Winchester mod 94AE hammer spring guide rod ,will this work?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
remshooter
Levergunner 1.0

Winchester mod 94AE hammer spring guide rod ,will this work?

Post by remshooter »

U34280020_100x100.jpg
this is a Winchester mod 94AE hammer spring guide rod ,,you will notice ,it has only ONE upper prong ,i assume because of the receiver push button safeties on some year rifles .My 94AE was made in 1984 so has no safeties,but still has the rebounding hammer ,my hammer spring guide rod has TWO upper prongs ,can i still use the guide rod with ONE prong without any problems ?just wondering since my rifle has no safety button on right side ,that it will have a gap causing the hammer to bind or move sideways .I want to grind off the lower rebound legs ,because of light strikes and put a wolffe lower power main spring to lower trigger weight from 6.2 pounds that it has now ,would rather keep original guide rod in original condition ,in case i sell it,or this mods dont work ,hence ,trying this one prong part ,have not found a 2 pronger even on internet
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Winchester mod 94AE hammer spring guide rod ,will this work?

Post by J Miller »

remshooter,

I do not know if that single prong spring guide will work or not, so I'll just tell you what I did to help my no safety AE.

I took the lower tang out and made sure it was clean and that the trigger stop and sear spring were not binding or dragging on the side of the tang.
Then I polished everything that moved against anything else. Make sure to polish the sides of the spring guide, mine had such sharp edges it cut me. Polish the edges of the four fingers too as well as the sides of the hammer where it rides against the internal sides of the tang.
Then try it. On mine I was able to reduce the trigger pull noticeably by just polishing the action. And I did not change out the hammer spring.

Next remove the bolt and pull the firing pin. You'll see it's a skeletonized thing that is much lighter than the original solid ones.
Make sure the firing pin hole and pin is clean and free from debris and burrs. This will help with the light primer strikes.
Note: this light weight FP requires a lot of speed to reliably fire primers, this is why I don't suggest lightening the hammer spring.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

My experience says do not lighten the main spring!
Do get some fine stones and work the sears.

If you have to heavy a trigger it is due to the sear angles and changing a spring won't fix that. All my 94's were only fixed by sear work. The standard 94ae sears act more like hooks than sears. You are in effect cocking the gun with the trigger finger so to speak!

Miss fires on standard springs can be caused by gunk build up in the bolt on the w94.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
remshooter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by remshooter »

J Miller ,what grit sandpaper did you use to polish this guide rod with?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

remshooter wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:21 am J Miller ,what grit sandpaper did you use to polish this guide rod with?
I used a fine grade knife sharpening hone IIRC. That metal is hard. For the rest I used a polishing paper that was given to me. But any fine 600 grit or finer wet or dry sand paper should work.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

IF you can find a hammer strut for a late model mdl 94 (above ser# 4,580,000), that is the part you WANT. (https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/301750) The two prong model is for the rebounding hammer, but if one leg is cut off, it won't properly hold the hammer at full cock. I have used the pre-AE strut on an AE hammer and it works fine. Numrich gun parts gets them in stock from time to time... but keep your eyes peeled... I buy them whenever I see them. I'd like to find a machine shop that could make them for me... but, I keep forgetting.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!