Commercially Available .45ACP Carbine

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Commercially Available .45ACP Carbine

Post by Pete44ru »

http://iverjohnsonarms.com/store/p160/1 ... rbine.html

Iver Johnson 1911A1 Carbine, drum magazine is available from IJ.

Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Commercially Available .45ACP Carbine

Post by Blaine »

Izzzat legal?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Those were available in the past, but didn't function well with that long barrel. :?
Merle from PA
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

BlaineG wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 5:52 pmIzzzat legal?
It sure is - the only way it's illegal would be if a shorter barrel was installed & the buttstock attached.

Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Does the .45 ACP gain anything in a 16 inch barrel? In that short fat cartridge I would not think there would be many powders which would give increasing velocity past 10 to 12 inches. I could be wrong. I need to do some research and find out if my initial opinion needs to be changed.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Looking at www.ballisticsbytheinch.com shows that 15 to 16 inches typically gives the best velocity for most of the tested loads. A few loads are best at 14 inches. Real world tests show a 50 to 200 fps gain in the tested loads in 16 inch barrels versus 5 inch Colt length barrels.
D. Brian Casady
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The same site shows a .40 S&W round gaining about 100 to 200 fps in a 16 inch barrel vs a 4.5 inch barrel.

The .357 mag shows anywhere from about 350 to 750 fps gain in a Winchester model 94 16 inch vs a Colt Python 6 inch. The .357 mag has the powder capacity to have some major gains.
D. Brian Casady
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I like my MechTech 1911 carbine (they make 'em for Glocks too).

I have a RIA double-stack frame on the MechTech 'upper' so it takes regular 14 to 16 round 45 ACP magazines, but also fits the 20-round ones :mrgreen: and those only protrude about three inches below the magazine well.
Screen Shot 2018-05-22 at 12.27.44 AM.png
(stock photo off their website)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

piller wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 10:03 pm Does the .45 ACP gain anything in a 16 inch barrel? In that short fat cartridge I would not think there would be many powders which would give increasing velocity past 10 to 12 inches. I could be wrong. I need to do some research and find out if my initial opinion needs to be changed.
There's a good reason that the Thompsons issued during WWII had 10-inch barrels.

For the materials available at the time, that was the sweet spot.

:idea:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Honestly, I'd like a PC in .45 acp. Heck, I still kick myself for not getting a Marlin Camp back when they were available.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

jeepnik wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 3:19 pm Honestly, I'd like a PC in .45 acp. Heck, I still kick myself for not getting a Marlin Camp back when they were available.

have you ever looked at the Hi Point carbines? I have one in 40 S&W and it works just fine.
Merle from PA
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

My son has a Hi Point carbine in 9mm, it is heavy but a great shooter and very accurate.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

A good friend who lives near Ennis has a Hi-Point carbine in 9mm. It is accurate and easy to use.
D. Brian Casady
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

piller wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 12:17 pm A good friend who lives near Ennis has a Hi-Point carbine in 9mm. It is accurate and easy to use.
I've never heard anything bad about Hi-Point except people make fun of them. Heavy and ugly, for sure, but they seem to run good.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

If I were to purchase a semi auto rifle for the 45 ACP it would be a Marlin Camp Rifle hands down .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

And they have hicap mags for the hipoints now. I think you can get 20rnd mags for the 45acp.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018 ... -carbines/
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

It's kind of surprising that Rossi hasn't made their Model 92 available in 45 ACP. Would be reminicient of some of those old Winchester 92s that went to Mexico and South America for police use that were converted for that particular round. My cousin had one back in the 70s and we had a lot of fun with the little carbine.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

kaschi wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:16 pm It's kind of surprising that Rossi hasn't made their Model 92 available in 45 ACP. Would be reminicient of some of those old Winchester 92s that went to Mexico and South America for police use that were converted for that particular round. My cousin had one back in the 70s and we had a lot of fun with the little carbine.
It would be a great companion to a 1911. As far as purpose, what about home defense? 50 yards or less and it would be amazing.
D. Brian Casady
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I got out the MechTech yesterday and ran 20 rounds as fast as I could return the laser to the target ('hip' shooting) at 25 yards. 14 seconds for 20 shots. There are three 9mm holes if you can find them, from an earlier sight-in session.
IMG_20220312_180001270.jpg
Here's my "unboxing" post on it from a few years ago:

MechTech: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62454

Not quite the 'classic look' of a Thompson, but if a person wants a 'pistol-caliber' semiauto carbine for in-home use (non-deafening chambering, easier to hit with for novice vs a 1911 pistol, share magazines with CCW gun), it might be worth considering. A version with an integrally suppressed barrel would be even nicer, and I suppose a foldable buttstock would be nice for some applications, since it isn't needed for function like with an AR-15.

IMG_20220312_170826490~2.jpg

...but I'm fine with it as-is...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Shoots pretty darned good.

I keep looking at these from TNW. Haven't researched them much yet, but it seems like a pretty cool set up.

https://www.tnwfirearms.com/product-p/a ... x-xxxx.htm

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That would be nice in the trunk of your car as a get home tool if the Communists in D. C. attack us.
I can get my hands on a Kel-Tec pistol caliber carbine that uses .40 S&W and Glock model 22 standard size or extended magazines. Out ot the 16 inch barrel, there is a different sound. More of a SNAP versus the bang of the pistol. There is another one available which is 9mm and uses Glock 17 magazines. My Wife likes that one. I have tried it with 147 grain subsonic loads. They actually go supersonic out of it. Almost reaching the low end of . 357 Magnum power level. All the pistol caliber carbines would be great for making it home in an extreme situation.

Out of a 16 inch barrel, and loaded with a slower powder, the . 45 ACP is for sure a good antipersonnel round.
D. Brian Casady
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Out of my 18" Contender Carbine, a Lee 255gr RNFP averages 1075fps and Im still a grain ir so under max. 200gr SWC's were easily pushed to 1400fps. The W-W 230gr RN's ammo only went from 830fps to 910fps. 8";Gong at 200 yards swung pretty good when either of them hit it. Short and Fat can still be fast and quick enuf too get the job done.... todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

my house gun is a 9mm keltec sub 2000 or whatever they call them. i have some 25 round pro-mags that some said are worthless, but mine work. i put a rubber buffer in the carbine which i'm taking out because it prevents the bolt from locking back. which it doesn't do on the last round, so "click" is still the clue.

i suspect it is the lightest carbine available. and for tricks it folds in half. WNTL :?:
Last edited by Grizz on Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

piller wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 10:03 pm Does the .45 ACP gain anything in a 16 inch barrel? In that short fat cartridge I would not think there would be many powders which would give increasing velocity past 10 to 12 inches. I could be wrong. I need to do some research and find out if my initial opinion needs to be changed.
It gets you about a foot and a half closer to your target ;)
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Definitely something to keep in mind is the fact that commercial loads that are rated as 'subsonic' are often close enough to the edge to be supersonic from a carbine.

That Warrior Poet Society guy did a segment on "pistol caliber carbines" and the conclusion was that you are entering the heft and cumbersome realm of a 'rifle' (or at least a 'carbine'), yet without the benefit of power and range normally attained as a result. On the other hand if a person is facing a 35 mile hike to get back home in the event of a catastrophe of some sort, I do think accurate hits are possible at longer ranges with something you can bring to the shoulder to steady. The differences between a 'shoulder-stocked pistol', 'short-barreled rifle', and 'compact carbine' are negotiable if not subtle and semantic.

I think they have a role, plus if nothing else they are fun to shoot, and 'fun' is still allowed as far as I know... :D

As boring as it is, probably the best thing to have in a get-home bag would be a couple dozen loaded magazines for your CCW, and maybe a spare of the same gun.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Ah Sarge ! you nailed it. best quip of the week so far
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

Don't forget the Beretta 45 acp carbine
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Blaine wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 4:26 pmI've never heard anything bad about Hi-Point except people make fun of them. Heavy and ugly, for sure, but they seem to run good.
There's a bunch of demolition ranch videos where he buys Hi-Point pistols and tries to destroy them; (he feels the same way about them that Sixgun feels about Rossi's). The funny thing is, he drives rebar into the muzzle and then fires them, fills the bores with concrete or epoxy and fires them, and even threaded a bolt into the muzzle of one and fired it, and he is almost never able to make one blow up.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Looking back at the original post referencing the Iver Johnson 1911 carbine, I'm wondering how the necessity of the long barrel to tip-up (well, maybe better stated that the rear rocks-down) as the gun cycles affects things.

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I'd be quite happy with a Hi-Point in 10mm. With a winter camo effect. -Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

https://cmmg.com/

I have a SBR from CMMG in 45 acp, they make'em in 9mm and 10mm, with a 8" barrel suppressed ! Been real happy with it. Got about 2K round through it and no hiccups so far!

John
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

A friend of mine has a CMMG, 9mm and loves it.

I would like a .45 ACP or 10mm carbine. I've read a couple more reviews on the TNWs and impressed do far.
I have yet to see in person, a HiPoint get through an entire magazine w/o an FTF. Just my experience. Want one? Go for it. They are made here in Ohio and seems to be a lot of them about, but I'll pass.

I have two 9mm carbines, a SIG MPX and one of the newer Ruger PC9s. Both are extremely accurate and will feed and fire any garbage 9mm ammo I've run through them. The only complaint I have about the SIG is that it's heavy for a 9mm. It's been replaced as the go to long gun next to my night stand by the Benelli M4. I've found that I can get the Benelli into action more quickly than the MPX.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Bronco wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:05 am https://cmmg.com/

I have a SBR from CMMG in 45 acp, they make'em in 9mm and 10mm, with a 8" barrel suppressed ! Been real happy with it. Got about 2K round through it and no hiccups so far!

John
Oooh pictures would be good.... :D

Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Here is a couple of pics.

https://imgur.com/a/plKc4tk
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Bronco wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:43 pm Here is a couple of pics.

https://imgur.com/a/plKc4tk
I use those same lights and laser/light combinations on a lot of my firearms. They are really nice.