I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Post by 2ndovc »

The Parker Hale .58 cal Musketoon is a blast. Thanks again Bill!!! I couldn't find my Minie Bullets this morning, so I packed along a couple boxes of .577 round ball and some Ox Yoke patches. Shoots great but to the left by several inches. The 70 gr. load of Pyrodex was dead center with the I the Italian version I had. I upped it to 75 gr and got a bit closer to POA. It will take a little time to figure out but wow, that's fun!
Popped off a few rounds of .38 spl and the Speed Six, two handed at 15 yrds, shooting double action drawing from a holster. Nothing spectacular, just practicing. I really love this revolver! Far more than the S&W 66 I'd had. Just fits me better.

On to making some tiny little groups with Colt A4. This rifle has become my all time favorite AR. Three tight little groups with some Federal Independence 62 gr Green Tips, all less than an inch. The group with the 55 gr Surplus opened up to about 2 1/2" at 50 yds. Understandably with the 1 in 7 barrel.

Post clean up glamor shot. :D

Going to be 90+ and humid as heck for about a week. Wanted to get out again before the weather changed.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks Ray,

I'll have to round up some of the sizes you mentioned. I used to like to put a half dozen .310's under a wad with a patched .577 on top for charging woodchucks out at my last place. Sure made a mess.
Its sure going to be fun to play around with.

jb 8)

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I used .562" patched ball in my ph musketoon.

Thanks for sharing.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Very nice juxtaposition on the rifles! :D
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Sure like that AR rifle jb. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks Guys!

I love the last picture too.

Pitchy, this AR turned out just perfect for me. I like the 20" barrel with the Leupold up top. Only thing it really needs is a better trigger. The factory trigger isn't terrible but it could be better.

jb 8)

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Whoa! You get first place in the "Staying Active With Guns Award". :D Your just rolling along with teflon bearings ...fast!

That AR....go pilfer some 69 gr. Sierra's and you will do that group at 200 meters. All of my Colt AR's...A2's, M4's, even the 12" Colt machine gun upper with the 1-7 twist will regularly bust clay birds on the bank at 500 meters.....as long as the wind is below 2 mph.

Stop down to pick up your award at Targetmaster...he has the military 1911's your after....practically every manufacturer and condition your looking for...yea, even a Singer....at 75g's.-----6
Model A Uzi’s
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks Jack!

Taking advantage of some down time that I haven't had in a couple of years. I've go some 69 gr. Sierra's just waiting to be loaded up. Maybe this weekend. I'd like to get back out with it again soon.

I've had a Singer in my hands, years ago. I think it was about $15k at the time. I've always wanted a Union Switch and Signal but those have obscene prices these days too. I really don't care who made it, just want one that's correct.

jb 8)

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jason, that's such a handsome Musketoon! Glad you could burn some powder. I keep meaning to get out, but am dealing with a post-cataract surgery complication dead center in my shooting eye and can hardly see the face of my wristwatch, much less a bullseye.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks Bill! :wink:
I went through something similar last summer. It turned out to be the onset of diabetes. Took about three, four months to get it back after the proper medication and diet. Don't need the corrective lenses often now. Once and awhile I'll need them for fine print, if it's dark forget it. Welcome to 50 I guess. :lol:

jb 8)

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

50! Wait till 51, that's when the fun starts!!
I am stuck in bed with a pollen allergy! Yes that's right, pollen allergy, me, lived in the sticks all my life!

Wish I could get a snort of black powder smoke in me!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I forgot you had this, have show this weekend. Hoping the JP Murray shows up. Ive gotta Baby Dragoon in .31 cal, so now just need a big bore to complete the other end of the spectrum. Well that or a flintlock or an Old Army or! It never ends wanting something does it....
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

3leggedturtle wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:03 pm I forgot you had this, have show this weekend. Hoping the JP Murray shows up. Ive gotta Baby Dragoon in .31 cal, so now just need a big bore to complete the other end of the spectrum. Well that or a flintlock or an Old Army or! It never ends wanting something does it....
Like I said in another thread. The ADHD runs strong with this crowd. :D

I was thinking that I needed to get the musketoon out the other day. Need to make some time to get out to the range. I have some new loads to try in the .257 R, .45 Colts for the '73 that I just got the new tang sight for and some more .40s for the Blackhawk. Going to stop at the gunsmith's on the way back from a claim this morning to see if my .44-40 Vaquero is done. They were putting an SBH hammer in and tune it up a bit.

jb 8)

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I do love the Musketoon! Fine guns and they seem to handle so well. A great hunting gun as nothing can stand up to it with Minies or round balls.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Ray nothing to tell, its unfired, cute and got it for a decent price.. if I still have it I'll shoot when the weather gets cooler this fall.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Todd, do yourself a favor and look up some of the Eras Gone Bullet Mold Youtubes regarding the performance potential of that little .31. I was amazed.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I got out the Gallyon muzzleloader yesterday and put a couple of shots through a big square of plywood, I was pleased with the results and it was only a light load.
Still haven't got round to tying some round ball but I have few 12 gauge slugs I want to try.
I had a little Uberti .31 I used 777 hoping to get a bit more velocity.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Jason and GK, I'm really hoping for a T/C Renegade in the .56 cal smoothbore they made for a few years..

Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

BTW, I love the smell of black powder at any time!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Well the guy wouldnt give me a price, was real vague about it. After asking him the 3rd time and getting a stupid look and answering me with a question I just walked away. I did pick up a Hellcat with 3 mags and an IWI Massada and a 3 pack of pretty blue throwing knives that sorta look like long 2bladed broadheads.