Well, two out of three ain't bad.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Well, two out of three ain't bad.

Post by 2ndovc »

Long story but like one of the guys here says; "If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough!".

Last week I had a little accident and broke my wrist. Clean break and won't need surgery, but dang that hurt! Found out very quickly my concealed carry options were lacking in one respect. Couldn't pull back the slide on my small autos, though the Colt Officer's was doable. But not ideal. Sooo, who needs a better excuse to go pistol shopping? :D
I ended up with two Rugers and off to the range. Took my Colt AR along to get the new Leopold sighted in as well.

Here's how it went. The first up is a SP 101 in .327 Federal. I really love this cartridge and was thrilled that I found one used at what I thought was a bargain. However, it's the first Ruger that I have ever owned that doesn't work right. Didn't matter what brand of ammo, factory or handloads it wouldn't index the next round on some shells. The shop I bought it from will take it back, but I'm going to email Ruger to see if they will fix it first.
The next up is a bit of a story. While I was down and just about written off a couple years ago, as some of you guys know and I'm sure your tired of hearing about it. Several of my guns were sold off, including a S&W Model 66-2. This was one of my favorites and an incredibly accurate revolver for a 2 1/2" barrel. This had been my carry gun for years. I had been looking for some time now but those are going to $900-$1000 these days and I have a hard time spending that to replace a gun I bought for $240! So, got on the internet and came across a real trophy! A Ruger Speed Six made in 1981 with the box, papers and almost new condition. I haven't researched this one yet but it had to been part of a contract order for a PD, security, Corrections officer. It has a 2 3/4" barrel with a factory lanyard ring. It fits my hand perfectly and is a sweet shooter! It could double duty as a flame thrower as well! The muzzle blast is impressive! :D
Last up was my Colt AR Lightweight, first time out and I couldn't be happier. At 50 yds the groups w/ 62 and 77 grain factory ammo were right around an inch with a really shabby rest. I'm betting I can do better. I did put a new Hyperfire trigger kit in it, the factory trigger was ok but not great.
Some pictures on a bright sunny day for a change! Left side are .327s, Right is the .357 with some 130 Gr FMJ 38 Spl in the middle.
The center group was sighting in with the 62s and lower right as well. Upper right is the Sig Elite 77 grainers.
New Fave's
Speed Six, thank god it was my left arm!
Speed Six, Glamor Shot.

The broken wing has brought about some thoughts on defenses. I've had an 870 at my bedside for years but event though I can hold and support a long gun, working a slide isn't happening. I've moved it out and put my Sig MPX in it's place. The new Speed Six is going to be a constant companion from now on though. I've never been a huge fan of the .357 Magnum but the 66 I had was just right and this new Ruger fills in a big empty space for me.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Well, two out of three ain't bad.

Post by Pete44ru »

I'm simply glad to hear that you feel good enough to buy a couple of guns ! . ;)

:mrgreen:

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I kind of know how you feel. Several months ago my right shoulder got so bad that I could not with that hand. I tried all of my handguns in all of my holsters. Since the Taurus 431.44 special has been my main carry gun for a few years I called Mel at CME holsters in Texas and talked to him about a cross draw holster. He said the only cross draw he makes is for single actions, he would build one for my .44. anyway. The holster is a perfect fit and carries great under a shirt or jacket and draws so fast. Now that my shoulder is better I still wear it some anyway.
Sure glad you were able to find something to carry, real nice looking handgun.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

That is a good lesson for all of us. We should practice using only the off hand to shoot with. You never know when it might occur.
2ndovc, I will be praying for your wrist to heal.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I fractured my left wrist on my 26th birthday, took the day off to bow hunt. Long story short last step to get in tree stand let go and I fell. Thankfully I was shooting a long bow as it fell and hit me in the chest.
After 2 different doctors I finally got home where my 96 lbs Lab was waiting at the door. She saw this real tasty rawhide coming through the door, grabbed me by the wrist and pulled me in the house! Now that HURT!!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Sorry about your wrist. Do not be surprised if Ruger says they will fix the 327.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

All the best with the injury, nice guns 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks Guys!

wolfdog wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:29 am Sorry about your wrist. Do not be surprised if Ruger says they will fix the 327.
I hope so, I really like the little bugger and was dissapointed that it doesn't work the way it should.

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Sorry about your broken wing. Praying it heals ickly. Really like your wheel guns for carry. One of my favorites is an old Smith 1917 45ACP that has been chopped to 3 1/2 inch and nickle plated. Kinda big but sure is comforting.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That sounds cool! Just before I broke the darned thing I was at a show and was looking at a S&W 325(?) / .45ACP with a 2 1/2" barrel for a really good price, but was thinking " what do I need that for?" and ended up buying a really sweet HiPower for way less that it was worth. Hindsight being what it is, I should have bought the S&W as it would have fit my purpose perfectly and is a bit on the rare side. Hoping the guy still has it at next month's show.

jb 8)

2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Back out to the gun club with the Ruger and a Smith Airweight that my Dad gave me to work with. He had an old friend that passed away a couple of years ago and he'd left him several hand guns. One of which was an S&W .38spl. It shots great, though it looks like it's been around the world and back. The Speed-Six is rapidly becoming my all time favorite sixgun. I ran some 158 Gr. SPs through it this morning and it's just dead on accurate. No bowling pin is safe within 50 yds!

jb 8)

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Mend well our friend.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!