Unexpected find, old 99 Savage

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Unexpected find, old 99 Savage

Post by 2ndovc »

Stopped by one of my favorite shops the other day. They haven't had any good used stuff in some time but I just happed to be there at the right time.

Just happened to spot a Savage 99 in the used rack and asked to take a look. Mismatched butt stock and someone pirated the tang sight but it was in fair shape. the $325 price tag got me excited. Looking down the bore gave me some serious apprehension but It looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years. Told the counter guy it looked like you could grow potatoes down there. :shock:

SN dates it out at 1946. :D

Got it home and cleaned it up. The bore is like a mirror, the debris was copper fowling that had been growing for who knows, how long. The patches came out Zombie green! I picked up a box of factory .300 Savage ammo today and I've scrounged a NOS set of RCBS dies from gunbroker.

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Unexpected find, old 99 Savage

Post by Pete44ru »

Nice - a Model 99EG !

More than a few here, just love their Savage leverguns !

Judicious application of the right stain will match that FE to the buttstock in a NY Minute.

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks Pete! Don't know snot about the 99's. Looking forward to getting it out to the range, don't know anything about the .300 Savage either. It's a popular cartridge to the east and north of us. PA and MI shows are full of them, but here in the Flat Lands they are Verboten for deer season and go cheap. It's a long rifle, even with a 24" barrel it towers over my 94's and 92's in the rack.

jb 8)

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Good snag Jason.......and an excellent price........once you get to shooting that Savage you will turn your nose up at Winchesters and Marlins...and I'm a Winchester guy.---6
Model A Uzi’s
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Nice snag! 99's grow on you the more you shoot them the more you like them.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I would say that you did good on that deal. Can imagine how many big bucks that rifle laid down? It would be nice to sit down with a cup of coffee and talk to it and hear some real hunting stories.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

JerryB wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:55 pm I would say that you did good on that deal. Can imagine how many big bucks that rifle laid down? It would be nice to sit down with a cup of coffee and talk to it and hear some real hunting stories.
If only we could, congratulations Jason.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

Congratulations on a great find..!!!!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I don't know anything about them, but that sounds like a good buy. I hope it is a good shooter.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Am jealous :mrgreen:

300 savage was daddy to the 308. Winchester just improved the case for slightly higher pressures.
Know for accuracy and efficiency.
You done good pardner.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

2ndovc wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:49 pm Thanks Pete! Don't know snot about the 99's.
Yer welcome !

Since that Savage cocks-on-closing, it can be stored un-cocked via opening the lever (to double-check for a chambered load), and holding the trigger to the rear while closing the bolt/lever.

As noted above, the .300 Savage was used to develop the .308 Winchester in the early 1950's, and is as usable for game as the .308.

There might be an LBC (Lever Boss Code - letters in an oval) that would show it's D.O.M. (google: Savage Date Codes) - but if it was made prior to the start of Savage using the LBC in 1949, it might be traceable by it's SN.

mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

envious!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Oh you stole it! That 300 is very close to equaling a 308 and since you are loading for it the deer will never know the difference. Just don't go crazy with your loads for that old 99.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

JerryB wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:55 pm I would say that you did good on that deal. Can imagine how many big bucks that rifle laid down? It would be nice to sit down with a cup of coffee and talk to it and hear some real hunting stories.
That would be something. I have a few other that like to hear some stories from. A Finn 39, an '86 in 33WCF, a '95 SRC, a well worn P38 and most of all a 1913 dated 1911!

Judging from the 99 Savage prices at the show today, it looks like I did ok! :D

jb 8)

And I promise I won't hot rod the reloads. :D

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Jason, well done. I have had a couple 99's in 300. People keep offering me more than I paid for them so they go down the road, but I still want a nice old one in 300. I loaded ammo for 300 savage and it does every bit as well as my 308's. Enjoy and you did very well price wise. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
KeithNyst
Levergunner 1.0

Post by KeithNyst »

That will make a great deer rifle. The 300 is a pleasure to fire with considerably less recoil than a .308 and deer don’t know the difference. Easy to load to 2550-2600fps with 150s and get 1.5” or less groups. You will really like it.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

That's a nice rifle. The ones with the safety on the lever can be de-cocked like was described above. He later tang mounted safety's, not possible. My 99 well is dry at the moment, but I'm sure one will find its way into my safe one of these days
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

New dies should be her by the end of the week. I won't be out to the range until Wed/ Thursday. Had a couple of jobs come in and one that won't go as planned. Really looking forward to shooting this one, though I have two or three others that haven't been out yet. I haven't had a 99 for many years.

jb 8)