Grizzlies in our Moose Hunting area in Caribou District BC

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Grizzlies in our Moose Hunting area in Caribou District BC

Post by daisygordoninc »

I just visited with my guide Chris Condie in BC about this fall's moose hunt. He said since they have ended grizzly hunting there
the grizzlies are moving into other areas, they have spotted two already in the area we hunt for moose. I'm not quite sure
why they quit issuing tags for grizzlies but they will multiply and start causing some trouble like they have in Wyoming where
they are finally giving people a chance to draw for a tag, 500 total tags I think. They have become a real problem and danger
in Wyoming. Wouldn't mind seeing one in a non-threatening situation. Thankful to be able to go after my 3rd moose this fall,
I'm taking 3 guys with me from my church. We have taken 5 in 4 years, sometimes just 2 of us have gone.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Grizzlies in our Moose Hunting area in Caribou District BC

Post by Pete44ru »

I would definitely take more gun, than is needed for Moose...… :roll:

daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

I actually am seriously thinking about more gun, I usually hunt moose with my 338 Marlin Express,
thinking about taking one of my Winchester 338 Magnums.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

I've never seen exactly how many tags but I don't think it is anywhere near 500. The grand total (if everything goes right on what sex is shot) is a total of 24 bears killed. In the Greater Yellowstone Demographic Monitoring Area (DMA) (which is twice the size of the Park) there will only be two hunters allowed in the entire area at any one time. If a female is shot, only one hunter will be allowed at a time. All hunters will have to have satellite messaging equipment and inform WY Fish and Game within 24hrs of a kill and what sex. If too many females are shot, even outside the DMA, the total drops significantly. Just like mountain lion and some other species, once the limit is reached any and all hunters still in the field must cease and desist immediately. They will receive this message on the same device that they report a kill with. Once two females are killed in the DMA all hunting stops there whether you payed your $6000 or not. So if the first two hunters screw up, none of the other hunters who payed up will even get a chance to enter the area. The DMA includes large chunks of Idaho and Montana but I don't think either plan on having a hunt.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

Wow, I didn't hear the details, doesn't sound like they seriously want to lower the count much at all.
I have a friend that lives above Dubois, they have become a problem in their area. Where do you live,
are they a problem in your area ?
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Daisy, the grizzlies just need to eat a few more granola munchers. Then the tag number will go up.

I do have an alternate solution, and one to please everyone but the granola munchers. You see, here in California our state animal is the grizzly. Heck it is on our state flag. Yet, we have exactly zero grizzlies in the wild. I proposed that we accept an offer, I believe it was from Wyoming, to import a significant number of grizzlies into California. Enough to get a good breeding population.

It seems like a win all around. Wyoming gets rid of some grizzlies. We get our state animal back in the wild. The grizzlies get to live and breed. Funny thing is though, and you'd never think it could happen, the loudest group protesting such a plan was the Sierra Club. Yep, granola munchers central doesn't want grizzlies here because as they stated it themselves, they are afraid people will be attacked.

I just thought of another win. We reduce the number of granola munchers in the state.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

daisygordoninc wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:56 pm Wow, I didn't hear the details, doesn't sound like they seriously want to lower the count much at all.
I have a friend that lives above Dubois, they have become a problem in their area. Where do you live,
are they a problem in your area ?
Kinda the point; they have no intention to lower the total numbers. The granola munchers would never allow it. They (and they constitutes many entities) "estimate" that there are approximately 674 bears in the total area (which is more than twice as large as the Greater Yellowstone DMA) and includes large chunks of Montana and Idaho that, in theory, contribute to the breeding population; at least genetically, of the GYDMA. The goal of WY is never see a number lower than 575 for the entire area. That includes ones shot for any reason or even hit by a truck going down I-90. If it gets that low, it hasn't been said but I imagine that hunting will stop. To tell the truth, with all the granola crunching judges (mostly in Montana), I seriously doubt if the hunt comes off at all. And no, I don't live in the area (I'm east of Casper) and if I walk out the door and see a grizz, that will be one dead *** or at least as dead as two barrels of 715 round ball will get it :mrgreen: And yes, Dubois has been bad for a long time. So is the Sunlight basin north of Cody. Both areas, a gunshot is a dinner bell. I know many folks that quit elk hunting in those areas due to the bad bears. Doesn't matter as the wolves thinning the herds are making even less of a reason to go hunt there, which is exactly what the granolas want. So I guess they win.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

Thanks for the additional info. I know several people have been attacked in the Dubois area in the last few years,
a Government contract worker eaten. You probably are up on those instances. My own granddaughter has worked
in the Yellowstone back country for the Government and she believes she is perfectly safe with her bear spray.
I can't believe people actually believe that but many do. We have many black bears and cougars in our area here
in Western Oregon, population of both is growing way out of control because dogs are not allowed to hunt either
now and very few are killed. You likely know that a cougar ate a large man, and nearly ate his friend, they
were on bikes in Washington. We have cougars now near us where I walk, never without a gun in my pocket.
The young people have been brainwashed here just as badly as anywhere else, it's quite amazing what they
are being told in schools and colleges. The "all life matters" granola eaters have taken over some of the minds
of younger generations. People here in Western Oregon are routinely seeing bears and cougars on their patios
these days.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Friend, you and I both know we need to relocate a few dozen each of bears and cougars to Multnomah County. That will quickly sort out this mess -- and maybe scatter some of the "homeless."
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

Bill,

I know you used to live in Oregon, so you pretty much know exactly what goes on here, Portland liberals dominate our entire state,
and moving bears and cougars to Portland area might be a good start.