Met another Levergunner Today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Met another Levergunner Today

Post by Griff »

I had the distinct pleasure meeting and shooting with Shasta. Impressive shot! Even helped me diagnose a problem I had with my Uberti 1873... I didn't even know it had!

Went out to his gun club... and fired a few rounds at 50 & 100 meters... I've only shot this maybe 5 rounds on paper @ approx. 75 yards. And, that was more of a test of a load than of the rifle... I didn't even make not of where it shot. But... the 50 meter chicken beckoned... and one must shoot chickens... old guys don't run around fast enough to catch 'em and wring their necks. So... I laid it down on the rest, took careful aim... and was good elevation-wise, but several inches off to the right... Well, I knew my hold was good, let's do that again. Same action... go figure, same result!

Shasta sez... "hold on, I've got a brass punch and a hammer, we'll drift that sight over... see how it's off-center in the "wrong" direction." So... we do that. Closer miss this time. Time to drift some more. That's when we noticed the front of the sight was centered on the octagon flat... but the sight was all "catty-whompus" and not lined up evenly on the barrel. (That's a new technical term fellars)! So, again, Shasta digs in his stash of stuff... and comes up with a rear sight that's not just a near approximation of the factory sight... it's darnned near identical! But, this one lines up with the barrel very straight & true. So I shoot again... Splat! Lead on steel! So, then I try for the piglet at 100 meters! Splat, lead on steel!

I've been shooting this rifle in Cowboy Action for 3 years or better... and seldom miss... but, only because of technique... not because the rifle was sighted in! In general, I shoot from left to right, and as the sights come across the left edge of the target, pull the trigger... Several times during a match... I've jumped the gun, so to speak, and pulled the trigger before the sights are on the target... and still hit! Never even gave it a moments thought... you know... follow-thru and all, it makes sense that I'd hit when the barrel is moving the right direction! And have noted that all my misses were off to the right... just chalked it up to bad technique! I have an excuse! :P :D Then I shot a couple of his rifles... And felt really proud to hit that 500 meter ram with the '03-A3... until he did it "off-hand"!!!!

He tried to talk me into shooting a "2-Bore" flinter! I may LOOK stupid, but it's a disguise folks... I ain't! Now, I have video of him shooting it... and if you can outbid him, I'll post it up!

Had a grand time... I'd have like to have spent much more time visiting... but had to get rollin' and get to grandma's house here in OR before it got too late!

Any way... if you ever get the chance to shoot with Shasta... bring your "A" game... and that still might not get the job done! Thank you for an enjoyable break from the the monotony of my normal day!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Met another Levergunner Today

Post by JerryB »

That sounds like a great time, kind of like a golfer being with Arnold Palmer.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Glad you had a good time.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Good job, Griff. I always suspected that Shasta would be an interesting fellow to meet. We know he has very nice toys!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Thanks for the kind words, Griff. It was an absolute pleasure to finally meet you today. I too wish we could of had more time as you are a mighty interesting feller to talk with. Maybe next time we should schedule a couple days. I'm heading back to the range tomorrow to spend the entire weekend shooting silhouette matches.

I have to say guys that ol' Griff was a whizz with my scoped Springfield 1903A3 sniper rifle, but he sure stayed shy of my 2 bore flinter rifle. Just to show him how easy it was to shoot, I loaded it up and went ahead and fired it "gangsta" style from the hip! OK, so maybe that wasn't really what I had intended to do. The lock was not staying properly cocked for some reason, and the hammer decided to fall all by itself before I could get the rifle shouldered. Good thing I only had a light charge of 150 grains of powder! It has been quite a few years since I've had an unintentional discharge, but the rifle was properly pointing downrange so no harm done other than maybe to my pride.

Oh yeah, ask Griff about his new flashlight...

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

OK, Griff - tell us about yer new flashlight...... :mrgreen:
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Sounds like a good time. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Pete44ru wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 10:44 amOK, Griff - tell us about yer new flashlight...... :mrgreen:
It's actually pretty simple... which is why Shasta said it's called an "Okie flashlight"... :P
Spare bulbs and all!!! :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

:D