Boy Scouts is pretty much gone and dead.....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Boy Scouts is pretty much gone and dead.....

Post by AJMD429 »

When I read This Article it was the icing on the cake. :|

A century ago the Boy Scouts of America stood proudly for the values of the United States, and set the bar as a role model for young boys and men as they grew up to become good citizens and leaders.

Perhaps the replacement group the Mormon Church is creating to fill the void will stay true to course and facilitate the raising of honorable, moral, young boys aspiring to learn outdoor and teamwork skills in a Christian atmosphere.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Boy Scouts is pretty much gone and dead.....

Post by J Miller »

I've been watching the demise of the Boy Scouts. The leftists have all but won. It's very sad.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Our gun club has Boy Scout activitys, shooting and camping. Several Eagle Scout Badges heavy been earned by projects that improve our club. I hope that doesn't change.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The Scouts now are requiring condoms to be available at camping activities, are allowing alcohol for the adults, and don't require females and males to be separated. I would bet that pound sign me too will crop up in reference to the Scouts soon.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

The most intelligent thing I can say about the absolute desecration of a my once proud, and honor building organization iARRRRGGGG.
This country must stand up now or we are done...if it is not too late already.
I am waiting for the first case of some young teenaged boy being destroyed because he grabbed a young female in his troop, when by all rights the ones strung up are the supposed adults who set it up for the failure to happen.
Again ARRREGGGGHHHHH. WHY MUST WE CAVE IN TO THE STUPID.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I am an Eagle Scout, middle of Baden, last of Powell. My father was, too. I am not giving up on Scouting just yet. This organization is trying desperately to remain relevant in a rapidly changing world -- changes that are not the fault of Scouting. We live in a world in which our kids would rather get morbidly obese playing video games and worshipping their cell phones instead of camping in the rain and learning to tie knots. The days when we taught our boys to go out, chop down trees, lash up signal towers and do Semaphore are long, long gone. Sometimes organizations and institutions get blind-sided by unforeseen shifts in cultural and technological development. (I was a newspaperman. No, we did not see the Internet coming.)
I wish Scouting all the luck in the world finding a course that keeps the organization alive.
As to this condom thing, it is far more nuanced than the cited article lets on.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/boy-s ... -jamboree/
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I was a Boy Scout for along time. Six years agao I sold all of my vintage BSA stuff that I still had on ebay... :(
campsalot
Levergunner

Post by campsalot »

Hi,

I'm new here but I've lurked here for many years. This is a great site!

I think the BSA has made several bad decisions in the last few years but some things are being misrepresented or misunderstood.

World Scouting (not the BSA) allows - possibly now requires condoms at the World Jamboree - this isn't even new.
World Scouting allows smoking at the World Jamboree - this isn't new either.
World Scouting may allow alcohol, under certain conditions, at the World Jamboree - if they do, I doubt it is a new thing.

I am currently a registered Scoutmaster, my wife is on the troop committee and we are both merit badge counselors. My son is an Eagle Scout. My daughter has her Dolly Madison in the American Heritage Girls (a Christian scouting organization). She is also a registered member of a Venture Crew with the BSA. Both my kids are Scout Camp Staff. I have just had to redo my Youth Protection Training and I've had to read and sign a bunch of forms to send my kids off to be Camp Staff (because they are both minors). Also, my daughter's Venture Crew is fairly new and I had to sit in on a bunch of the admin. stuff as the crew was set up. I can clarify a few things.

Drugs and alcohol are not allowed at BSA events (not for kids, not for adults).
Smoking is not allowed around the Scouts at BSA events (at our resident camp there is a small outdoor area, away from the kids, for adult leaders who are smokers).
Scouts more than two years apart in age are not allowed to share tents.
Scouts don't share tents with adults who are not family members.

Venture is, and has been for many years, co-ed teenage scouting.
Girls are not allowed on any overnight activity unless there are at least two girls and at least one female adult leader.
Boys and girls are not allowed to tent together.
Intimate activity (however one wants to describe it) is not allowed.

The girl Cub Scouts are very new but as it has been explained to me the girls are in their own girl dens.
The girl Boy Scouts haven't happened yet but as I understand it, they will be in their own Troops, it could be their own patrols but what I'm hearing is that they will have their own girl troops. Yes, I understand that national wants to call everyone Scouts or Cub Scouts (we'll see how that goes - they tried the name change in the 60's too and I worked for our council in a co-ed pilot program in the 80's).

Any troop would have to accept a gay Scout and I think a transgendered Scout.
It is up to the organization that charters the Scout troop if they accept gay adult leaders or not.

It is a lot more complicated than that but those points address a lot of it.

Some things to think about:

We have stayed in Scouting. We fought several of those changes. We lost but we were there and we fought. Over the last few years I've heard a lot of people complain about what is happening with the Scouts - most of those people were absent from the fight. One doesn't have to have kids in the organization to belong. If everyone who doesn't like what happened had been a registered Scouter things might have turned out differently.

Pretty much every other youth organization caved in on a whole bunch of things years before the Scouts did and so did the Military. I've heard a lot of worries about intimate contact among Scouts but here I think we need to be honest - One of our local JROTC units has had multiple girls come back from an encampment pregnant. I'm kind of an old guy but when I was in high school, the little Christian school in our small town had several teen pregnancies. I'm not crazy about the world we live in but it is the world we live in.

I can't say what everyone else ought to be doing. I don't know how long I'll continue to be involved but in the mean time I'm going to do what Teddy Roosevelt suggested and do what I can with what I've got where I am.

As I said, I really like this forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Campsalot: Thank you for your detailed and informative post. God bless you and yours for keeping the Scouting faith, even in trying times. And yes, humans will be humans with all their strengths and frailties, no matter what outfit they happen to belong to.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Campsalot, Thank you for your view. I am very concerned what the next steps are. I see all the time If they get their foot in the door for something that doesn't seem too bad, in six months,or two years or pick a time Frame It has morphed into a real problem. Maybe because I am a cranky old guy who sees lots of bad stuff in my job, I am paranoid about this stuff, but it happens alot. I appreciate your points though, and hope more than you know...it will all be ok.
TOM
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
campsalot
Levergunner

Post by campsalot »

We are concerned about what the future may hold too, and not just for the Scouts.

There is speculation among some leaders about what the next move may be. I do think it is important to remember that this isn't the first time something like this has happened. In the 60's there was an attempt to "modernize" the Scouts. They de-emphasized some of the camping and outdoor skills, changed the names from Boy Scouts to Scouts (if one looks back through old Boy Scout handbooks one comes to one that just says Scouts on the cover, not Boy Scouts). Anyhow, they lost a lot of membership and had to put a lot of the program back the way it was. Previously, the Boy Scouts have also tried to partner with more than one girls organization and, as I understand it, decades ago there were even discussions about merging with the Girl Scouts. Prior to this recent decision there was another attempt to partner with the Girl Scouts, I know because I had a Boy Scout executive tell me about it. A number of years back the BSA did have a brief memorandum of understanding with AHG but the BSA made changes that made it impossible for AHG to stay partnered with them.

It is also important to remember that the BSA isn't a Christian organization. There is at least one 100 year old Jewish Boy Scout troop. A church or a Christian organization can charter a Christian troop but the BSA isn't and wasn't a Christian organization. Our troop is sponsored by a church and chartered as a Christian troop. We open with a flag ceremony, the Pledge and the Oath and the Law and a prayer and at the close of the meeting we retire the colors and close with prayer. When we are camped on a Sunday morning we try to have a devotional before we head home (not perfect about it but we try). I don't fault the people who went to Trail Life or just plain quit. I am concerned about the future but we'll be here at least until my son ages out and maybe beyond (depends on if the troop still needs my help and how much my daughter likes Venture and if my son joins a Venture Crew when he ages out of Boy Scouts - they can be in Venture to 21).

I feel I should say something levergunish since I am here. I wish 32-20 were more popular. Many of you probably already knew this but If you throw the minimum published charge of Trail Boss and fire it out of a 24" bbl. 32-20 it is pretty quiet. I do think it is harder to get it in the loading gate of a 73 clone than a fatter cartridge like 44-40.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Campsalot, good point about BSA not being a denominationally Christian outfit. Many churches, temples, synagogues sponsor troops of course and there used to be a "God and Country" award. When I was most active in Tacoma, Washington, in the old Mount Rainier Council in the 1960s, the best exhibit at the Scout-O-Rama was always the Buddhist troop whose specialty was first aid. They featured compound fractures and really convincing arterial bleeds to stop. Always drew a crowd! :lol:
campsalot
Levergunner

Post by campsalot »

Bill,

The religious awards are still there. Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts and American Heritage Girls all use the same religious awards but I'm not sure if Trail Life does or not. There are 4 awards in the generic Protestant version and 4 in the Catholic version, some other denominations and faiths don't have as many and I think some only have one. My daughter did all 4 of the Protestant awards through American Heritage Girls and my son has done 3 of them through the Boy Scouts (the fourth is supposedly in progress but teenage boys... -who knows, he may complete it before he ages out. One of my Scouts did all 4 of the Catholic awards and a few other Scouts in the troop have done one or more of the Catholic or the Protestant version.