The Bad Lands....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
David
Levergunner 3.0

The Bad Lands....

Post by David »

So I've decided I'm going to get in my truck and drive there, sounds like September would be best after everyone else leaves (so they say).
I'd be interested in all recommendations on being there.
Is there actually someplace (lot of land out there) I could legally take a long rifle to shoot?
I haven't shot what I consider my long range rifle for 15 years or so, it's hard to find a place anywhere around me.
Obviously I want to also go see the heads but I'm just going to start googling for ideas.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Re: The Bad Lands....

Post by AmBraCol »

I'll be in the general area the second week of October, the Good Lord willing and travel plans work out. Still don't know if I'll make it that far north or not, but am looking at what'd take to make it work. A lot depends on whether or not I'll be accompanied at that point or not. Can't recommend much as haven't been up there since the end of the last century. :D
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Do you mean the badlands of the Dakotas? Check for National Forest lands. Unless theres fire restrictions then, you should be OK to shoot on National Forest lands. Looking at maps, then google searching for places may turn up references for places to shoot.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Buffalo Gap National grass lands starts close to Wall S.D. & there is lots of land & miles of two track roads
yes bring a long range gun, lots of good targets at all sorts of ranges, at one time I hunted a lot of that ground & you may even find some prairie dogs, but you may check to see if you can shoot them as I read they released the black footed ferret & may have
restricted shooting the prairie dog?

Brad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Just think about visibility/safety....If you set up a target at 1,000 yards then go back to your shooting position, some innocent party could wander into your fire-zone during that time frame. I'd be more comfortable with some sort of 'watcher' out towards the impact zone who could signal or call me if that happened, at least on public land.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Shooting isn't the priority I just want to know what to see, where to go, and maybe good places to sleep other then in my truck ...