How to repeat cycle a lever rifle?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

How to repeat cycle a lever rifle?

Post by Naphtali »

I've hunted on and off for decades with traditional lever actions and Savage Model 99s. In practice and shooting at game never have I fired a quick repeat shot. That is, for subsequent shots the rifle was not on my shoulder. I never needed a quick second shot, so I never had practiced any technique.

I've acquired a lever action that I've begun to dry fire with many snap caps. For me, it is much easier to force my index trigger finger to the front inside of the lever-trigger guard than to move hand to allow my index finger to be outside the lever. I understand that index finger outside of lever would be safer because it is not physically possible to pull the trigger inadvertently. This safer procedure, again, for me, is so unintuitive that I'm thinking it is not the correct way to achieve a quick, aimed subsequent shot. Where I live, I am the only person who shoots a lever rifle - Sharps 1874s I do not count as lever rifles, although they have one kind've. (I'm also the only person who shoots a muzzleloader.) This is bolt action country. I have no knowledgeable lever rifle shooter to guide me.

So what is the correct, safe procedure for quick, aimed repeat shots from a lever rifle, butt remaining on my shoulder?
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Re: How to repeat cycle a lever rifle?

Post by M. M. Wright »

Is there a SASS club near you? Go watch them shoot and ask one of the top shooters to teach his/her technique. I'll bet you can find a U-tube video with some help for you too. I was a SASS shooter until my health got too bad for me to be safe. Butt stays on the shoulder, three fingers in the lever and my trigger finger goes outside the trigger guard. Do not wrap the thumb around the wrist but it lays along the grip area. Wrapping the thumb takes too much time and I use a tang sight that would be in the way too. Practice, practice, practice. Heck, if you go to a cowboy match they will try to get you to shoot, even loaning you equipment. Get a '73, a pair of single actions and a 97 and join in. Never had so much fun with my clothes on.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Naphtali,

Been shooting regular lever guns for some decades now and was never bothered by the safety nazis "keep the finger out of the trigger guard" mantra.
When I cycle my lever guns from the shoulder I just move my finger forward enough so that when the lever is pulled back my finger isn't caught between the trigger and lever. This works for me.
One reason for this is that when I started shooting the "keep your finger out of the trigger guard" thing was unheard of. That came later, by then my muscle memory was established and I found it difficult to change.
Another is that my fingers seem too long for many trigger guards and the constant moving them in and out of the guard disrupts my aiming.

I was reviewing pics from the 6gun / Levergun shoot in IN back in'05 and noticed that JimT and a couple others keep their fingers out of the trigger guard while I leave it in.
Joebrassinair3.jpg
In my opinion, unless you are at a shooting range that's anal about trigger finger placement I'd suggest practicing a technique that works for you and don't worry about what others do.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Well I'll be danged -- I never even thought of trying to move the trigger finger outside the lever while working it. I had never heard anybody say you should do that (maybe I don't hang around forums much, and after a couple visits to real "shooting ranges" I avoid those places unless I am going along with somebody who has no other good choice).

And I have a couple generations of levergunners I have failed to teach to worry about moving the finger outside the lever. We do keep the rifle pointed toward our target while working the lever.

Ho ho! Can't wait to tell friends Larry and Butch that we may have been doing it wrong for 60 to 70 years!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Just DON'T shoot your levergun like Hickock45 does.....!

(he wraps his hand around the lever rather fingers through it)

I'm thinking I'd never slam shut a lever (or bolt) unless the gun is already pointed at the target and ready to go anyway, but I'd still have the finger up against the front of the lever and away from the trigger. BUT I don't shoot much at ranges, and don't really try to shoot any gun all that fast anyway.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

In order to shoot fast repeat shots from a levergun...or any kind of gun.....do nothing you don't have to do.....keep everything in line......yea, your finger too, so as you close the lever your finger will be where it's supposed to be (right in front of the trigger) when the lever is back against the receiver.

Guns can be dangerous...it's up to you to keep the backside of your finger against the backside of the lever while operating the action. :D ........moving your finger out of the lever can cause more danger than the way I described it above. I've been told by others, "I never knew you could convert a lever action into a semi auto".

As far as I'm concerned, trigger pull should never be less than 2.5 pounds. I've seen guys who have 10 ounce triggers that a hangnail from your finger could prematurely fire the gun upon closing.---6
Model A Uzi’s
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

I take my trigger finger out of the guard while cycling mainly because I have pinched it doing dry runs. I can't recall if I do that with pumps but I doubt it. Certainly not with semis or revolvers. Have to with bolts and singles. I don't think it takes to much time but I used to be pretty fast with a bolt action.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I have been shooting a levergun since I bought a Winchester 1892 32wcf rifle from an uncle in about 1953. Reading this post tonite is the first time I have such a thing. I did slam fire a shotgun one time by accident but I did get two ducks.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Been cranking a lever a long time. Still my favorite rifle to run.
I have never removed my finger from the lever. Just move it forward like others have said.
The type of hands you have will come into play to some degree. My hands are large, but not meaty. I have a very long reach, however. It is difficult to remove my finger without a lot of awkward movement. I have to hold it out somewhat just to keep the pad of my finger on the trigger.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Why not buy a handful of snap-caps and practice until you land on a technique that works for you?

:?:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

I have 18 A-zoom snap caps.

The closest SASS is a little more than 100 miles away.

My hands are small - as an EMT I wore MEDIUM BSI gloves.

I seldom watch or download You Tube videos pertaining to gun usage. My non-entertainment usage is mainly for maintenance and disassembly-assembly of newly acquired guns of which I have scant knowledge. The only significant lever gun user I might rely upon by way of You Tube is Mike Venturino. He and his wife use the procedure I find unintuitive.

Since so many responders have used for decades the procedure I find intuitively convenient, I'll try it wearing mittens. Winter hiking and hunting here are high, vertical, chilly, and irregularly windy, so mittens that allow me a firm grip and delicate trigger control is what I wear. If I'm still easily safe merely forcing index finger against the inside front of trigger guard portion of lever, I'll do as M. M. Wright recommends - practice. That's why snap caps exist.

Many thanks, guys.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson