New Henry Bigboy Steel in 357/38.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rabbit hunter
Levergunner

New Henry Bigboy Steel in 357/38.

Post by rabbit hunter »

I just saw a pro write up on this new carbine, but would like to see comments here which won't be biased. I must say that I'm disappointed in the price ($850). Wonder what pressure limit might be? Could it compare favorably to the '92?
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New Henry Bigboy Steel in 357/38.

Post by .45colt »

I looked at one last week at the local Gun store. Very nice all around, great workmanship and smooth as butter. BUT it weighed a ton. or maybe it's just Me getting old. I have a Rossi in 44-40 and one in .357 mag and I wouldn't trade them for a Henry.
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Hi Rabbit,
I have several of the Henry BB Steel carbine models....
They greatly resemble a Marlin...
The steel carbines are a lot lighter...
They all shoot and function fine....
Customer service is 2nd to none...
I like the tube loading, YMMV....
The "free shipping", cash price at Bud's is $677...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/pro ... cts_id/362

BTW, I've had all the other brands, nothing wrong with them, either...

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
rabbit hunter
Levergunner

Post by rabbit hunter »

Hi pshort:
That price looks more realistic. I already have three 357s, two Rossis & one Marlin. One more would make it two for each hand,ha, ha! Yes, I really need one more.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

.45colt wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 2:00 pm I looked at one last week at the local Gun store. Very nice all around, great workmanship and smooth as butter. BUT it weighed a ton. or maybe it's just Me getting old. I have a Rossi in 44-40 and one in .357 mag and I wouldn't trade them for a Henry.
Correct.
It is not the critic who counts
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

I was unimpressed with my Henry .357 steel frame. As others have posted it's heavy! My Henry carbine weighed as much as my 24" octagon 92 in .357. I gave it quite a workout over a period of a couple weeks with a large number of different cast bullets and loads and accuracy was ok but nothing special. In the end I sent it down the road. To date I've owned (in .357) A Winchester 94AE,Browning Miroku 92,Henry steel frame and two Rossi 92's, a carbine and 24" octagon. I've kept the Rossi's and both have been accurate and trouble free for many thousands of rounds. The carbine is light handy and accurate. The octagon hangs well for pistol caliber silhouette. They both get shot a lot!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Those that think the Steel to be a little bit heavey, are you talking about the 20" or the 16". IMO, handled the 16" and found it pretty handy. I have the brass Big Boy full size... it's a heavy hunk. Too heavy.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I have a Henry steel in 327 Fed with a 16 in barrel and it balances nice. The 20 inch barrel Henry is heavier than a Marlin or Rossi. But I am not carrying mine through the woods. I am shooting steel plates or it is strapped to my four wheeler while I am cutting wood. So it fits my needs just fine. Fit and finishes is excellent.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

rabbit hunter wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 3:12 pm Hi pshort:
That price looks more realistic. I already have three 357s, two Rossis & one Marlin. One more would make it two for each hand,ha, ha! Yes, I really need one more.
Yeah, then you'll need one in each barrel length.......of each brand........ :D

(......BTDT...... :oops: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

The only Henry l am vaguely interesting in is their brass frame 45/70 and only because it's their only 45/70 with a straight grip and longer (22") barrel. I would much prefer a steel frame 24 or 26 inch barrel 45/70 with a straight grip but l was told that would never happen, not enough demand. I find that difficult to believe but who knows?
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I have a steel BB in 41 mag and it is extremely accurate. Sure it's a bit heavy but the platform doesn't really lend itself to carbon fiber wrapped barrels and polymer stocks.
The loading the tube has its advantages and disadvantages but so what.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!