Totally off topic, :)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Totally off topic, :)

Post by gcs »

My wife loves watching "Midsomer Murder" on Netflix, something like 20 years worth and she's on her second go round. For those that are unaware, it's a British detective show in the fictional county of Midsomer and theres at least 3 and up to 5 murders to be investigated per show.

Now I know it's only a TV show, but, the attitudes of the characters in the show are, in our mind, unbelievably rude, cold, downright nasty and not just to the police, but to friends,?, family, and strangers.
So now I'm wondering, does art imitate life here?

I know we have some brothers here from "over the pond", not that any of Them are ill humored, lol, but I would like some comment on the attitudes, and interactions with others, that may or may not be prevalent "over there" , at least as shown in the shows.

I suspect the Brits are much like us in the US, happy, sad, miserable, nasty, nice, etc. but watching these shows makes you wonder.... :shock: , lol
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Totally off topic, :)

Post by Pete44ru »

It's somebody's idea of "entertainment", that's all.

mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

I think you got a point. I visited the UK. Nice place, people are much the same anywhere but Brits do tend to snap and snipe at each other a lot.If anyone shows offence they write it off as their 'great sense of humor' . And they do have great sense of humour but I had it explained to me(by Brits) the attitude wasn't as prevalent in the old days, one of the reasons being too much childish stuff and you got a punch on the nose. I think most cultures have gone a bit downhill in that way to be honest.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I can't say I have noticed any unusual behaviour in the show, the folks are after all living in a village were you are likely to be murdered for winning first prize in the flower show. :lol:
That particular series was criticized for not having enough black actors but as the writers quite rightly pointed out, there are not that many black people living in little country villages deep in the countryside.
The scenes where pheasant and clay shooting are shown make me cringe, I would love to be on set to make sure they at least tried to get it right...... :roll:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I havent seen that program, (programme), but I have seen several seasons of Foyles War. Besides most people being polite, most were also fairly well dressed, which I think matches what little of history that I recall from pictures. It made me smile seeing farmers wearing ties and what today would be considered dress coats/jackets for daily wear, and most wore a hat. Rather made me miss the days when people took some pride in how they looked, quite in contrast to today, when people go out wearing what looks like pajamas and slippers, or seem to try to wear as little as is legal, decency be danged.

I dont know if the imagery depicted in Foyles War is any more correct than the other program mentioned, but it makes me wish it were so.

Another fun portrayal of British culture Ive enjoyed, at least the small bit Ive seen is The Last Kingdom. The dress custom was a little more relaxed than the period portrayed in Foyles War, they may be considered somewhat more rude, what with killing visitors (Danes) with swords and such.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I watch them. I like BBC mysteries. I have since I read my first Agatha Christie. There detectives are no more unusual than ours. The character has to be somewhat interesting or the show would flop.

By the way, Foyle's War was one of the best. But they've had a few others that involve French, Italian and Swedish detectives. All have had a different feel. Another excellent series was Prime Suspect. The star is Helen Mirren.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad