H&R Firing Pin

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
308magtip
Levergunner 2.0

H&R Firing Pin

Post by 308magtip »

I picked up a H&R PAL single shot bolt action .22 for my grandson to use at the steel shoots.The gun is very accurate and he can hit rams at 100yds resting on sandbags.I need help finding a new firing pin for this oldie.The orginal was worn and slightly rounded so we squared it up for better contact with the cartridge.It helped but is partial to some ammo.I know a site that deals only in Mossberg oldies.Any levergunner know of a site or business dealing in H & R oldies.If it were not for the grandson I would use it as a wall hanger.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Re: H&R Firing Pin

Post by fordwannabe »

Might try Empire gun parts in Danville Pa, Craig has lots of older oddball stuff.
Popperts gun parts has had some H and R parts I needed in the past. Hope you find what you are looking for.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
308magtip
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 308magtip »

Thanks..Fordwannabe.. Saw a convoy of Fords in age from pre WW2 up to the middle 60's Mustang s going thru Denver,Pa yesterday.Really greay looking cars.As we used to say"Chickmobiles" Maybe seeyou at the Northern Lancaster clubs steel shoot.Let me know and I'll send directions.We had a good turnout on Sunday.Hopefullly next month being fathers day there will be dads and sons there.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Depending on the FP it could be a very simple shape to recreate. Couple files, hacksaw & a vise- only issue could be some heat treat. ( if it's a flat pin that is)
Also, you can take a small cold chisel and give the end a nice smooth radius and lay the FP flat on an anvil, hunk of steel what ever, put the chisel across the pin ( 90 degrees to length of FP) and give it a whack, sometimes they can be stretched some...

Also cross reference the model in a GPC catalogue as it could be available by a different name since H &R made a bunch of stuff.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

If this is the same FP, I would suggest removing it from the bolt, laying it on a flat/hard surface (like a bench vise flat) and peening/swedging the tip to elongate it a few thousandths of an inch.
If it comes out a tad too long, it'd be easy enough to file the tip back a scooch.

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

You might try calling Brownells and see if they have any suggestions.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.