Unbelievable find today!!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Unbelievable find today!!

Post by 2ndovc »

I haven't missed a show in NW Ohio where my parents sold off a large part of my collection for my wife, who was freaking out because the doc's were telling her I wasn't going to make it and she just didn't know what to do.

There were only a couple of those guns that I was disappointed in losing but a slight miracle happened today. I had stopped a fellow walking around with a Smith 2 1/2" Model 66, wasn't mine and he really wanted a lot for it. Thanked him and went on my way. About ten minutes later I was stopped dead in my tracks. My custom Ruger SBH was lying on a table, right inside the front door. I asked the guy how much and handed him the cash. I had been putting off sending a replacement Old Model .44 to Mr. Bowen to work his magic on, once again. Don't know why, really but it must have been for a reason. Had a little meltdown on the way back to my table, but I can't tell you guys how happy this made me today!
Anyway, had a little meeting with the family when I got home and now they know for sure how much this thing means to me.

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Unbelievable find today!!

Post by Pitchy »

Now that`s a Purdy hand gun jb 8)
Very nice congrats on getting it. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Now that is awesome....!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Meant to be.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

That's absolutely super. 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

8) :)

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Well done Jason! Don't know if it's karma or divine intervention but finding your SBH sure does bring that warm fuzzy feeling!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks Guys!

I kept getting up last night and making sure it was still there. :D

I think this calls for a new pistol belt to go with it.

jb 8)

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

You can't know how happy I am for you Jason.
That is one of the coolest guns I've seen on this board and I have thought of your story a lot.
Made my whole dang weekend!

P.S.
I have an old 3 screw SBH that is a good candidate for it's twin. I should do it.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Congratulations on getting your pistol back.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Seems it was meant to be. Good karma, or just a gun that wanted to come back home? ;)
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

marlinman93 wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:34 am Seems it was meant to be. Good karma, or just a gun that wanted to come back home? ;)
Plus one...... :D :D :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Awesome gun & am glad it got back to you!!

ollogger
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I think I would tell everyone to at least wait until the buzzards land next time
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Awesome!! I remember Your posts about some of the stuff being sold off. what a Great Treasure to get back.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

OldWin wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:26 am You can't know how happy I am for you Jason.
That is one of the coolest guns I've seen on this board and I have thought of your story a lot.
Made my whole dang weekend!

P.S.
I have an old 3 screw SBH that is a good candidate for it's twin. I should do it.
Appreciate it. I know we've chatted about it a couple of times. I've been looking at the one I bought to replace it and not sure what to do with it now. It's a 5 digit old model but not a collectible. Nice but well used.

Anyway,

Thanks again, guys. I knew you all would understand. :D

And that line about the buzzards is pretty close to what I said to everyone. She was scared and I get that, but my .44? Dang!

jb 8)

wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Good for you!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jason, I think highly of the affordable quality offered by Stan Dolega of Wolf Ears Equipment in Laramie, Wyoming. That said, a Bowen deserves to go a little on the swanky side.
8)

P.S. Stan sewed me a few loops for .50-70 in addition to the loops for .44 Special.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

If my wife or any body else sold off my guns before I was dead and I survived, there would be hell to pay. I would NEVER let them live it down.

Jason, I'm glad you got your Ruger back, maybe some of the others will come home soon.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

I love it, that's a great story!
My 'ol 94 has had a long bumpy road, but is with me still.
For sure an appreciation for something special.
My first child - '94 30-30
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Joe,
There were some pretty heated discussions on the subject. However, I had never made it really clear what were investments and what was personal. A huge mistake on my part. I had the Ruger made up before I met my wife and even though I took it everywhere, no one really knew what it was to me and what I had invested in it. The black and plastic stuff was easily replaced and even upgraded. I was really thankful that they hadn't gotten to the Winchesters!! The 1911's have been mostly replaced, though there were two A1s that amazing histories that I will never be able to duplicate. Maybe someday I'll run into those was well. :D

Now,
While I was trying to replace the Bowen Ruger and picked up these two. The Stainless New Model has a really short grip for my hands and kicks like a Russian Mule! The other is an Old Model made in 1967 that has some miles but is a good shooter. Neither of which do I have any attachment to, but they're cool. Haven't decided to do with them yet.
They make a nice picture, though.

This is what I'm thinking for the new holster; full flap cross draw, border stamped. Should protect it nicely.

jb 8)

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

J Miller wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:32 pm If my wife or any body else sold off my guns before I was dead and I survived, there would be hell to pay. I would NEVER let them live it down.

Joe
If I survived to find my guns sold, I'm not sure I'd be living anywhere near whichever family member sold them. I'd hope my wife would wait until after the funeral at least!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

My wife was scared and panicked. Nothing more. Funeral arrangements had already been made, I was on the way out. The doctors had gotten the family together twice, telling them I wouldn't make it through the night. Only through the absolute stubbornness of my Viking heritage that my heart refused to stop. Everything else was shutting down. It's called Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome and most guys my age don't survive it ( Doc AJ will back me up here). If they do, most are severely disabled. We, along with most people I imagine, aren't prepared for a significant other to check out at 47! Most of my investments are in real estate and not easily liquidated. My guns were. Always have been. That's just how it is. She was getting money together for my funeral! But, I'm still here and I still get to wake up every morning next to a beautiful woman and that's more important to me that my possessions. I'm thrilled to have one of my favorites back for a fraction of what it would have cost to replace it, but it still could have been replaced. It's just stuff. I've made an ( almost) full recovery in the last two and an half years. There were a lot of days that I just didn't want to get up but the love and devotion and sheer strength of this woman made me get up and get moving.

But that's just me.

jb

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Glad you are still here to want tge 1911's. Really glad that a favorite came home again.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

You are a lucky man Jason. What's more, you realize and appreciate it. So glad to hear you are doing well.
I've had the conversation with my wife, but there's really no danger. My sons will take all my guns. I call them the poorest investment I ever made. :D Just gonna give em away.
Not true really. It's something we all have in common and it keeps us close.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

2ndovc wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:52 pm My wife was scared and panicked. Nothing more. Funeral arrangements had already been made, I was on the way out. The doctors had gotten the family together twice, telling them I wouldn't make it through the night. Only through the absolute stubbornness of my Viking heritage that my heart refused to stop. Everything else was shutting down. It's called Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome and most guys my age don't survive it ( Doc AJ will back me up here). If they do, most are severely disabled. We, along with most people I imagine, aren't prepared for a significant other to check out at 47! Most of my investments are in real estate and not easily liquidated. My guns were. Always have been. That's just how it is. She was getting money together for my funeral! But, I'm still here and I still get to wake up every morning next to a beautiful woman and that's more important to me that my possessions. I'm thrilled to have one of my favorites back for a fraction of what it would have cost to replace it, but it still could have been replaced. It's just stuff. I've made an ( almost) full recovery in the last two and an half years. There were a lot of days that I just didn't want to get up but the love and devotion and sheer strength of this woman made me get up and get moving.

But that's just me.

jb
I, for one, appreciate your take on it. A good woman sells a good gun - you've still got her and that's worth rejoicing over. That's one reason we've got burial insurance, one less thing for either of us to have to deal with when the inevitable happens.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thank you.

It's all good.

jb 8)

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

2ndovc wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:42 am Thanks Guys!

I kept getting up last night and making sure it was still there. :D

I think this calls for a new pistol belt to go with it.

jb 8)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!