Leaves of three, leave it be ...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

hairy vine no friend of mine.

THIS:
IMG_7395.JPG
is growing across the street from us.

I'm seriously allergic to this demon vine so I won't even go close to it.
We've told the neighbors but it's a rental house and I'll bet the landlord does nothing about it.

Now since this stuff grows around here, what would be the best way to kill this vine without killing the tree?

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Leaves of three, leave it be ...

Post by 2ndovc »

Joe,

My wife uses Roundup but diluted with water just a bit, about 20% I'd say. She sprays it on and around the full grown trees with no side effects that I've noticed. She uses a standard pressure sprayer and lightly wets down the plants. We've been battling the stuff since we bought the place in '03. Her boys just have to look at it and they're done. I have to really get into it before I have any problems, but her youngest ended up in the ER once because it was so bad.
Nasty stuff!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

There are commercial poison ivy killers but ya still gotta spray it on.
Since it's the oil from the leaves of poison ivy that causes us to itch I have found that acetone evaporates the oil, it's not great for your liver but...
I've even used acetone when I have the typical blisters boy oh boy does that sting!

Whatever you do DONT set the tree on fire!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Goats.

They LOVE it, plus sometimes drinking the milk of ivy-eating goats dramatically reduces the allergic reaction you get.

They'll eat bark off smaller trees and kill them though.....like the nice Asian pear we had... :|

We don't milk ours any more, but when we did I got so used to the sweeter, creamer taste of fresh goat milk that cow milk always tastes watered down now to me.

A friend had a shrub called Hoptree growing on each side of his city walk up to his door, and it also has three-leaflet leaves just like poison ivy. The shrub is harmless but he let it grow out enough it would touch you if you came up the front sidewalk; he never had any trouble with door-to-door salesmen....!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

We have award wining poison ivy here Joe . :shock: . roundup does pretty well , might be an opportunity for a midnight raid to end the threat.....if not they make stronger brush killers.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

It's a problem that it's on some one else's property but first thing I'd do is take a machete and *lightly* go around that trunk, close as the ground as I could get.

I emphasize lightly since you'll only want to cut the stems, not get too deep into the bark.

Anywhere you do cut a stem, use the tip of the machete to lever them away from each other to be absolutely sure.

That will take care of the stuff up high, down on the ground will require stronger stuff for the new growth.

The new growth will be easier of take care of, but I'm not familiar enough with Round-up use around trees to know what's effective or not.

(wear disposable gloves and wash off that machete with soap and water, twice to be sure before using it again or putting it back in the sheath!)
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I would caution you about going on another's property. 8)
You might, maybe get some reaction from the city/county about someone having a severe hazard on their property.
I remember you saying there were lots of Bros around. Don't pee them off. Ain't worth it.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

That vine makes me itch just looking at it. However there's no way I'd go on any one elses property. My question about what to do about was in case some sprout over on my side of the road.
We've already told the people who live in the house, hopefully they'll do something about it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Twodot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Twodot »

I have used borax (the 20 Mule Team kind) to kill the plants if they aren't too big. Just throw a handful on the wet leaves and wait 5 or 6 days.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I am one of the lucky ones who can sleep in poison ivy without any trouble. PillHer gets a rash even from English Ivy. I get to kill the stuff and then wash my clothes.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. :wink:

Seriously though, I've see people who react badly to poison ivy still react long after the vines browned out completely after being poisoned and then cut. The stuff is nasty. Usually doesn't bother me too much; some years it does, others it does not. We had a few junk sweet gum trees wrapped in it when moved here.
I cut the whole trees down because they were dead, and my neighbor offered to help me toss the wood in the back when he saw me working on it. I warned him about the poison ivy on them, and he said "I'm not allergic". I barely reacted at all; he went to the hospital the next day! :shock:
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Too much roundup will damage the tree
MSMA works for poison oak/ivy with repeated applications. Use a little soap in the mixture to help keep it from just rolling off the leaves. MSMA won't usually hurt a barked plant.

It will be easier to kill if you cut the vines as suggested, then spray the new growth.

REPEATED applications
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
308magtip
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 308magtip »

Farmer neighbor told me the sure way is to wait until all the leaves on any vine type plant have dropped for the fall.Then cut the stem at ground level and spray the stump with a special herbicide that kills vines.This way the poison will be carried down into the roots andkill it from the source.best then to get someone to remove the vine clinging to the tree or post.If you have humming birds trumpet vine attracts them but it grows like a noxius weed and then needs root kill to get rid of it...