Winchester 9mm "WinClean" ammo, S&W M&P

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Winchester 9mm "WinClean" ammo, S&W M&P

Post by 2ndovc »

I bought a couple of cases of Winchester WinClean, 9mm 124 gr target ammunition last year for my target nine millimeters. I was really impressed at how accurate it was and it lived up to it's name, the clean up was surprisingly light. However, I've found it to be quite unreliable. I don't have a chronograph but the report and recoil are noticeably less than other factory loads. I had thought my new Springfield 1911 had a problem but I was having the same issues with the stuff in my Hipower, CZ 75 and the new M&P 2.0.
At 25 yds the groups are tight, the best was from the Hipower at just about 1 1/2" with the Springfield right behind it an 1/8 larger. The M&P didn't like that stuff at all, feeding wise. Good groups again but I couldn't get through a full magazine without a FTF or a stovepipe. Switching to El Cheapo Grande, Tula 115 steel case shells resulted in Zero failures but 3" groups. Federal 147gr FMJ brought the groups right back down to the 1 1/2" range and also zero failures.
Anyway, the stuff is ok for targets and learning to clear a jam, but don't count on it for anything other than punching holes in paper.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 9mm "WinClean" ammo, S&W M&P

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Tula ammo is the dirtiest ammo I have used, it also produced stovepipes in my P95. That pistol functions with everything else, Wolf ammo was always reliable for me. Tha amazing accuracy from W-W 124gr. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Send the LOT numbers along with a short letter of your disappointment to Winchester. Sometimes it pays to complain, they might send you a couple boxes.
Years ago I bought some Federal 22's , the stuff they marketed for Olympic Ammo, it didn't shoot for beans in my HB 10/22, they sent me a mixed brick of different lots- none of it shot as well as CCI Greentag.( Greentag was twice as many in a box and 1/3 the cost,)
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

3leggedturtle wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:32 pm Tula ammo is the dirtiest ammo I have used, it also produced stovepipes in my P95. That pistol functions with everything else, Wolf ammo was always reliable for me. Tha amazing accuracy from W-W 124gr. Todd/3leg
Oops, that was supposed to be 15 yds. :roll: That's what I get for not proofreading. Still not bad for offhand though.

Gunny,
I had a box of Remington .300 BO that five out of 20 didn't fire. I sent off an email with some pictures and never heard anything. For what I'll use the Winchesters for, it's not that big of a deal but dissapointing.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I hear ya JB, still disappointing that a company like Winchester cant keep QC up to snuff!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

When the Mass State Police bought 45 ACP pistols a few years ago, they issued Winclean ammo for range use only. There was some talk about it being unreliable for duty use.
The word on the street blamed the primers.

Jack