Noise of 45 colt vs 44 rem mag vs 357 in carbine

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Noise of 45 colt vs 44 rem mag vs 357 in carbine

Post by mickbr »

Sorry for the long thread title. As a lever newb( or recent return to lever actions after a long break) I have been running a 357 rossi with subsonic 140-158 grain with a couple grains trailboss for shooting small game on a small farm, and was wondering whether 44rem or 45 colt loaded down to 1000fps is a large or noticeable jump in noise levels? The powder charge will be a little more I am guessing, pressure probably similar or lower. A lot boomier noise from the bigger calibre or unnoticable?
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Noise of 45 colt vs 44 rem mag vs 357 in carbine

Post by earlmck »

Interesting question mick -- I looked at ballistics in "QuickLoad" and it says you'd use 4 grains TB with the 140 grain bullet for just under 1000 fps and a bit over 9k psi, and a 200 grain 44 mag bullet would get the same velocity with 6 grains TB and just over 8k psi, and 45 Colt would use the same 6 grains and 200 grain bullet for same velocity with a bit over 7k psi. So more powder gas but lower peak pressure. However looking at the muzzle pressures where the sound would be generated, they are not much different though the 45 Colt would be about 10% less muzzle pressure while 44 mag slightly more than 357 mag.

I have no idea how this translates into decibels. Maybe you could let us know what you experience? Obviously you do need another lever gun in the interest of the science of all this.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Generally a smaller bore generates a sharper "crack" at the same general velocity. A 357 at 1200 fps is sharper in report than a 45 Colt in the same velocity range (going by sixgun experience). Personally I don't care for the 357 at normal loads, it's hard on my ears in hunting situations. The 45 Colt has a lower note and is not as noticeably abusive to one's ears. BUT in the subsonic range, none of them should be overly sharp. You'll probably notice a difference between the sharper crack of the smaller bore and the deeper noise of the larger bore. At the same level of velocity there's not going to be as much difference between the 44 and the 45.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I am no expert but from what little experience I have had ... a 22 fired at you at close range is as loud as any gun ever made!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Jim, what do you mean "fired at you at close range" ? What did you get in to?
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

All these examples I have found go BANG and any difference is marginal.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

JerryB wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:37 pm Jim, what do you mean "fired at you at close range" ? What did you get in to?
Some years ago a drunk relative fired his .22 at me from about 6 feet. It was an accident on his part but he was drunk enough he should not have had it in his hands. When I finished with him I took a hammer to his pistol before I gave it back to him.
Oh .. yes... he missed.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

This may or may not help as loads and firearms prolly vary, but it might give you a comparison. I believe 140 decibels (give or take) is the threshold for pain/permanent damage...http://www.caohc.org/UserFiles/file/Sho ... andout.pdf
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The .357 Magnum has always had more crack than either of the other to calibers mentioned. I'm a fan of all three, but even with ear muffs on I can easily tell the .357 is more annoying.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

marlinman93 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:45 am ... even with ear muffs on I can easily tell the .357 is more annoying.
No sir. Not "annoying". II is a DEATH RAY! A DEATH RAY I tell you!

Sorry. I was channeling Dr. Fackler there for a minute .....

:D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've shot subsonic and near-sonic rounds from all three, and could NOT tell any difference, other than the 'pitch' of the smaller bore seems higher. My choice for in-home defense is a Rossi 45 Colt with 900-fps-ish loads but when I go out 'choring' at night I take the 357 Mag Rossi simply because it feels a bit lighter (both 16" barrels), and it is stainless so I don't care if it gets wet as much.

If I can resurrect my 'night scout' photos from PhotoSuckit, that post may be of interest.

Here's the link but the photos were kind of integral to the topic...!

https://levergunscommunity.org/viewtopi ... 40#p583183
(If you right-click on the 'photos' you can open them up in a separate tab though...!)

Here's the 45 Colt (from a "fotki.com" link):

Here's the 357 mag (not transferred from PhotoSuckit to fotki yet so manually attached):
NightScout4.jpg
ALSO - consider getting a threaded one like the new Marlins or Henrys, so you can put a suppressor on it....!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Thanks Jim. I will have to say my Rossi .357 carbine has not bothered me as far as the noise. I have used it in CAS and it did seem louder than most of the other shooters, but they were using little pip sqeak loads. The one gun that liked to blow my ears off was a Ruger Blackhawk in .30 carbine load.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

JerryB wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:33 pmThe one gun that liked to blow my ears off was a Ruger Blackhawk in .30 carbine load.
Yep - one of the LOUDEST guns I've ever shot was a 30 Carbine Blackhawk....!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

FWIW, I shoot a 45ACP in an 18” Contender Carbine and with HS7 pushing a 255gr. FP at 1050fps I can shoot it without ear muffs 1-2 times without my ears ringing afterwards. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!