OT - New to me revolver questions

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jfwlb
Levergunner 2.0

OT - New to me revolver questions

Post by jfwlb »

Here's the deal:

I recently purchased a used S&W Model 65-2.

While I am ussualy a semi-auto man, I have bought 2 new revolvers before, a S&W 625, and a Dan Wesson pistol Pack. This revolver has me stumped on a couple of things.

1. How can I find out when it was manufactured? The serial # is 7D114xx

2. The seller advised that I should take off the sideplate and clean all the gunk in it to make sure it shoots good. I did take off the sideplate and there is a godawfull amount of thick grease in there.I have not seen this on the other two revolvers I own. The only reason I can think for this is that the revolver is marked "Mass. State Police" on the backstrap. Is this maybe some kind of cold-weather protection?

On the frontstrap? is a screw that looks like it can adjust tension on the hammer spring. Is that what this is for? Any help would be appreciated.
And yeah, I know, photo's are required. Here they are. I am a terrible photographer, but this gives you some idea.

This is the model number

This kind of shows the grease.
Another picture of the grease.
And this is the screw in the front strap.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
John
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

S&W 65-2 were manufactured between 1977-1981(65-3 was introduced in 1982,cylinder conterbored for cartridge rim eliminated that year along with pinned barrel in manufacture).The front strap screw is for the Main spring,BUT DO NOT ADJUST THE SCREW THIS COULD LEAD TO A UN SAFE CONDITION.(ie accident discharge-the screw is fitted by the Armourer-I am S&W Armourer certified-revolver Class of 1988).The 65-2 you have was surely a Police department trade in-the grease was packed in the internals to prevent corrosion of the caseharden parts for long term storage.The grease can be removed-only need a drop of lubricant.A good online resource is http://www.smith-wessonforum.com :wink:
Last edited by Jaguarundi on Thu May 22, 2008 12:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

Some high power solvent or degreaser may help take care of the gunk. Another thing I've done with old military rifles that were packed in cosmoline, which is a gooey, sticky, heavy grease, is use a steam cleaner on them. The steam heats up and thins out the grease. Add a little dish soap as you are steaming, and with a little patience it should do the job.

As for the other two questions, I have no idea. I'm not really familiar with S&W, and I'm not too up to date on searching for manufacture dates.
Last edited by shooter on Fri May 23, 2008 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

The gunk can be removed with gun cleaning solvent.Remember the internals only need a drop of gun oil to function.A degreaser would remove all lubricant from the metal-that would have to be replaced.FYI S&W years ago did research on washing Stainless Steel revolvers in a dishwasher.They concluded that it would not harm the firearm-just remove the grips and add oil after cool & dry-no bull. :lol:
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

I forgot to add.The Model 65 is a medium K-frame.The K-Frames can not stand a steady diet of 357 Magnum-they will suffer from timing issues and eventual frame stretch.(The L-frame 586/686 was introduced to eliminate the issues of a steady diet of 357 magnum in a medium frame-357 magnum really shines in the larger N frame 27/28).Shooting 38 special will extend the life of the firearm.BTW nice wheelgun you got there :D !
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

According to the SCSW that Hobie talked me in to buying(thanks you very much by the way), It was made in 1981: 1981-7D10001 to 9D44500.

Very nice revolver. On those, I just strip it all down and use coleman lantern fuel. That takes care of that grease and then when your done, re-oil it with a Q-tip and your favorite oil. I must add, you may not want to do this if you don't have the correct tools.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

morgan in nm wrote: On those, I just strip it all down and use coleman lantern fuel . . . I must add, you may not want to do this if you don't have the correct tools.
By this, Morgan means that the rebound slide, the rectangular-ish block with a spring inside, directly beneath the hammer, is a right BUGGER to reinstall without the proper "rebound slide spring compressor tool" or "rebound slide installation tool" depending on who sells it. That rebound slide spring is quite stiff, and you will likely launch the rebound slide a few times with the tool. A tool can be made by slotting a slotted screwdriver, with the slot width being a tad wider than the rebound slide retaining pin diameter.

Brownells sells the tool for like $16 IIRC.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

I forgot, that screw is the strain screw for the main spring. You have to loosen it enough so that the spring does not touch it so that you can get the spring out. You don't have to take it all the way out but it wouldn't hurt it. When you put the spring back in, you screw it in till it stops. You will be able to feel and see the strain that it puts on the mainspring.
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

Noah Zark wrote: That rebound slide spring is quite stiff, and you will likely launch the rebound slide a few times with the tool.

Noah
+1000. Lost one one time in my house, gave up looking for it and ordered another and refitted it. Six months later, I found the original in the back of my pickup. To this day, I have no idea how it got there.
jfwlb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jfwlb »

Thanks for all the info!

I am not a very good gunsmith, so I don't think I will try to take it completely apart to clean it. Jaguarundi, you hit the nail on the head with your P. D. trade-in comment. The backstrap is marked "MASS. STATE POLICE".

I think I will try your dishwasher suggestion and see if that does the trick. I assume I can leave the sideplate off while it is being "washed"? I tried using Q-Tips and that got out the big gunks.

Jaguarundi, thanks for the info on full power .357s in this thing. I'm glad that I got this with the intention of giving it to my mother for HD. She does not enjoy shooting .357 and has small hands so I thought this would be perfect for her.

Morgan and Noah, thanks for the tip on the rebound slide. I don't think I will attempt to strip it down that far yet. Also thanks for the man. date Morgan.

John
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Before you resort to the dishwasher try soaking overnight in kerosene. Remove grips and drop in a bucket or large coffee can 3/4 full of kerosene. Works everytime on any gunk except blackpowder fouling.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Although the diswasher works, there's no need.

After removing the grips, I would suggest spraying the innards with WD40, because it is a good solvent and dissolves grease and grease-like preservatives very readily. Allow the WD to evaporate over a few days, then wipe off any excess and lubricate with a gun oil or a LIGHT coating of grease on the contact points ONLY. I use Tetra Grease very sparingly.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Very nice, my Mdl 65-3 is as sweet a DA revolver as a feller could want. I've only shot .38 Special +Ps in it. At some time I changed out the hammer and trigger to a case-hardened version. The trigger is serrated and wider than the factory one.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

John,
I have the cousin to your M65. Mine is also marked Mass. State Police, but mine is a 3" round butt. they are sweet. Good buy!!!!
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Iron_Marshal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Iron_Marshal »

jf,

I also would not put your newly purchased pistol in a dishwasher. The thought just makes me cringe. I know it may be "fine" but I cannot help but baulk at the idea. I know one officer who put his Sig Sauer (not a stainless finished weapon) in the dishwasher and it had to be sent off to be destroyed because it compromised the integrity of the slide. Some TLC and patience will not only get the gun clean but you will not have soaked it in WATER…something that is not good for a gun…LOL However, if you do not let the soapy water sit for any length of time it should be fine. I don’t believe anyone mentioned to you so far that the grease IS NOT meant to be a cold weather protective coating. Cosmoline is a typical type of packing grease and at least one site I found DOES say to use warm, soapy water.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/co ... moline.pdf

I hope you have fun with your new purchase!
Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936
jfwlb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jfwlb »

Thanks everybody for the replies!

Irish_Cop, Noah,and Ray: Thanks for the additional tips on how to get the gunk out. Unfortunately, I live in a condo, and leaving kerosene or other noxious chemicals would not only stink up the house but would probably result in my neighbors calling the cops on me thinking the fumes were coming from some kind of drug lab. :roll: (This IS Kalifornia) I was just thinking it might be an easy solution. I may rethink that.

Griff: That sounds sweet! My trigger and hammer are both cch, and my hammer is a wide, checkered version.

Rusty: What a coincidence! I guess it really is a small world.

To Rusty and Griff: Now that you both have mentioned that you own similar revolvers, you know what you have to do, right? PICS!

I would like to see what grips you guys have on yours. My Mother has small hands and doesn't like the big, Hogue style grips you see most often. What do you have?

John
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

OOWwww!!!! Okay! Quit twisting my arm!!!!! :lol:

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

You need to send the Pistol pack over here!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

Very nice S&W M65 you have there, I hope you enjoy it. One note about shooting .357 ammo though. You will be fine as long as you stick to 158gr .357 ammo. The 125gr full power loads are the ones that you want to stay away from in the K frame magnums. There was a great deal of talk on this subject over on the S&W forum, several pages worth in fact. Still you will be well served by your M65 either way shooting .38 SPL or .357.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Irish_Cop wrote:jf,

I know one officer who put his Sig Sauer (not a stainless finished weapon) in the dishwasher and it had to be sent off to be destroyed because it compromised the integrity of the slide.
How the hell....?
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

jfwlb wrote:Unfortunately, I live in a condo, and leaving kerosene or other noxious chemicals would not only stink up the house but would probably result in my neighbors calling the cops on me thinking the fumes were coming from some kind of drug lab. :roll: (This IS Kalifornia)

John
They'd probably be upset that you didn't share.

When I was a kid, I worked for a dude ranch near Indio for a while, and at the time, I rolled my own cigarettes.

One day, I took this stoner lookin' couple for a ride out in the desert, and dropped my reins to roll a smoke. The guy started lookin' around, all paranoid like,(like the DEA was hiding behind some cholla) as I lit up, then asked if he could have a drag. He took a big old drag, held it in, then got a real confused look on his face. He sure was sheepish when he handed it back!
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Heck, you'd best not buy Tang and peroxide in quantity either... :roll:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

jfwlb, that is a good looking M-65, you and your mother will sure enjoy using it. I have an early 65-3 that is a good carry piece, 3 inch round butt model.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15