Chiappa Double Badger

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Chiappa Double Badger

Post by gcs »

Anyone have any experience with one of these? Considering the 22 over 410.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Chiappa Double Badger

Post by Les Staley »

I sure like mine! Mine is a NWTF model, 22 Mag over 410, will ground sluice a grouse at 40 yds. Short, light, took a little synthetic grease to get it to open better (real stiff when new). Would like it better in 22 LR, but they were scarce when I bought mine.
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I bought a new DB about 2 years ago, in .22WRM/.410 (before they were available in .22WRM/20ga), and at less than $300, a much better value than the Savage/Stevens Model 24's I've had over the years.

I like the issue fiber-optic front/rear open sights, and that I can transport it folded in an AR-type case I bought at the same time ($25).

When I first received it, the trigger pulled like sand, the gun wouldn't fold fully, and the internals were as dry & gritty as a Camel's crotch - basically, as stiff as my Great-Grandmother. ;)

I disassembled it, flushed the internals with new kerosene, then lubed the lockworks before I removed & greased (white grease) the hinge pin - which smoothed the gun out considerably.

The bottom lever both opens & cocks the gun, and when it's released to load the barrels are opened, the portion of the lever that acts as the rear of the triggerguard when closed snaps back against the lower tang too loudly to suit me while hunting with it - which I remedied via applying a small spot of the felt (that bowhunters use to keep their arrows from making noise when embracing the bow's riser during the draw) on the bottom of the receiver, where the end of the lever impacts it.

My sole serious gripe is that with all the .22 WRM abo I tried ( I have hundreds each of several different makes/load/boolit types of .22WRM), the POI is still a few inches above my POA @ close (predator calling) range (20-25yds).

I know that I can switch out the front FO sight for a taller one to remedy the fault, but simply just haven't gotten around to do it, despite having excellent results on our Eastern Coyote hereabouts. (I took a few with the .22WRM & a couple with #4 buck in the .410).

I feel that the Chiappa DB's are an excellent value (bang for the buck ? ;) ), easy to tote through the woods, and accurate enough for the critters I use it for.

gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

Thanks guys, that helps, Pete, is that a pic of the #4 buck pattern?, what yardage can you keep a decent pattern with that?
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I have a 22 over 20 gauge. Love it, have 410 adapter for it but haven’t tried it out yet. Really like the dual triggers. Shot loads don’t kick much at al. #3 buck patterns nice at 25 paces and doesn’t kick to bad. Slugs kick quite a bit and only shoot 3-5 at a time. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

For a second there I thought it said "Double Bagger" as in an extremely ugly woman aka "Texas Double Bagger".
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31