Navy arms buffalo hunter

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Navy arms buffalo hunter

Post by barbarossa »

Anyone ever shoot a navy arms buffalo hunter ,I saw one a little while ago and am thinking on picking it up
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Re: Navy arms buffalo hunter

Post by 765x53 »

A "sporterised" Zouave.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I had one a few years ago, unfortunately due to UK gun laws it was smooth bored. It was reliable and handled well, wish I still had it.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

In the early or mid 70s Val Forgett and another guy did an African safari with those rifles. It was pretty interesting reading. They worked up some pretty heavy loads and did pretty good work on the large stuff. A backup shot was taken by a guide on I think an elephant, but it was later determined to be unnecessary. Very impressive rifles overall.

I may be able to turn up that write up if anyone is interested, or perhaps someone else here may have that Shooters Bible.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Malamute wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:34 pm In the early or mid 70s Val Forgett and another guy did an African safari with those rifles. It was pretty interesting reading. They worked up some pretty heavy loads and did pretty good work on the large stuff. A backup shot was taken by a guide on I think an elephant, but it was later determined to be unnecessary. Very impressive rifles overall.

I may be able to turn up that write up if anyone is interested, or perhaps someone else here may have that Shooters Bible.
I remember that article. :)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I remember seeing articles about them when I started shooting muzzleloaders ,I believe John wooters was a big fan of the gun I think
Last edited by barbarossa on Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Malamute wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:34 pm In the early or mid 70s Val Forgett and another guy did an African safari with those rifles. It was pretty interesting reading. They worked up some pretty heavy loads and did pretty good work on the large stuff. A backup shot was taken by a guide on I think an elephant, but it was later determined to be unnecessary. Very impressive rifles overall.

It’s in the 1975 Shooters Bible . They had a Navy Arms 58 cal Hawken as well .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Val Forgett wrote an article on his 1973 Tanzania safari with George Nonte in the first Lyman Black Powder Handbook, published in 1975. They shot the big 610-grain Shiloh minie over 180 grains FFFg in their Navy Arms Hawkens, and Forgett shot the same bullet over 125 grains of FFFg in his Buffalo Hunter. I had one briefly and loved the feel of it, but would have upgraded the sights if I had kept it.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

This was mine, in .58 smooth.
I had been using shot most the afternoon but switched to ball for a rabbit.
It was very accurate, this rabbit was head shot at 60 strides, no rifling!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Nath, did you get the penetration you were hoping for?

:lol:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:03 pm Nath, did you get the penetration you were hoping for?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

They are obviously accurate. A lead ball almost as big as the rabbit's head at about 55-58 meters. That is some good shooting.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:03 pm Nath, did you get the penetration you were hoping for?

:lol: :lol:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

gamekeeper wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:25 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Wasn't there a h.p. lovecraft character and a warren zevon song "roland the headless wabbit" ?
m.A.g.a. !