Maybe Hope for Illinois....?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Maybe Hope for Illinois....?

Post by AJMD429 »

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Maybe Hope for Illinois....?

Post by JerryB »

I think it is time the real folks of that dictator state did something, good for them !!!
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
rabbit hunter
Levergunner

Post by rabbit hunter »

I missed your point. What are the real folks doing? It's my home state, but I'm way out west now so I haven't heard any positive news. I'll never return there.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Good for them, but realistically, seceding from the state is the only real solution.

No one, well, very few people are talking about how bad things are for Illinois in general and Chicago in particular.

Both have pension systems the courts say can't be touched/reduced that through financial mismanagement have a deficit of billions. Combined, not single digits, not tens, but hundreds of billions of dollars

They have infrastructure needs, crime problems, and a host of other issues they absolutely can not spend their way out of.

Just a matter of time now before either the city or the state defaults.

It's hit the reef, listing to port and it's just a matter of time.

Of course, then we will be expected to bail them out.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

wecsoger wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 3:48 pmBoth have pension systems the courts say can't be touched/reduced that through financial mismanagement have a deficit of billions.
One recent report concluded it was not mismanagement but rather decades of politicians caving in to greedy public sector unions. The plot on page 3 sums it up, with the text on the following page giving the highlights. My kids have already figured out they will not settle here in Illinois.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

decades of politicians caving in to greedy public sector unions

I see your point, but I'm still comfortable with mis-management.

Yes, unions were greedy, but they weren't holding a gun to anyone's head. Pols caving, and can-kicking got them there.

Politicians were allegedly in charge, so there's my blame.

If you give your kid an ice cream bar every time he asks, can't really blame him for getting fat.

Regardless, they're in a mess and like Calvin and Hobbes going down the hill in the wagon, I see no way they can get things turned around.

Shame too, lot of people who didn't deserve it are going to be hurt, badly.
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

Yeah, ultimately it is the politicians--and the people who elected them. They created public sector unions, thus giving those employees monopoly pricing power over the wages and benefits the state must pay. As you pointed out, given the Illinois Constitution, there's no hope of fixing this mess. People will just have to leave. It was a great state when I was a kid, but it's downhill from here.