Lone Ranger rock

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Lone Ranger rock

Post by Old Savage »

Here it is, the rock where the Lone Ranger used to rear up his horse at the start of the show. Always wanted to get there, tried five years ago shortly after recovery from an auto accident. But, it is across a steep ravine and I was wearing cowboy boots. Went back yesterday with real hiking boots and more recovery. Was briefly on all fours on a precarious spot. Only took 60 odd years to get to the most iconic TV western spot from "days of yesteryear".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Lone Ranger rock

Post by Sixgun »

Pretty cool Fred........yea, the guys here who are about 55 and older well remember when Hollywood showed us all right from wrong. I'm surprised liberal vandals never tried to topple it over.

I remember in one episode when the Lone Ranger and Tonto were surrounded by hostile Indians and the Lone Ranger said, "Mmmm.....well Tonto, it looked like we're doomed now" and Tonto replied, "What you mean "we"?

Is the rock visited a lot or have people forgotten? (Your still a handsome bugger).......-----6
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, It is across the road from a park where a lot of westerns were shot. Condos all around that I cleverly kept out of the picture. One local called it the duck rock. You would recognize the terrain from old westerns.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

And you know Six, now that I take a closer look, I see the condos behind the rock. :-)

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Cool beans Fred, its great that ya got there, I have a place on a old RR grade I want to go too before I die too.
8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

OS that is a cool photo, the Lone Ranger was one of my favourite westerns........ :D

Going to the Old Tucson studios was a childhood ambition I will always remember too.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OK Fred......I see the condom condo's. Wow.....progress?

I bet you could find a mess of those 5-1 blanks with a little diligent looking. ----6
Model A Uzi’s
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Almost 40 years ago an old fellow came into my office. As we went through his case history it came out that he was the main stuntman on the Lone Ranger series. He said that if I saw someone fall from a horse it was probably him. He also told me how they did the runaway stage scenes. Later he told me he owned both horses and there were two of each. This picture was taken at his ranch. He showed me a lot of what you might call out take pictures of all of it.

Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Hi, Yo- SILVER ! ! . :mrgreen:

I bet those "out-takes" were neat to see.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Exactly Ray. My wife and daughter have hiked to the Batman cave but that I think is in a different area. Obviously there are a lot of movie filming sites out here.

1894c

Post by 1894c »

I loved the Lone Ranger TV Show -- that's when TV was coooool, not so much now... :(
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Fred,
You took over my entire day......thank you!........I've been watching reruns of the Lone Ranger in between chores around the house. Mom and myself have been reminiscing about the old days and how the culture was in the fifties and early sixties before the hippie (lazy wastes...you owe ME) generation took over.........

In the episodes of the Lone Ranger.....along with most old time Westerns we watched there was always a leason to be learned...for the good of everyone ..........

Glad I was born when I was.----6
Model A Uzi’s
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, if you think about it, "The Code of the West" is mostly what prevails here.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, think I saw his guns at the Autry Western Museum. Call me when your plane is getting in, we can tour.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Sixgun wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:31 pm Fred,
You took over my entire day......thank you!........I've been watching reruns of the Lone Ranger in between chores around the house. Mom and myself have been reminiscing about the old days and how the culture was in the fifties and early sixties before the hippie (lazy wastes...you owe ME) generation took over.........

In the episodes of the Lone Ranger.....along with most old time Westerns we watched there was always a leason to be learned...for the good of everyone ..........

Glad I was born when I was.----6
Yep....
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Well shucks, my illusion of the places he roamed being at least still somewhat 'wild' have been shattered.... :(

Still cool you got to see it up close though.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Old Savage wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:44 pm Six, think I saw his guns at the Autry Western Museum. Call me when your plane is getting in, we can tour.
I hear ya Fred.....funny thing has happened to me in the last couple of years.....extreme fear of flying.....never used to bother me......near wrecks and claustrophobia has about done me in.....thinking about a road trip but......I HATE to drive...40K on my Jeep and it's a 2005. Dunno....that and my Winchesters and Colts are owning me and keeping me home. :( ---6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sixgun wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:30 pm
Old Savage wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:44 pm Six, think I saw his guns at the Autry Western Museum. Call me when your plane is getting in, we can tour.
I hear ya Fred.....funny thing has happened to me in the last couple of years.....extreme fear of flying.....never used to bother me......near wrecks and claustrophobia has about done me in.....thinking about a road trip but......I HATE to drive...40K on my Jeep and it's a 2005. Dunno....that and my Winchesters and Colts are owning me and keeping me home. :( ---6

Well in that case old buddy!.......I got good news. Just send em all up to me and I will keep a special close eye on em for ya. :D
You go ahead and book that flight. I won't worry a bit, you'll be fine. :D
No thanks necessary! Always glad to help out a bud! :D
Seriously, though, I hear ya. I'm the same way. Part of what I like about working nights is there's always someone home.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

Another thing off your "bucket" list. I get one off and then seem to add 2 more.
I hope to live long enough like Barbara Bush and just decide I'm done, and then
go 2 days later after finishing my funeral plans.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

When I visited the Autry Museum several years ago, I remember seeing dozens of great historic guns, including Annie Oakley's and her outfit, some famous gangster and outlaw guns (like John Wesley Hardin's double action ?38? revolver), and the Lone Ranger's uniform. Don't remember if his guns were there.

That Lone Ranger Rock was part of what once was called "Corriganville," a working movie ranch named after one Ray Corrigan (one of "The Three Mesquiteers," who purchased it and cleverly opened it up between shootings as an amusement show park. The Mesquiteers were Bob Livingston (in the role later played by John Wayne), Ray "Crash" Corrigan, and Syd Saylor. I believe I met Mr. Corrigan, by my Dad's special arrangement, with the other members of my family.

Fort Rin-Tin-Tin was there and most of the regular cowboy series were filmed there, most of the time. As a kid of maybe 11 years old - about 61 years ago - I was one of many lucky souls who visited the huge ranch, met and talked with one of "The Three Mesquiteers," and saw a cowboy shoot-out and stunt show, complete with guys falling off a balcony onto a buried, dirt covered air mat on the main street. That was still a tough fall, by the looks of it.

A small man made "river" surrounded by trees, also used in many serials, TV shows and movies, was named "The Robin Hood Forest" and was also used for the early "Robin Hood" TV series.

A totally fascinating place. It was later sold and named the Iverson Ranch, and was adjacent to where those despicable hippies of the Manson Clan took residence.

I can still recognize the various parts of the ranch, which we spent a day visiting from a jeep, every time I watch the old movies and serials. It is amazing how they used various camera angles to photograph the same town and surroundings. So many horse chases occur down a small hill that forks by an old oak tree to the left, photographed differently, sometimes in the same movie. A little shack was used again and again with added fences or flower beds hundreds of times in so many movies and serials. Each different prop or angle made it look like different towns and locations.

Unlike later shows like "The Little House on the Prairie" that used a pond repeatedly for a riverbank with almost completely still water, Corriganville cleverly used powerful recycling pumps to make their "Robin Hood" river look like real running river water in man scenes.

It was a magical place, and one that I wanted to take my children to, but alas after research I found that it was no more. In fact, a childhood friend now lives on one of the heavily populated urbanized hills that used to be this great old Movie Ranch.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

John, here is some info on the Iverson movie ranch.

http://iversonmovieranch.blogspot.com/?m=1

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

John, the history I can find has the Iversons owning the property in 1912 prior to Corrigan but there were multiple ongoing divisions and ownerships.

Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

OldWin wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:41 am Well in that case old buddy!.......I got good news. Just send em all up to me and I will keep a special close eye on em for ya. :D
Well ....buddy...you better hurry......Tom....(Fordwannabe) just left here and my safe is a little lighter. You will see it in an upcoming post by Tom. He FLEW outta here.....---6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Oh.......man! :mrgreen:
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels were my favorites of the few who played the roles. I did not like the Arnie Hammer(ed) and Johnny Depp version of the movie.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Ray wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:37 pm What about the cave where gene autry fought-off those aliens ?
Many if not all Gene Autry pix exteriors (Hollywood talk for outside scenes) were filmed in Lone Pine, CA - just up Highway 395 a bit North from L.A. (Hollywood) in the Owens Valley. Because there are so many cool big boulders and caves there, I suspect that the flick you are talking about was indeed filmed in "The Alabama Hills" of Lone Pine, along with so many serials of "The Cisco Kid," "The Range Rider," "Wild Bill Hickock," and many, many more.

I visited there in the late 90's and it was still being used for filming, but you could stroll and drive around for miles without a guide between projects. I suspect it is still being used today, with its tons of sage brush, cactus, rocks, caves, open prairie and mountains a few miles away. The original "Dune" SF movie was also filmed there, so it was in production much later than the old early cowboy movie days.

Check this site for a list of the many movies filmed there:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_f ... _Lone_Pine

The list goes only to 1970, probably because the originator lost interest or moved on or passed away! "Django Unchained," for instance, did some filming there in 2012.
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Old Savage wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:50 am Six, It is across the road from a park where a lot of westerns were shot. Condos all around that I cleverly kept out of the picture. One local called it the duck rock. You would recognize the terrain from old westerns.
Duck Rock? Duck Rock?!? Sacrilege! That is and will always be the Lone Ranger Rock!! What goose would dare call it Duck Rock? :x

OS, Thank you for the great pix, excellent link, and correction on the Iverson Ranch history.

The great link brings back some memories of my visit there, one of the high points of my young life. I still drive my wife and kids crazy by pointing out the ranch property when I see it on the screen. And I remember now that the Rin-Tin-Tin fort was indeed called "Fort Apache."

Great post.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

Post by rossim92 »

I grew up watching m*a*s*h*, i would like to see the site where the series was shot before I die, I live in md.. Can see whats left of the place on youtube and such, but not like looking at the real thing!
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Malibu Creek State Park has some of the MASH stuff and the Bat Cave is in Bronson Canyon. Looking for some pics we have of those.

The helicopter fly in scene in MASH was filmed by Sherwood Country Club.

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Growing up "The Valley" wasn't all concrete and steel. Places like the Lone Ranger Rock took a long drive and a relatively short hike to get to. Yet dad made sure we went. Heck we took an entire tribe of Indian Guides on one outing.

These days I drive through "The Valley" and all of the various canyons where so much filming was done and only occasionally see some familiar sight. You really need to either know where to look or do a lot of homework to find them.

Freeways were just beginning to be built. Surface streets and two lane highways were the roads of the day. But with all of the freeways, few folks get off and see all that surrounds them.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Ray wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:20 am The Autry film I alluded to started out as a 1934-35 mascot serial called "phantom empire" and was edited into a 70 min. film in 1940 and alternately called "radio men" or "men with steel faces

Filming locations

Agoura Ranch, Agoura, California, USA
Bronson Canyon, Griffith Park, 4730 Crystal Springs Drive, Los Angeles, California, USA
Griffith Observatory, Griffith Park, 4730 Crystal Springs Drive, Los Angeles, California, USA
Iverson Ranch, 1 Iverson Lane, Chatsworth, Los Angeles, California, USA
Keystone Studios, 1712 Glendale Blvd., Silver Lake, Los Angeles, California, USA
NOW I remember that strange "Western" - cowboys on horses and Pat with Nelly Bell (the jeep) chasing dudes with - Ku Klux Klan type hoods - right? Whatever, it was mighty weird.

So... externals were filmed at:
Bronson Canyon and Griffith Observatory and Park (all in the same area),
Iverson Ranch,
and the Paramount / Agoura Hills Ranch, one that I never heard of!

And I did not know that Cisco and Pancho also filmed in Agoura Hills.

Interesting stuff (to us older guys, at least).
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jeepnik wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:05 pm But with all of the freeways, few folks get off and see all that surrounds them.
True - some of the most 'isolated' little areas are in the midst of no-local-access freeways....

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Here are a couple pictures from Malibu Creek State Park with some MASH scenery.

JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Old Savage wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:12 am Here are a couple pictures from Malibu Creek State Park with some MASH scenery.
So - these are relatively current photos that you took, with the old M.A.S.H. props still there??
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Well done, I like the whole thing both the location, the dedication to the mission, and the want to go to the rock in the photo of the Lone Ranger. Did the same thing in Apple Valley for Roy Rogers while assigned to Ft Irwin.
It is not the critic who counts
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

old savage,

if you look real close, you might see my car in the photo .....

ALSO, some fun reading .....
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51658

Cheers,

NPH
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

That was the iconic car to have back then.

new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

"back then" ?? LOL ..... I guess I'm still living in the past, because that very same car has been in my garage for the past 43-1/2 years .....
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Carl, I see we talked about this five years ago. Great that you still have that car. If you are ever driving it up by Lancaster let me know.

I remember that panorama. We looked it over when we were down there.

new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

old savage,

Lancaster, aye.

And when you were at Lone Ranger Rock, you were a mere 7.0 miles away from my family compound in Simi ..... think "cocktail hour ..... or two or three ......" while checking out the leverguns ......

Cheers,

NPH
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Thought you lived much further south. We should get together at A Place to Shoot on San Francisquito.

I am having that or two. It will be chicken tonight.