Giving an orphan a home

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Giving an orphan a home

Post by HawkCreek »

A poor lost orphan was needing a home and being the generous soul that I am I couldn't turn it away.

Here it is meeting it's new siblings for the first time. I left them alone to figure out the pecking order and sniff butts and whatever else Winchesters do when they are by themselves. I haven't managed to get myself time enough to go shoot in quite a while (since before I got my last 1895) so I need to get busy and see how these two .30-40's do, hopefully they are as accurate as the .30-06!

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Giving an orphan a home

Post by gamekeeper »

Congratulations on adopting that poor little orphan, I am sure it will repay your kindness ten fold....... :mrgreen:
Please let us know how it shoots.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

You are all heart, sir. Well done!

8)
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Nice, now get out a choot 'em.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

all the same caliber?
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Very nice photo of your pride & joys!

ollogger
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Nice ! I'm 100% sure you don't allow those orphans to over eat, sit in front of the tv all day or play video games! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
HawkCreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by HawkCreek »

crs wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 12:37 pm all the same caliber?
No, top one is a .30-06 that has shown to shoot VERY well with 180 and 220 grain round nose factory ammo. The other two are both .30-40's, the newest (on the bottom) has some blemishes and I believe it was fired though I was told it wasn't. At any rate after this afternoon it has been fired.

We'll took the new kid out today. Planned on getting through at least a box so I'd have some brass to play with. I can't say I'm real impressed with Remington .30-40. I expected better as well as their 220 grain .30-06 loads do in my first '95 Winny.

60 yards and it was about 8-9 inches high and 5 or 6 inches to the right (just above the numbers top of page is the group). Thats a lollipop hold off the back of a redneck bench rest (tailgate).

I can't be 100% sure this is one of my fired rounds but it just rained here recently and this was about 3" below the surface of the freshly kicked up dirt. The box says 180 grains but this recovered specimen weighs 118.8 grains. Thats a lot of shed weight and not a lot of penetration.

I don't think the .30-06 in SRC form has painful recoil but it will get your attention and it certainly has more recoil than a bolt gun with a rubber pad. The .30-40 on the other hand is downright pleasant, no unnecessary muzzle blast and a nice push on the shoulder. I can't wait to get some big 220's reloaded for this and see how it does.

I have an uncle that is a jeweler, I need to bug him about some german silver for new front sights to get rid of this silly brass on these guns. I also have to get my butt in gear and get these drilled and tapped for the Providence Tool #21 sights I have sitting in the parts bin.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Nice backstop you have there.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Never had a 1895, but do have two .30-40's -- Krag infantry rifle made in 1901 and a Browning Black Powder Cartridge Rifle, re-barreled to .30-40.

The Krag is a safe queen due to its age and pristine condition. Shot it a few times using GI equivalent loads -- the 220 grain load was no fun. Found the 180 grain Sierra RN more easy to shoot.

The Browning sports the same barrel configuration as its 45-70 barrel -- 1/2 octagon. Weighing in at about 13 pounds with a scope, it is a pleasure to shoot. I load the Sierra 180 grain and with 36.8 grains of IMR 3031, WLR primer, taper crimp and it will put 10 rounds into just about 1" at 100 yards. Just wished the rifle had a better trigger system.

The .30-40 is a sleeper round and under loaded, like the .45-70, in deference to the old Krags. In a modern action, the old round really shines. Plus, the rim is a blessing for minimal headspace and the long neck is a cast bullet shooter's delight.

As an aside, CDNN has a .30-40 Winchester trapper (16.5" barrel) with saddle ring on closeout for Us $699.99. Normally US $1399.99. Been advertised for sometime now and I guess no one wants the old round.
https://www.cdnnsports.com/1885-trapper ... vj81aKosuQ
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.