My first levergun silhouette shoot

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

My first levergun silhouette shoot

Post by earlmck »

Some local folks hold a silhouette shoot on the last weekend of the month on a range about 30 miles south of town. I went out to shoot with them on Sunday, my first time ever to do such a thing in an organized sort of way. They shoot 22's first, then 25's, and then "handgun caliber levers". I didn't really have a competitive 22 but figured since I'd never done this before it would be worth shooting just to gain the experience. So I screwed a Marble's tang sight on the wife's Rossi pump and used that. Little thing just hates the Federal pistol match cartridges I thought would work in it, but it really, really hated the CCI standard velocity which were the only two I took to try. I came in dead last in the 22 competition but it was fun and I even hit the 200 yard ram a couple times.

The old 25/20 was smokin' em pretty good for the 50, 100, and 150 but then it was real pitiful at the 200 and I only hit it a couple times. Still came in second or third I think. There was a fellow there with a 25 single shot (you know that long skinny cartridge) loaded with black powder and it was fun to watch him shoot that thing. And he was our winner for the 25's.

Then this same fellow (goes by the handle of "Brownie") comes out with a Whitney-Kennedy in 44/40 with black powder loads and proceeds to wax us with that baby. Man, was it fine to see the nifty rifles the folks were using. And again I ran second to Brownie with my 38/40.

I took my friend Butch along to be my "spotter" and I'm betting he'll go back with me next month and take some of his shooters. He has a model 92 takedown 44/40 in really nice condition that we just need to chase down a tang sight for and he'll be in business. And several 22's that also just need some sort of proper sight to lob to the 200 yard zone.

I am a slooow learner. Been missing out on this fun deal for years now (I guess they started doing these shoots about 7 years ago). But I'll go back for sure -- seem like our sort of folks. And certainly our sort of weaponry.

Any of you fellers in this part of the world want to join in, this is the COSSA range east of Bend, Oregon and the folks putting on this shoot are the "Great Basin Sharpshooters" and they have a web site with their schedule of shoots.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My first levergun silhouette shoot

Post by Nath »

Sounds like fun :D

Say, what was that long skinny .25"? That is ringing my bell!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I used to shoot with a guy who shot .22 lr at 200 yds, it was a pain to mark his targets but I admired his marksmanship.. :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

That long skinny 25 might have been the 25-20 Single Shot case.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Checked it out, looks a dandy small game getter to me :)

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Nath wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:23 amSay, what was that long skinny .25"? That is ringing my bell!
Maybe 25-35....?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Thunder50 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:26 am That long skinny 25 might have been the 25-20 Single Shot case.
Yes, that 's the one. Must be kinda' challenging to find brass -- next time I see him I'm going to ask what he does for brass. And see what bullet he is using.

Another fellow had a custom 25 cal. single shot but had it chambered for the 25 wcf, though with a 10" twist (normally 14"). Which is probably what I'd do if I went that route, just because the brass is so much easier to acquire (at least for us folks who already have a bushel of it stashed away and it is also easily made from 32/20). The little 25 wcf has a nice long neck so it is not any trick to use with cast bullets.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Glad you had fun!

.25-25 Stevens, maybe?
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Earl,
It's addicting, that silhouette game. I've been doing it for mmmmm about 15 years. We shoot .22 in the morning, pistol caliber mid morning and big bore after lunch. I also attend the big matches and state champs all over Pa.

Continue, you will really like it. After a while you stop becoming competitive against the others and just start shooting against yourself. I'm rated AAA but seldom shoot my class scores anymore. I'm in it for the camaraderie and showing off my leverguns and generally, just something to do.

Watch what the hombre above me says.....he'll trick you into stealing your guns.-----6
Model A Uzi’s
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Earl, I remember Brownie from the year or two that I was a COSSA member -- and they did hold a special quarter-bore single-shot match at least when I was there. I just watched in wonder and envy. At that time, Jamison was still making very good .25 SS brass, but I am afraid those without a stash are having to go back to Bertram currently.
There were some good folks in that Great Basin bunch and I enjoyed trying to shoot long-range steel with my Model 1884 Trapdoor with those oh-so-fine Buffington sights.
So glad you went and had a good time!