Browning B92 Centennial

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gary4242
Levergunner

Browning B92 Centennial

Post by Gary4242 »

Hi,
I have just purchased a 1978 Browning B92 in 44 Mag. The previous owner replaced the original sights with Williams Peeps. and I believe he installed a higher front blade (pinned)

I am going purchase a rear Marbles semi buckhorn sight (#67), but am unsure as to the standard height or get the "H".

Does anyone know how match the rear sight to the front sight.......... before you answer........ I do not have the gun yet and do not know the height of the blade that is on the gun or what the original one...........

Thanks,
Gary
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Browning B92 Centennial

Post by Sixgun »

Gary,
Just shoot it first as varying bullet weights and velocity along with shooter hold will sometimes drastically alter the point of impact and you really don't know what the previous owner used. Your ammo/loads may be on the money as far as impact goes. Plus, if the gun is shooting low, it will be a no brainer to file down the front sight.----6
Model A Uzi’s
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Gary4242 wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:59 am
Does anyone know how match the rear sight to the front sight.......... before you answer........ I do not have the gun yet and do not know the height of the blade that is on the gun or what the original one...........

Firstly, Gary - WELCOME to the fire ! ! . :)

As far as the sights go, whoever installed the receiver sight most like found out that the original front sight blade wasn't tall enough to zero the rifle, and therefore most likely installed a taller front sight blade.

A receiver peepsight is the Gold Standard for Winchester lever action rifle sights, giving very good accuracy, and a fast/clear sight picture (if the peep aperture is large enough, and the rear barrel open sight removed & replaced with a dovetail slot filler blank).

However, it's your rifle, so if you want to go back to open sights, first install the replacement rear sight & try to zero the rifle @ 100yds (a few shots closer will help the process).

Then:

If the 100yd point of impact (POI) is too high to zero the rifle with the rear sight adjustment all the way "down", then a taller front sight blade is indicated.

If the 100yd POI is too low to zero the rifle with the rear sight adjustment all the way "up", then a shorter front sight blade is indicated.

If the 100yd POI is spot on, as noted above, you're done.

A taller front sight blade can be bought; a shorter front sight blade might be able to be fashioned from the existing front sight blade via shooting, filing the blade down a bit, shooting, filing, shooting, filing, shooting, etc, etc, until zero is achieved - which will only work with a plain/post front sight blade, w/o a bead.

In any event, the distances of the top of the front sight from the bore centerline (C/L) should equal the distance of the rear sight notch (with the sight in the middle of it's up/down adjustments) from the bore C/L.
The bore C/L at both sight locations can be determined by measuring the barrel outer diameter (O.D.) at each location (even by measuring side-to-side ;) ), then halving the measurement.

That half measurement gets added to the height of the top of each sight from the top of the barrel.

Good luck with your new rifle - I've had a couple of B-92's over the years, and they're just great.

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Give me a day or two and I can tell you what the factory sight heights were.

That always baffled me, the Centennials had the pinned blade, the regular production B92s had the one piece base and blade. Mine zeroed fine with the factory front sight and a Lyman receiver sight.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Gary4242
Levergunner

Post by Gary4242 »

Thanks, to everyone for your replies and advise.