Hornady FTX 160 grain .308 projectiles - Accuracy?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pnumatix
Levergunner

Hornady FTX 160 grain .308 projectiles - Accuracy?

Post by Pnumatix »

Just wondering how members here find the projectiles in the title for accuracy. Maybe I'm alone, but I cannot get these things to shoot in either my Marlin 336, or Mossberg 464 30/30's. I even gave in and tried Hornady factory ammo in both guns with worse results than my hand loads.
Both rifles are scoped, and will shoot around 1.5 moa with Fedral Powershok (Blue box) 150 or 170 grain ammo. Both will also shoot around 1.5 moa with my other hand loads using Sierra#2000 150 grain FP.
The Hornady factory FTX 160 group approx 6 to 8 moa. My reloads with the same projectile are around 4 moa.
Anyone else have similar results? Or is there some trick I'm unaware of?
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Hornady FTX 160 grain .308 projectiles - Accuracy?

Post by 44shooter »

I don't have any experience with them, but have read reports of very usable accuracy and none nearly as bad as your experience. I think you have found three fine alternatives though. Sometimes you just need cut your loss and move on to something that works.
Pnumatix
Levergunner

Re: Hornady FTX 160 grain .308 projectiles - Accuracy?

Post by Pnumatix »

Thanks for the reply. I'll stick to my current handloaded Sierra #2000's for now. I was hoping some had similar issues and found a solution, but it looks like I'm the only one silly enough to try these things.