Winchester 94 Classic 20 inch

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ethang
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester 94 Classic 20 inch

Post by ethang »

Looking at a Classic model with the 20 inch Octagon barrel. Overall it's in decent shape, there is some corrosion where the wood meets the metal. One thing odd though, cycling the action with the hammer down is harder than any other 94 I have or used. With the hammer thumbed back it's not bad, but much stiffer with the hammer down. It's a heavy bugger but balances surprisingly well.

Thoughts?
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 94 Classic 20 inch

Post by JerryB »

Maybe the action needs to cleaned, how is the bore?
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
ethang
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ethang »

bore looks great. Action has hardly any rub marks on the bolt or the lever. I don't think it has been shot much at all, just really stiff with the hammer down.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Any I have all cock differently, a dad of lube on the hammer helps, if your thinking about buying the gun
I wouldn't let that hold me back

ollogger
ethang
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ethang »

Well I bought it and took it to the range today and thats when the problems started. The stiff action kinda concerned me, but not enough to pass on it. Well, at the range after charging it, the action locked up tight, trigger would not press and it took me a minute to free it up and get it to cycle. Fired that round and it locked up again the same way on the second. At that point I stopped shooting until I can research what the deal is.

I had to fiddle around with the trigger (pulling and cocking) until the trigger released (under thumb pressure) and then the action would operate.

I plan a complete strip and clean next week but any ideas what part or parts I should be looking at?
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Id start with just taking the butt stock off and seeing if theres any broken parts, like chipped sear or hammer notches, or foreign material getting into places it shouldnt. Work the hammer and trigger and watch the interaction of parts. If all seems as it should, Id start taking the lower tang apart, hammer out. etc, basic teardown of the action, looking for chipped parts, or crud that made its way in. Cleaning all parts, and reassembling when apart and clean.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

I have a 20" 94 Classic made in 1968 and the action is stiffer than most of my other 94's. I bought it new in the box 20 years ago and it hadn't been fired until I did. It has loosened up a little but not that much. It is an accurate and beautiful rifle but a sad testament to the decline of Winchester during that time frame.
ethang
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ethang »

elmo123 wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 9:35 pm I have a 20" 94 Classic made in 1968 and the action is stiffer than most of my other 94's. I bought it new in the box 20 years ago and it hadn't been fired until I did. It has loosened up a little but not that much. It is an accurate and beautiful rifle but a sad testament to the decline of Winchester during that time frame.
did yours corrode some around the wood to metal? this one did on both stocks.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

My isn't corroded where the wood meets the receiver but after firing it a very small amount of the coating on the receiver behind the locking bolt flaked off.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I always clean up and polish the spot where the bolt rubs the top of the hammer when it cocks. That really slicks cocking a bunch, but you might have a bigger problem than that.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV