Heading to the Southern Side by Side

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Heading to the Southern Side by Side

Post by 6pt-sika »

Heading down to Sanford NC in the morning for the Southern Side by Side . Am going to hop a ride on a friends plane . I think it’s a touch over an hour from central VA . Never been before so this just might be intresting . And if all goes semi close to as planned I oughtta be home around 17:00-18:00 !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Heading to the Southern Side by Side

Post by Pitchy »

Have a fun time, I tried that flying business once but never got off the ground. :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Flying in a six seater private plane for an hour or so each way beats the heck oughtta driving four hours each way LOL’s .
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

6pt-sika wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:35 pm Flying in a six seater private plane for an hour or so each way beats the heck oughtta driving four hours each way LOL’s .
I know I was joking about the plane I built that never got off the ground, didn`t mean it the wrong way.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Being retarted, errrrr, retired means I'll never board another commercial aircraft. If it's an emergency, I'll MAYBE spring for First Class. I've had it being pushed and prodded around like a dang side of beef. I've got nothing but time and by the EOM I'll have a camper to sleep in while I'm taking my time getting someplace. 8) 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Pitchy wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:46 pm
6pt-sika wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:35 pm Flying in a six seater private plane for an hour or so each way beats the heck oughtta driving four hours each way LOL’s .
I know I was joking about the plane I built that never got off the ground, didn`t mean it the wrong way.
Not to worry I didn't take it the wrong way .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

BlaineG wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:12 pm Being retarted, errrrr, retired means I'll never board another commercial aircraft. If it's an emergency, I'll MAYBE spring for First Class. I've had it being pushed and prodded around like a dang side of beef. I've got nothing but time and by the EOM I'll have a camper to sleep in while I'm taking my time getting someplace. 8) 8)
I have an 82 year old pop with Parkinsons . So I can't very well leave him alone at night to say nothing of our Border Terrier and my new 8 week old Boykin Spaniel . The lady who usually stays with him when I go to the Philippines is in GA so for me to go it was either leave before the crack of dawn stay a few hours and get back around dark or fly down and back with this fellow and not worry about falling asleep on the way back .

Five years ago I could go and come as I pleased and if that were the case this year I'd have gone down wednesday or thursday and come back monday . But those times are pretty over for awhile .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

FWIW I'm heading oughtta here again this year on 10/10/18 on ANA bound for Narita then on to Manila . I'll spend a couple weeks with the wife and family then the wife and I will head to Manila for a week and tour around Bataan , Corregidor , Subic and Clark with her oldest brother and his wife . Then on 11/3/18 my oldest BIL's daughter will be married and I was asked to be a God parent or sponser for them however you wanna call it .
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

6pt-sika wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:21 pm
BlaineG wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:12 pm Being retarted, errrrr, retired means I'll never board another commercial aircraft. If it's an emergency, I'll MAYBE spring for First Class. I've had it being pushed and prodded around like a dang side of beef. I've got nothing but time and by the EOM I'll have a camper to sleep in while I'm taking my time getting someplace. 8) 8)
I have an 82 year old pop with Parkinsons . So I can't very well leave him alone at night to say nothing of our Border Terrier and my new 8 week old Boykin Spaniel . The lady who usually stays with him when I go to the Philippines is in GA so for me to go it was either leave before the crack of dawn stay a few hours and get back around dark or fly down and back with this fellow and not worry about falling asleep on the way back .

Five years ago I could go and come as I pleased and if that were the case this year I'd have gone down wednesday or thursday and come back monday . But those times are pretty over for awhile .
Yep...Everybody has to make it work for themselves. My large-ish Standard Poodle sort of dictates what I do, as well. He loves to ride, but I would have to board him if I flew.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well flights down and back were uneventfull as a pretty much slept thru them both !

At the Southern I cannot begin to mention everything I saw that I liked . The amount of nice old SxS Purdys and Boss's would boggle the mind .

I had a Parker Grade 3 top lever hammer gun on a #4 frame 8 gauge in my hands that belongs to a friend . That was the first 8 gauge I's ever handled . It wasn't for sale but as I say it was a first !

A little later I was able to look over no less then FIVE Parker VH/VHE 410's . Three were factory single trigger guns and three had round knob pistol grips . All were priced 30-45 G's . The one that caught my attention was a VHE double trigger and capped pistol grip , that one was a measly 35 G's . Same dealer also had a VHE 10 gauge with fluid steel 32" barrels with factory 3 1/2" chambers I think that was 10 G's . I honestly would like to own both of them but as you might imagine they're above my pay grade .

Galazan was there with a veritable pile of stuff and among it was the Cliff Green Parker BHE 2 gaun 4 barrel set . This thing was made for Cliff Green a skeet shooter from MD . He ordered it in the early 30's I think it was comprised of a #1 frame with 12 and 20 gauge barrels and a 00 frame with 28 and 410 barrels all four barrels with their own semi beavertail forends and all the barrels were 24" . Herschel Chaddick had this gun a number of years ago and was asking a cool 1/4 mill . Galazan didn't have the price on it but I was told a couple years ago they were asking 1/2 to 3/4 mill now . Of course I'll never own that set but I'm glad I was able to see it .

A friend from introduced me to another Parker guy who laid a Parker Grade 1 top lever hammer 8 gauge in my hands that's for sale gun has factory 34" barrels and is in very nice shape . He also had a Parker PH hammerless Damascus 0 frame 16 gauge I'm quite interested in .

So I suppose you could say I saw 4 guns I was truly interested in but only two of them I have any idea I could get the funds together for .

All in all it was a nice trip I bought two boxes of RST 20 gauge 2 1/2" shells , two packs of Nabs and a Diet Pepsi so money wise it was relatively painless .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Forgot to mention there was a Holland and Holland 600 Nitro Express double rifle there . That was a BRUTE !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

BlaineG wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:37 pm
6pt-sika wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:21 pm

Yep...Everybody has to make it work for themselves. My large-ish Standard Poodle sort of dictates what I do, as well. He loves to ride, but I would have to board him if I flew.
We kinda had a Boykin Spaniel reunion at the Southern . My friend with the 8 gauge had his pair of Boykins there he has a litter mate to mine (both turned eight weeks Thursday) and his 4 year old Boykin has the same parents . And a old school mate friend that lives in the same county as myself has a sister to mine and my friends but from a different litter .