Browning 1886 and Browning 71 parts interchange

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ragnor
Levergunner 1.0

Browning 1886 and Browning 71 parts interchange

Post by Ragnor »

Hello all,

I own a Browning 71 converted to 450 Alaskan. I am having an issue with the loaded rounds being thrown out of the action when cycling the lever. :x I would like to replace the B71's cartridge carrier with the 1886 carrier and hook. Question is do any of you have any knowledge or experiences knowing this has been done? Thank you for your time Gent's.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Browning 1886 and Browning 71 parts interchange

Post by Pete44ru »

Conversions of M71's from .348 to .45-70 are fairly well known: Re-bore or re-barrel to .45-70 & change the M71 lifter to an M1886/86 lifter - PRESTO ! you have (in effect) a pistol-gripped M1886.

The problem, at this late date, would be to obtain the Browning lifter.

IDK if a current Miroku 1886/86 lifter will swap in seamlessly.

BTW, AFAIK the .45-70 cartridges need to be loaded to a slightly longer OAL to properly feed through a converted Model 71.

buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Yea, but he is not talking changing to a 45/70. He has a 450 alaskan that is based on a 348 case not the 45/70 case that has a smaller rim and a different body diameter.
My best advice would be to have a professional gunsmith who does these conversions troubleshoot it. It is possible to fix it yourself, sounds like you havecthe problem figured out. But a guy who does it regularly will know what parts to modify and may have replacement parts on hand if needed.
If I were to guess, my guess would be the lifters are dìfferent. As the lockup is different on a 71 and 86.
Ragnor
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Ragnor »

Thank you fella's for your help on this. I went and ordered the Miroku parts today and will see if they will fit. I do have a 50AK B71 with the 86 carrier and hook installed so I could also take it apart when my parts arrive to see if any special machining or what ever needs to be accomplished. The 50 AK I don't know the history except McGowen built it and someone else installed the 86 parts. Welcome anymore information on this topic. Thanks!
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

To fit the "S" hook you would need to have the 71 lever machined. Deleting the "S" hook was one of the 'improvements' made when Winchester re-designed the 1886 to produce the 71. I would try to fit the 1886 lifter without machining the lever and not fit the "S" hook at all initially. My understand is that the "S" hook and the machining of the lever was used to adjust the cartridge length that would feed through the 1886.

Given the unknown history of your conversion, I'd hazard a guess that original lifter might have been modified, perhaps poorly, and hence the loaded cartridge being throw out of the rifle when the action is cycled. The correct lifter for a 450 AK is the one for a 71 as it's designed for a 348 case. If the 1886 lifter doesn't work out I'd be comparing your lifter with that of a stock B71 lifter and start there.

Good luck with the repair and do report back what you've found out.
Ragnor
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Ragnor »

Thank JFE!
I will be digging into it soon. Like you said about the lifter. I did by a factory one again (B71) and the same thing happens, Rats I said. :(

I look forward to the investigation and hopefully the 86 lifter will remedy it like you said.

Thanks again!
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

Ragnor - in case this is still an issue for you, check the link to a thread on M71 conversions:

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve ... 9671017691

In the thread Doug Turnbull suggests you need to keep OAL to 2.65" minimum to prevent cartridge flip.