Wheelin' season!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Wheelin' season!

Post by OldWin »

Well, I got her all dug out and ready to go for another season on the trails. First club ride is coming Memorial weekend. It's a fairly tough one but I did ok last year. Only unspooled the winch once.
Just have to shovel another 4 or 5 grand in it and it'll be a holy terror. :shock:

Dang money pit. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Wheelin' season!

Post by Pitchy »

Glad ya got a hobby ya enjoy bro, jeep looks great go get em. 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Like they say- JEEP Just Empty Every Pocket.
I had an '88 Wrangler. Got it cheap with blown head gasket. Then started to pick away at it fixing minor things, dumped the Peugeot trans/transfer for Borg Warner, Weber carb, U joints, wheels.
Then I got an '08 Rubicon, other than having a V6 ( much prefer inline engines)it was very impressive in the snow.
Then it started using coolant so I sent it down the road.
Sometimes I miss having a Jeep !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks guys!
Yeah, this is an 03 Rubicon. I ordered it new just how I wanted. Figured it'd be my last new one.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Uhh, is there a specific season? I pretty much go topless & doorless most of the year. I do tend to put the top on when it rains, but hey the last few years thats been rare.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha yeah there kind if is here. Runnin no top when its -30 ain't a lot of fun. Too much snow in winter anyway. I put mine up after hunting season anyway. Salt on the roads is a killer of Jeeps.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

OldWin wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 6:51 pm Haha yeah there kind if is here. Runnin no top when its -30 ain't a lot of fun. Too much snow in winter anyway. I put mine up after hunting season anyway. Salt on the roads is a killer of Jeeps.

Double undercoated mine and now I have the interior lined with a red Rhino lining. I've seen a couple where the underside was Rhino lined.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Old Red here is a 97. My dad runs it now, but I daily drove it winters from 04' till 2011. Inside of the tub is POR15 and Herculined. I sprayed underneath with motor oil twice a year. Oil is the only thing I've found that will stop the rust in these parts. I've done it for 30 years. Old Red still has the original paint and the frame lools like new. Has 175k on the ticker.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

My new ride going up to camp this summer, 80 CJ5 3 speed. In the process of installing new one piece rear axles shafts. Hopefully I'll be done installing them by end of next week. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Oh man that is awesome! I love CJ5s. My TJ is a great rig, but if it explodes tomorrow I will go back to an old 5. My first Jeep was a 59 CJ5.
draperjojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by draperjojo »

Cool Ruby! Restoring old jeeps is a thirsty business....lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

ya just missed JEEP WEEK in Daytona! Monster and custom jeeps everywhere!
Found a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiSowY-UBu4
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Mainehunter wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 8:18 pm My new ride going up to camp this summer, 80 CJ5 3 speed. In the process of installing new one piece rear axles shafts. Hopefully I'll be done installing them by end of next week. :D
If you have ever broken an axle, you already know the goodness of one piece axles. You may have to disconnect a drive shaft, but usually with a busted axle you can still drive out. If no one has messed up and put fuel injection on it you are a step ahead of newer Jeeps.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Remember the old C.W. McCall song about a CJ5 with 4 wheel drive and a Smoky on his tail? From about 1978 or 1979 if I remember correctly. Could have been a few years earlier.

It is cool how the Jeep clubs around here patrol the roads when it ices up and help pull people out of the ditches. If the drivers around here would slow down on ice, they wouldn't end up in the ditch. I guess it is a good thing that the Jeep clubs have people who understand that some conditions require you to go slow.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

piller wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 9:52 am Remember the old C.W. McCall song about a CJ5 with 4 wheel drive and a Smoky on his tail? From about 1978 or 1979 if I remember correctly. Could have been a few years earlier.

It is cool how the Jeep clubs around here patrol the roads when it ices up and help pull people out of the ditches. If the drivers around here would slow down on ice, they wouldn't end up in the ditch. I guess it is a good thing that the Jeep clubs have people who understand that some conditions require you to go slow.
Two comments. First I got pulled over by a Chippy. He said I was doing 85 in a 65. Mostly wanted to tell me he didn't think CJ's could go that fast. Nice guy didn't even write me.

Second, Jeepers have been helping folks since the first civilian got a surplus Jeep. Whether it's clubs or individuals, it's just something many do. I say many because out here quite a few are street cruisers that have never seen the dirt. They are driven by wanna be's who have no idea of the culture.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yeah.
Mall Crawlers

Lots of lights and big bars and bumpers. No lockers, grooved up skid plates or rock rash. Real Jeep people are the best. I never pass one on side of the road. Ive helped out people or given rides more than once. Next time it might be me.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Our 85 CJ 7. We found her in a Garage a couple Years back. Has a Chevy 350 crate engine & turbo 350 tranny. Fuel injected Carb with computer control. The latest project was installing the Xfer case low/gear kit. She will now crawl. We have the rear solid axels and they will be installed soon. Half hard doors are from a newer model. When we bought it, she came with four sets of Doors. Some hard some soft.
And here she is, paint is original.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

My 1980 CJ 7. Same Son, just a few years older. We like Red CJ's.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Some nice rigs you guys have over there, I'm looking for a new ride but Jeeps are pricey over here, even old Landrovers are out of my price range... :(
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Very cool. I've had a couple over the years but my favorite will always be '79 CJ7. It was my first set of wheels and just loved that thing. Got in a pretty nasty accident and totaled it. Two things save my butt, my dad made me promise I'd wear my seat belt and that roll bar. I came to a rest upside down after getting hit in the rear quarter paned. Was a little banged up but the Jeep was a mess. I have a picture of it around here somewhere.

Have fun out there, I'll be looking for another CJ before too long. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

My '82 on it's first trip. Moved the darned blind spot caused by the spare, painted it red and put bigger tires on it. That's the stuff you can see. Axles, ARB lockers and regeared the diffs, two stick conversion, lift of course, and a whole host of other goodies since this was taken.

Trying real hard to get a neighbor to sell me this. He's too stove up to ever get it running again, but I think he has hopes so he won't let it go.

If I do get it, the license plate has to stay.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

jeepnik wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 9:42 am
Mainehunter wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 8:18 pm My new ride going up to camp this summer, 80 CJ5 3 speed. In the process of installing new one piece rear axles shafts. Hopefully I'll be done installing them by end of next week. :D
If you have ever broken an axle, you already know the goodness of one piece axles. You may have to disconnect a drive shaft, but usually with a busted axle you can still drive out. If no one has messed up and put fuel injection on it you are a step ahead of newer Jeeps.
The CJ5 has a rebuilt 258, the trany isn't original. Who ever did the rebuild did a good job on swapping out the Carter carb for a Webber, purrs like a kitten when it's idling. I also have a 67 CJ6 with the Dauntless V6 I want to get going on. Yeah I know about these two piece axles. It was several years ago when I was riding along in my budies CJ7. Sure enough he hit a pot hole not paying attention and the passanger side tire fell off! I've learned from that experience. That pic of the CJ6 has the High Lift jack mounted on the drivers side, that's unusual!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Yep, that's a bit odd. I keep mine on the roll bar. The spare tire was originally mounted there. I fount that the hole spacing in a hi lift matches the bolt pattern on the spare tire carrier. I put a couple of locking lug nuts on to keep sticking fingers at bay.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

You guys got some nice rigs. Thanks for posting the pics.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

jeepnik wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 10:45 am
piller wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 9:52 am Remember the old C.W. McCall song about a CJ5 with 4 wheel drive and a Smoky on his tail? From about 1978 or 1979 if I remember correctly. Could have been a few years earlier.

Two comments. First I got pulled over by a Chippy. He said I was doing 85 in a 65. Mostly wanted to tell me he didn't think CJ's could go that fast. Nice guy didn't even write me.

Second, Jeepers have been helping folks since the first civilian got a surplus Jeep. Whether it's clubs or individuals, it's just something many do. I say many because out here quite a few are street cruisers that have never seen the dirt. They are driven by wanna be's who have no idea of the culture.
You can easily tell the difference by the way they drive. The good folks in the jeep may drive fast, may not, but they know how to signal and how to stay at an appropriate distance when behind another car and they are in a no passing zone. The wannabes are not polite, and they don't seem to be able to learn how turn signals work. Once you have been helped out when your car breaks down, you learn what kind of people drive jeeps. Heck, even in that old Country song, he mentions that he might have to winch the Smoky Bear out when he got high centered. No wannabe would think of that.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Your Rubi is looking mighty clean. You just can't hurt 'em! Geeze ...it was only a week ago I let my Rubi take a ride aaaallll by itself ...no driver..that baby traveled over a huge bump (my leg) and then a good thirty yards before it whacked a tree...head on....not even a scratch on the Warn bumper.

I have three, my bil has three, my nasty sister has two and another half dozen..or more between friends.-----6

Happy "Jeepin' Jay :D
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Thanks buddy!
Yeah thats as clean as it'll be all year right there.
Looks good in the pics, but she's full of bush and rub marks, skid pans all dented and rock rash. I get underneath and rattle can over all the rash between trips.
I take good care of her, but it gets used.
Next on the list is some Metalcloak control arms and a flat skid. A raised aftermarket gas tank skid too.
J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket

Hope you're feeling better buddy!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

We ran a Jeep on the back roads of Brazil, late in the 20th century. That was enough for my wife. It was a '75 Ford built Jeep with a Ford four banger engine (don't recall the displacement), had 10.5 X 32 x 15 tires and parts were hard to get hold of up in NE Brazil. It was a beauty where I bought it. Nice, Amazon Green metallic paint - over a case of body putty that covered the cheese grater sheet metal. About 1,000 km of asphalt with the top down and my dad's boxer bitch in the passenger seat was a great trip, except for the first time it let me down. The rotor gave up on the highway. Found an old mechanic who knew how to get 'er done, he soldered a wire from the center of the rotor to the tip and we were in business again. The boxer in the passenger seat kept the curious at a respectful distance while I was getting her running again.

First trip off the road is when I learned about double checking the condition of the sheet metal on a used rig. We ended up replacing about 60 percent of the body, including floor boards front and back, partial side panels, hood and grill. Later on we did an engine overhaul and a transmission rebuild. Never got it stuck but once, no matter where we took it. Even had the driver's side front spring mount break loose, "fixed" it with a small tree that we felled with a machete, flattened on two sides, slid between the spring and the frame and held in place with a rope. Had to take it real careful, but it got us the rest of the way there and back home again. After that first trip we always had spare points, condenser and rotor, along with a feeler gauge and sand paper for the points, along for the trip. One time I had to requisition a bobby pin from one of my passengers in order to "solder" the carburetor float, holding the bobby pin with pliers over a tiny fire to heat it up enough to melt the plastic tabs back into the holes on the brass mounting plate.

It left us high and dry a couple times, the center of the clutch pulled loose and there's not much one can do in the middle of nowhere to get moving sans clutch. Another time the rear axle pulled out and left us, sent the wife to town with the kids and she sent back our mechanic with spare parts to get it back to town. The rusty tank had me running two fuel filters inline to keep the junk out of the carb, but sometimes we had to stop and knock the scale out before we could keep going. One time we were bumping down the "highway" (it was a high way due to the vertical distance one traveled between bumps on the dirt road) when smoke came rolling out from under the hood. I killed the ignition and baled out the door with extinguisher in hand, to find the smoke gone. Opened up the hood and ended up spending an hour under the hot brazilian sun tracing the burned wire through the harness to find it was a live wire to nowhere. Back in town we pulled the entire wiring harness and replaced it with a new, hand made one. One wire to each necessary point and appropriate grounding. At least that system never gave us fits again.

The biggest issue on her was brakes. We never DID manage to eliminate brake problems. The brake lines were redone so many times I lost count, but they'd still break loose. We learned to drive that Jeep without brakes (how else to you get home from the middle of nowhere?) and even without a clutch OR brakes once (the fork broke, push it to get it going, slip into first then run the gears by slip shifting).

Then it tried to kill me. The ol' Jeep barely crept along as we were coming to a gate, trying to die when I'd accelerate. Common issue, the jet was clogged. I pulled through the gate and the guy with me closed it as I grabbed the screw driver from the door pocket, opened the hood and then the carb. Got the jet out and cleaned it, no more junk in the carb so put it together again. Instead of going around and using the key to start it I merely shorted the starter with the screwdriver and accelerated with my left hand, the right hand resting on the radiator brace. vrrrrrrroooommmm, VRRRRROOOOMMMMM - POW! One of the blades on the fan broke off, caught me on the right wrist, climbed up and gashed my bicep and kept on to parts unknown - while spinning me a full 180 degrees. I found myself with my back to the Jeep and my right wrist held by my left hand, no wanting to look and see my hand dangling by a mere sinew or piece of skin. Eventually I DID look and found the damage much less than it could have been, although I've still got the scar on both my wrist and bicep and still haven't recovered the strength I used to have in my right hand.

The man with me said, "It's a good thing they moved the cows out of here yesterday, I'll run find a fresh cowpie to put a poultice on that!" to which I yelled "Get back here!" and directed him to open my travel kit, get out a clean bandanna and patch me up a bit. He then took off to find help, leaving me inside the Jeep, out of the rain. While waiting for him to get back I distracted myself from the pain by concentrating on shooting my 38 with my left hand (afraid my right one might never work again) and drank a bottle of children's pain/inflammation medicine that was the only analgesic/pain killer left in our kit at the moment. My passenger returned, along with a tractor from a neighboring ranch and someone to drive the Jeep and they pulled me on in to their headquarters. It was dark by then but there was one of their trucks on its way to town, just as soon as it got light enough to travel the next morning since his lights were on the fritz. Someone loaned me a hammock and I tried to rest a bit until it was time to pull out. Meanwhile my wife was at home wondering why I'd not gotten in at my usual time. She had to teach the next morning and was planning to head out looking for me with our mechanic after work. They got me to town and I sent someone to tell her I was alive. By the time we got to the doctor the only thing they did was change the bandage as to attempt to sew me up would probably have resulted in a bad infection.

Our mechanic went out with a new fan and brought the old Jeep on in. When we left Brazil we sold the old Jeep and my wife doesn't want to hear about another one. But I miss the old thing and sometimes look at the adds for used ones and think what it'd take to get one into decent shape.

Thanks to all for the pics of your rigs. Don't tell my wife I've been checking them out. :lol: The attached pic is one of our current mechanic's Land Rover he's building into an offroad monster. It's currently at his shop undergoing a radical reform. I tease him that the only original part on it is the VIN number. Years ago I mentioned the idea of picking up an old Land Rover Santana and restoring the mechanical part of it, to which he said something along the lines of "You don't want to do that, it'd be a real money pit." Next thing I know - he's gone and bought an old Land Rover, joined a local off road club and his prophecy came true, he's sunk thousands of dollars into that rig, and had a blast doing it.
muneco.jpg
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

broken_spring_mount.jpg
My wife and our assistant mechanics checking out the problem.

broken_spring_mount-side.jpg
A machete is a very useful tool, doesn't take up much space and can be right handy at times.

broken_spring_mount-front.jpg
Almost "as good as new"...

topdown.jpg
Crossing the river into Piauí.

jeep.jpg
Parked in front of "our home away from home". Last time I was there (2012) they had electricity and even a TV with a satellite dish, never would have thought it back in the day.

back_road.jpg
One of the roads we ran back then. Sure miss the old backwoods.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Great stuff! Thank you for for posting. "Foreign wheeling" is a whole different proposition!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Gotta get me one of those jeeps, maybe trade one of the Harleys for one. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

There you go bud! Of course, you could probably build one from scratch! :D
You guys probably got some good wheelin out there too.