TOUGHEST 36 Hours -- Lost my BIL and my Dog...........

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

TOUGHEST 36 Hours -- Lost my BIL and my Dog...........

Post by Old No7 »

Hi gang:

They say that life (or God) doesn't give you any more than you can handle, and that tough times just make us tougher...

But after the last 36 hours, I'm thinking I need a break from all the pain and heartache...

Friday 7:00 AM -- My BIL Mike
I lost my brother-in-law, aged 50 years young -- to a massive and sudden "widow maker" blood clot that surely lived up to its name... Mike always was big, and said he had a strong heart, but it proved to be no match for this. He leaves behind a young widow, a 21 year old son in college, and an 18 year old daughter that graduates from high school in a few weeks.

We knew he had high blood pressure, really high recently, and he'd been out of breath a lot lately, but he'd always refused any ideas or suggestions that he was overweight and could stand to lose 75 to 100 pounds or so. He was always big growing up as a kid too -- and I should know, as when I married my wife (his older sister) when we were both 23 -- he came along with the "package deal" because their parents were both deceased. We basically raised Mike from a young 14 year old teen to a mature responsible man of 22 when he got married. We guided him through the technical high school and entering the work force, then had the pleasure of watching him do really well at work, to the point where until recently, he was basically running the day-to-day business for the large machine shop he started at 30 years ago that caters to the marine industry on Cape Ann. In fact, he made the bronze propeller shafts for the Andrea Gail -- the ill-fated longliner from "A Perfect Storm". Mike's 2 kids are terrific as well, as is their wonderful mother, but they've got a long tough road ahead of them now. They still have us, and other family and friends, and we'll help them through it 'cause that's what we do -- but nobody expected we'd be doing this so soon.

Instead of sharing a recent photo of him, here are 2 photos from the mid-80s back when we were like brothers at times -- having fun or getting into trouble and/or testing my wife's patience; or like step-father and son at others -- setting ground rules, keeping him on the straight and narrow, and doling out "tough love" or discipline (and I looked "up" to him since he was taller than me) when it was needed -- but always with love and respect for what he'd been through as the foundation.

My heart is broken....................................

I've never loved a man -- other than my late father -- as much as I loved this "kid" who grew up to become a great man... And I feel like I've lost a son, brother and brother-in-law all at once.

RIP Mike -- you're the best.

Mike and Me 01 (Small).jpg
Mike and Me 02 (Small).jpg

Saturday 1:00PM -- Iris, My Lab (36 Hours Later)

I've seen the posts on here before -- even participated in them many times too -- counseling those who'd loved and lost a pet, especially a dog. Unless you're 70 years old, you basically get a dog knowing that you'll probably bury it... Yeah, we knew that too... But we were hoping for more time with our sweet girl, my wife's beloved yellow lab.

That eff-in "C" word... She got the worst kind that labs can get... I'll spare you all the details 'cause I can't bear to relive it, as it's still so raw from ~8 hours ago...

The one thing that comforts us is knowing that she is no longer suffering...And we'll probably be finding her yellow hairs in the house, on our clothes, in the cars or on the boat for the next couple of years... Heck, I even found some in the action of my rifle (a levergun -- of course!) when I was out deer hunting once!

It's getting hard to see the keys through all the tears, so I'll just post a picture from when she first came home 10.5 years ago, and from last summer, enjoying her time at the lake on vacation.

What's left of my heart is broken into even smaller pieces....................................

RIP Iris -- you're the best.

Iris 2007 (Small).jpg
Iris 2017 (Small).jpg

It sure will be interesting to see what the next 36 hours brings...............................................

Hug your loved ones -- hug your dogs -- take care of your health, and be kind to each other.

I gotta go.................

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Old No7 on Sun May 06, 2018 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
piller
Posting leader...

Re: TOUGHEST 36 Hours -- Lost my BIL and my Dog...........

Post by piller »

Prayers sent for comfort. It is tough to say much that will help right now. I don't know what I can do, but if you just need someone to listem, call me. I am PMing you my phone number.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Prayers Up.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have no words...Praying for your peace of mind.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Very Sorry. Prayers sent for all involved.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

There is nothing I, or anyone, can say that is going to help.
We will certainly try though. Love is a powerful thing. More than anyone knows. The good Lord, your family and time will help you through this sad and difficult time.
Prayers for you and your family.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
mark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mark »

Old No7

Time helps, doesn't heal but it helps.

Regards Mark
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Old No. 7 -- That's just plumb awful. You've got all my sympathy and thoughts.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I am truly saddened to hear your news, I can only send my sincerest condolences to you and your family at this very sad time.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

7, please find peace with yourself, remember the great times. It's never easy as we all know. You have our support and as you know we are here for ya!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Prayers sent
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

So sorry to hear such sad news. Best wishes for you and your family.

jason
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Hard to find the words buddy, our thoughts and prayers go out for all concerned. :(
If there`s anything we can do just ask.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Darryl, so sorry for those losses -- one so unexpected, and one I know you dreaded. I don't know why we have to know such sorrow.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

My condolences old No.7.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I wish these guys would take as good a care of their own bodies as they do their motorcycles, fishing reels, and guns..... :|

Anyway, prayers up.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Tough times indeed, Darryl - Please accept our deepest condolences for you and your family. :(

IMO, looking at the good times helps to bring peace to your heart - please keep it up, as you have a beautiful family, including Mike & Iris.

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Condolences and prayers. Take it one day at a time.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
1894c

Post by 1894c »

prayers sent...much blessings... :)
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

AJMD429 wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 8:27 am I wish these guys would take as good a care of their own bodies as they do their motorcycles, fishing reels, and guns..... :|

Anyway, prayers up.
Amen to that Doc, Amen.

Thanks to all for your kind comments, thoughts and prayers; it sure means a lot. On Friday and Saturday we were devastated and "numb", and now we're still devastated, but reality sinks in and it seems to hurt even more. Yesterday, I dropped a few Cheerios's on the floor while eating a quick breakfast, and I honestly sat there for 5 minutes with a heavy heart and tears in my eyes -- knowing they wouldn't get scoffed up by our "eats-alot-of-stuff"... It's funny the little things that hit you hard...

My wife also appreciates the kindness of the gang here, but -- because this post will live forever "somewhere" -- she did ask me to put a recent photo of her brother Mike in here.

RIP Mike -- Pat my dog for me up there buddy!

Old No7

Mike.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Only the good die young, Darryl - much too soon, IMO. :(

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

We`re walking a rough trail here on earth but when we reach the end there`s a wonderful place waiting.
Hang in there pard.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

darn, that is just about more than one can handle. I am so sorry for your losses. Prayers up and will continue. I can't shake thinking about his daughter, about to graduate high school. Life is not fair... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

WOW, I am SO sorry to hear the sad news. My deepest sympathies and condolences go out to you and your family. I lost my BIL a couple years ago too to a massive heart attack, I had known him since we were first classmates in the 7th grade. I feel your loss.

"A lohe akula au i ka leo nui, mai ka lani mai, i ka ʻī ʻana, Aia ka halelewa o ke Akua me kānaka, a e noho ana ʻo ia me lākou, a e lilo lākou i kānaka nona, a e noho pū ke Akua me lākou i Akua no lākou.
A na ke Akua nō e holoi i nā waimaka a pau, mai ko lākou maka aku; ʻaʻole he make hou aku, ʻaʻole kaumaha, ʻaʻole uwē, ʻaʻole hoʻi he mea e ʻeha ai; no ka mea, ua pau nā mea kahiko i ka lilo aku." Hōʻike ʻAna 21:3,4

"With that I heard a loud voice from the throne say: “Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his people. And God himself will be with them.
And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away." Revelation 21:3,4
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31