Prayers for my brothers and sisters ...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Prayers for my brothers and sisters ...

Post by Bill in Oregon »

.. in the newspaper business. In every newsroom I worked in, we all tried very hard to get it right, and we dealt with our share of the "congenitally angry class."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mary ... SKBN1JO2Z1
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Prayers for my brothers and sisters ...

Post by Pitchy »

Yepper thoughts and prayers up for all concerned.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Prayers up, although I think today's "journalist" is a far cry from those of a few decades ago...(still no reason they should be randomly shot)...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Doesn't sound like it was random. The murderer had a grudge against the paper, having lost a defamation suit against them. He was know to be unstable.

This is getting to be the most common factor in all of these mass shootings; the shooter manifested before the attack and was known to police...
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

We had a small group of reliable crazies/congenitally angry who frequented our newsroom. At one paper I worked at, the newsroom was up a broad flight of stairs on the second floor, and the stairs were just inside the main entrance to the street. I sat at my computer right at the top of the stairs with my back to the doors, and the rest of the copy desk always joked that "Powell will get the first bullet." I laughed, sort of.
At the last paper I worked at, I got a call from the lobby that one of our more harmless nuts was there with a gun. I went downstairs and spoke to him and he agreed to turn over his loaded .38. Newspaper work was not necessarily for sissies.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

My Grandfather Raleigh Wyant was a newspaperman and then a printshop owner. He ended his career due to lead poisoning. He kept a pot of melted linotype near him for pouring letters and such as soon as needed. It seems that he inhaled vaporized lead over the years.

It might not be the same hot lead hazard, but it still was a hazard from hot lead. Not a job for sissies.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Someone is always sad when someone else dies somewhere, or somehow.

There are people in professions who feel that it is their job,their business, their obligation, whatever... to stick their noses into other peoples business.

These people should not be amazed when one of their "chosen" turns out to be someone who will do something about it.

Right or wrong, it happens.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I'll just say I appreciate President Trump's proclamation this morning and his comments on the shooting.
Killing reporters is not how we roll here in these United States. That's the Russian model.