Looks like they need a little bit more pressure, to keep it sealed longer.

N.
I agree thought the Winchester/Miroku does have a generous chamber. One of these days I hope to start reloading for the .45 Colt, maybe then I can experiment some. Not to worried about damaging a 92 action or an old model Vaquero if I push things a little. Odd thing is the primers are always smashed flat which I always took to indicate pressure was already up there but AE isn't known for being real hot stuff.
GunnyMack wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:58 am Instead of changing the front sight why not file the brass bead off. Few passes with a file and go back to shooting. Then you have the correct height sight and no need to drift out/in the sight, no chance of damage to dovetail or finish.
I also despise those brass bead sights. What I despise more though is the folding rear sight that Ruger uses!
That might work but it would be awfully skinny. Sounds like a good interim "fix" until I get the preferred blade front sight for it. I agree, I like Ruger but they put some terrible sights on most of their guns! I do like the sights on the Ruger GSR though, very similar to my M14 or AR.
Last edited by HawkCreek on Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Don't go just of a flattened primer.
Some primers are thinner in the cup, especially pistol primers!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Nath wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:37 amDon't go just of a flattened primer.
N.
Yep. And all the rifles chambered in 45 Colt have nearly max size chambers to aid the greatest flexibility in feeding. Even my single shot 1885. I don't worry about a little soot... it comes right off with a little tumbling. :D

When you do start to reload for the 45 Colt, may I recommend you get a set of RCBS carbide dies, I have two sets, one for my "portable" (read range testing), reloading setup, and one mounted in the Dillon toolhead. I get equally good ammo from either setup, just quicker with the Dillon.

I do hope you're saving that brass for when you set up to reload for the 45 Colt... if not, save enough to fill a 8lb mailer and send it to me... I'll pay the postage! :twisted: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

Griff wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:11 am
Nath wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:37 amDon't go just of a flattened primer.
N.
Yep. And all the rifles chambered in 45 Colt have nearly max size chambers to aid the greatest flexibility in feeding. Even my single shot 1885. I don't worry about a little soot... it comes right off with a little tumbling. :D

When you do start to reload for the 45 Colt, may I recommend you get a set of RCBS carbide dies, I have two sets, one for my "portable" (read range testing), reloading setup, and one mounted in the Dillon toolhead. I get equally good ammo from either setup, just quicker with the Dillon.

I do hope you're saving that brass for when you set up to reload for the 45 Colt... if not, save enough to fill a 8lb mailer and send it to me... I'll pay the postage! :twisted: :lol:
HaHa of course I'm saving it! I save all my brass even the stuff I never intend to reload (of course I don't shoot those calibers much).
Still makes me upset when I think about all the .45 ACP brass I threw away back in my early 20's since it was so cheap to buy bulk WWB at the time.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

HawkCreek wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:16 pmI am too. It's hard to find data for new Miroku 1895's, everything is for the weaker Krag action.
I'm at the other end of the spectrum. Rolling blocks aren't as strong, so I keep the pressures down to that of the earliest sporting rounds. I have the original 30" barrel length, and 220 @ 2000 comes at modest pressures, down in the lower 30s. IMR 4895 has worked well for me so far. With the strength of your action, you could use 3031 to duplicate these early loads.

If you want more performance, your action should be strong enough for nearly full power .308 loads. The .30-40 and the .308 have almost the same net case capacity, so you can use .308 starting loads and move up some from there, minding fps with the chronograph.
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

4895 wasn't that impressive out of my .30-40, I mean it was a great low recoil round but it didn't group well. The upper end of 4064 shrunk those groups but still I think it could do better. I have the same rifle in .30-06 and it does very well with the heavy bullets but it's a 1:10 twist, for some reason they made the .30-40's with a slower twist. I've not given up on the 220's yet, have a few more loads to try.