Do You Use K&N Air Filters?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Do You Use K&N Air Filters?

Post by Blaine »

If so, did you get an increase of your MPGs?
I have the 6.2 gas engine F250. I average 17 on the road.
At 3 bucks a gallon, I'd save 125 Bucks every 10,000 miles with just a 1 mpg increase. Not huge, but perhaps worthwhile.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Do You Use K&N Air Filters?

Post by GunnyMack »

I looked at them years ago, mechanic buddy told me that yes they flow better but allow much more fine particles through so I went to a washable Amsoil filter for my Cummins.slight increase in mpg, however diesels are a different animal. Up to 25 on the highway!

When I know I'm going 'long distance ' I always use cruise control, better control of throttle and increased mpg. Also the faster you go the more fuel needed so keep to posted limits and mpg stays up.

My gas truck if I do 65 with cruise I get about 20-21, push it up to 70 and I get 17-18.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I've used K&n filters for years and years.

186k on my Honda Element, and I might have to add 1/2 qt. of oil every 5K.

Theoretically, they are said to let smaller particles pass by. In practice, it's
not usually a problem. I currently have them in 3 or 4 motorbikes, my truck
and the car. No issues with them. I DID put one in an old Crown Vic my son had,
and the excess oil and some very fine particles supposedly dirtied up the Mass
Air Sensor. A squirt with some cleaner, and all was well. I don't know how common
this complaint is, but I've never had a problem on MY vehicles.

I haven't seen any huge increases in mileage. (In fairness, I haven't noted any
decreases, either! :D ) There may be a little bit more power, but it's not much.
A lot depends on how restrictive (or dirty :shock: ) the original air filter element was.
The intake kits that they sell supposedly provide significantly more power, but I don't
think I need any more in the truck, and I'm too cheap to buy the whole kit for the
Element right now.

The big advantage is that I don't buy air filters every 10K. Service every 25K to 50K
depending on how things look. The Element needs attention every 50K or so, the
Triumph Rocket every 25K for sure, the truck looks like 50K, and because I put so
few miles on the SR500 and the GL1100, it's conceivable that I could die of old age
before they need to be cleaned and re-oiled. Within 50K they've paid for themselves.
The warranty is a million miles. (In Maine, my car and truck will rust out LONG before
I reach a million miles on either one! :lol: ) They don't void new car or motorbike warranties.

My two cents.

-Stretch
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

I have used them in the past, never noticed enough increase in anything to continue.
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

I have had one in the Honda V65 Magna motorcycle since 5,000 or so miles and have 64,000 on it now. Just serviced it and looks as good as new.

Had one on the 2003 Corvette for 60,000 or so miles and had in in Chevy Dealer for a MAF sensor code and the shop foreman told me the code was set because of excessive oil from the K&N air filter but to not worry that he was going to swap it out for a new stock one to keep it under warranty for me. WRONG! They put it back in and screwed GM to justify some other BS. The filter is as new. Cleared the code and it has not come back on and now at 119,000.

Beats replacing with a new paper filter on a regular basis. I have never had an increase/decrease in gas Milan with rather vehicle. Go for it. Neither of mine uses any oil yet.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I've had one in my Harley for years. It breathes much better, cause you have to increase your fuel quite a bit. If you don't, it runs way lean.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Yes, on my Sunbeam Alpine with 3/4 race ford 2.8 l V6 in it.
Engine runs great and I have no idea what gas mileage it gets. There is a Holley 4 barrel under the chrome.
Last edited by crs on Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

crs wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:37 pm Yes, on my Sunbeam Alpine with 3/4 race ford 2.8 l V6 in it.
Engine runs great and I have no idea what gas mileage it gets.
NIce! A sort-of Sunbeam Tiger. With that lighter front end, I'll bet it handles much better than the Tiger. I always wanted one of those.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I used them in a Norton 850 Commando, but had to re-jet the carbs to compensate for the freer flow - They (I had 2 - dual carbs) gave a nice jump in HP, too.

crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

BTT - added picture:
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

My opinion the main advantage to them is you can clean them and keep on keepin on. The only time you need more flow is when you are loaded up and climbing a grade or passing. Even then you only get as much airflow as the smallest restriction in the intake system. There is also a little extra noise with them. You will hear engine noise through intake. Be fun to have a oil bath filter like the old days!
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I have them on both my super duty diesel, and my Mustang GT. I like them, but what do I know.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Have one on my gas engine for 8 years now, and not sure I noticed any increase in mileage. But I like that it's reusable after a simple cleaning, so I'm happy with it for that reason.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/