An Act Of Stupidity

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

An Act Of Stupidity

Post by Sixgun »

Where do I begin?....Oh! The Regional Championships for Levergun Silhouette at the Consolidated Gun Club in Montoursville, Pa., which is run by one of the best people in the business .......and National Champion....Al Faust

On Saturday we shot pistol caliber and smallbore .22.....I stunk....really stunk....oh well...that's another story.

We were treated like gold at the match...door prizes...(I won a $25 gift certificate for Midway)......hats, shirts, bullets, on and on......Al runs a top notch match.

"The Gunny" a retired Marine DI , his brother George, and myself spent our evenings at their hunting cabin. Upon waking on Sunday AM .....getting ready for the big bore match......6:00....out the door.......and you bettter not be late with a career Marine DI holding his swagger stick . :D

Cold it was ...40 degrees from a warm sleeping bag.....I threw my junk in the back of the Jeep....and being in a hurry......well....this is where the "stupidity" comes in.......I was cold and wanted to pre-warm the Jeep........I opened the door of my lifted and large tired Jeep Wrangler Rubicon........with my left foot on the ground and my right foot on the clutch...to start it.....I reached to the ignition to fire it up....feeling fullly confidant the Jeep was in neutral with the e brake on........released the pressure on the clutch.....and DANG!....it was in gear......first gear...creeper gear at 1500 rpms due to the cold....and pow! the Jeep took off, knocked me down, ran over my leg and went another 20 yards and hit a big old oak tree......ZERO damage to the Jeep........yes. an aftermarket WARN bumper.

I hollered "GUNNY!" and Gunny came over and lifted me up like a feather....he and his brother George called the ambulance as my leg was swelled up like a balloon.........spent the day in the hospital and I insisted the Gunny and George finish out their match as I was not going anywhere for awhile.

They went to the match....I got x rayed and all of the other happy bs that comes with going to the hospital.

I don't know how, but 12 hours later I drove the 200 miles home, screaming about every 3 miles.

Wait....it's not over......after being x rayed they put me in this room waiting for the results.......I could see people walking up and down the corridor...........and here comes this gurney with this big dude on it being wheeled past me......I thought I was having delusions as I swore the guy on the gurney was my wife's brother, my BIL......mmmmm.....I put it off.....yesterday a phone call comes in while I'm at home...and in bed....that my BIL was in the same hospital with a heart attack.....he's "ok" but in somewhat bad shape due to a lung infection.........neither one of us live within 175 miles of this hospital and here we are,,,,there at the same time. He was at his "cabin"....more like a DuPont estate in Wellsboro.---6

Don't you be looking at my 63 year old azz!!!! :D I'm still nice and toned. :D

No prayers!....Prayers are for good people who did not deserve their predicament......I was plain stupid.....OK....you guys are free to bust my balls!---6

No broken bones...the doc says to me...upon looking at my last name..."are you Italian?" I says, "yep". He says, "Italians have strong bones." :D
Last edited by Sixgun on Sun May 06, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Model A Uzi’s
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: An Act Of Stupidity

Post by AJMD429 »

I did the SAME thing............twice..... :oops:

With the 3,000 lb Honda Civic, I had no problem other than gravel-bruises on the butt.

With the 500 lb Riding Mower, I got pinned between it and a stack of lumber and re-bar, and limped for a month... :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

THANKS DOC.....it makes me feel I'm not as stupid as a stalk of celery. :D ---6
Model A Uzi’s
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Sixgun wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 8:17 pm THANKS DOC.....it makes me feel I'm not as stupid as a stalk of celery. :D ---6
I heard that you were gonna sue, but the lawyer said you didn't have one leg to stand on. :P :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

OUCH! Heal quickly Sixgun.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Thank The Lord it wasn't a lot worse... Glad Your O.K. thirty years ago I was pinned under a car trying to help someone. just a quick 5 minute job. somehow I got out and My upper back looked just like that. My Country Doctor at the time was near 80 and had seen it all. He ripped Me up and down for being stupid. sometimes our Guardian Angles have to work overtime on us.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

BlaineG wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 9:00 pm
Sixgun wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 8:17 pm THANKS DOC.....it makes me feel I'm not as stupid as a stalk of celery. :D ---6
I heard that you were gonna sue, but the lawyer said you didn't have one leg to stand on. :P :P
Ok Blaine....THAT was good! For real, I've been hobbling around and every time a sharp pain hits me, I say to myself, "I deserve that" :D
Model A Uzi’s
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Glad you didn't get hurt worse and are going to be OK! :D
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have done that same thing any number of times... with the ROSE! But, being of Northern European descent, and slightly smarter than your average wingnut, I always jiggle the gear shift before engaging the starter... (no need to depress the clutch).

But... on the other hand... there was this occasion I was up near Bishop, CA fishin' with a group of fellars from work. Buddies' boat, my Blazer as the tow vehicle. We'd spent the day fishin', and more importantly, doin' many 12 oz curls. Back at camp that evening, I was busy disconnecting the boat trailer so we could take a trip into town for dinner... When one of the guys started taking whiz while sitting on the picnic table. I stopped what I was doin' and jumped up to grab my camera... one never knows when blackmail might become handy! Snap! went my knee, finalizing a motorcycle accident from several years before!

We spent the next few hours at the hospital in Mammoth, CA. Tore the meniscus in half! Knee locked at about a 15º! Wouldn't move in either direction. One of the group drove me back to camp... and we left the next morning. None of the three of them would drive, hauling the boat... including the nitwit who owned it! Who was also the one I wanted the picture of! 300 miles of driving using my left leg only! Automatics RULE! :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Thanks Griff.... :D I'm beginning to think that any nationality can be just like Italians.---6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Holy freakin smokes bro! Just a little bit wider tires and you might of got "sacked and hosed". Now THAT woulda been bad! :D
Funny how its stuff like that that gets us. We wheel hard with the club. Seen rollovers and all sorts of dicey moments. Nobody's been hurt. Ive done that exact same thing as you a thousand times. I'll think of you every time now :D
Oh, and glad your Jeep is O.K. That baby is too minty to thrash out like that. Now you bring that baby up this Memorial Weekend for our annual ride a Rockman's camp........ :D
You take it easy bud. Heal quick.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

darn
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Six, you can quit blaming your Italian heritage. The performing of dumb stunts of "Sheesh! I knew better than that!" category is not an Italian thing; it's a Y chromosome thing. You have a lot of company right here in the forum.

Maybe the Italian thing shows up with being willing to talk about it: us Anglo-Saxon types don't come clean that willingly.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

WOW, you're the color of an eggplant aka "mulignan" :wink: I won't pray for you but I will send some cool Hawaiian vibes. I think wide Jeep tires saved you a skinny tire would do more damage. Get well soon.
I just broke my ankle on the 12th so I can relate.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I do believe Ji is right about the wider tire saving you from worse damage. As far as running yourself over, not many can accomplish that.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

piller wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 2:05 am I do believe Ji is right about the wider tire saving you from worse damage. As far as running yourself over, not many can accomplish that.
Plus one, heal well six.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

'Act of stupidity' naw Jack that's not true. All is us that learned to drive the RIGHT way ( with a clutch) have done exactly what you have! I know there has been many times I've done the same. However I always make darn sure that I'm sitting on the seat and don't have a foot on the ground.
Many moons ago I had been hit by a snowplow! Neighborhood kids got a snow day, snow storm that then went to ice, we were livin large, day off & fresh snow! Down the hill I go like a rocket off the neighbors hill across the lawn and out on the street. I never heard/ saw the plow or the rest of the kids screaming. WHAM! I rolled out of the sled stood up to see the driver holding his head crying- he thought he had killed me. Stood there telling him I was ok but he was kind of in shock...
Had quite the bruise on my left leg for a few weeks!
So Six heal well, rest easy and load Ammo!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Quite a story Jack, heal quick buddy.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Ow.

That looks like it HURTS!

But then again, stupid does. :shock: :lol:

We've all been there, though...... :roll:

Hope that you heal fast and well.

-Stretch
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

stretch wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 8:30 am Ow.

That looks like it HURTS!

But then again, stupid does. :shock: :lol:

We've all been there, though...... :roll:

Hope that you heal fast and well.

-Stretch
Man, that's for sure! I've got three more weeks in a cast due to "momentary lapse of reason".

Take it easy, Jack!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Wow! I thank you guys for all of the well wishes.

Some who said the wide tires were a help is true...plus it was the rear tire where their is a lot less weight.

Life can be strange...one minute your on top of the world and the next thing ya know your dead. A lot of pelosi was going through my head when that all happened.

Thanks guys---6
Model A Uzi’s
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Ouch! I know the feeling of having to drive home after a knee injury! Broke my knee while riding my dirt bike back in 1982 and not only had to drive it 2 hours home, but had to ride the dirt bike back to my truck after breaking my knee! Had my two buddies start the bike, and they loaded it in the truck also. But they both lived along the way home, and it was my truck! So had to drive home and unload my bike by myself, with a little help from my wife.
Next morning I realized it was not feeling better and went to emergency. They opened the knee up and pinned the bone back in place. We have to be tougher when we do dumb stuff!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Wow. Reading Ji's and Sixgun's posts I think I may just sit here the rest of the day and take no chances... :(
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Will you lot please be careful, your all a rare breed!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Some times a guy is his own worst enemy!
I started my Log skidder from the ground 1 time & it took off & it was a stupid mistake, blew a steer cylinder hose on the way out
with a big drag of logs on behind it, got it fixed & reached up & hit the starter & away it went, at the time my cat like reflex's
got me out of deadly trouble, today I would look more like a sandwich spread LOL

Brad
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sixgun wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 8:06 pm you guys are free to bust my balls!---6
Six, you darn near did that for yourself! :shock:

Okay, I didn't need the picture. :shock: What has been seen cannot be unseen!!!

Happy that your leg is not broken or worse. I know you didn't ask for them, but I'll say a prayer of thanks and healing anyhow,

I had my foot ran over twice in one year. One was a friend in his VW Rabbit backing out of my driveway. The other was the night I graduated high school. We were out looking for parties, and my friend's boat - a big ol' Monte Carlo - broke down. I was pushing it at the front door, and steering it with my right hand, and slipped and they pushed it over my foot!

No fun (but no broken bones either).

Heal up!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If someone says that they have never had an accident, then they have never done anything. We all have had injuries, or I would bet that we have. I am certainly not immune to accidents of my own cause.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost