Marlin 444

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Marlin 444

Post by Marlin32 »

Was turkey hunting in Kansas this week, strolled into local gun shop, found a used Marlin 444, had 24" barrel and a monte carlo type stock. That it was quite unusual, anyone know anything about this variant?
Not sure what it is worth, I know what he was asking for it, but not sure if worth that price, and not sure what I would use the gun for, elk at close range, might be a bit much on deer, I don't shoot hogs, but be it would be good hog weapon maybe.
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Marlin 444

Post by TomF »

444T. I had one, a fine shooter. Too heavy for my worn out elbows. I took several whitetails and axis with mine. '71 model, square lever, dovetailed front sight.

TomF
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

TomF wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:53 pm 444T. I had one, a fine shooter. Too heavy for my worn out elbows. I took several whitetails and axis with mine. '71 model, square lever, dovetailed front sight.

TomF
The configuration he mentions was made from 1964 to 1972 . Actual “444T” guns were ONLY made in 1971 and 1972 . And not all the guns made in 1971 were “444T’s” . All the ones that were roll stamped “444T” have a dove tailed front sight rather then the earlier style that had a pair of screws holding it to the barrel . Now before you tell me I know not of what I speak I had two “T’s” serial numbered to 71 and two more serial numbered to 72 . I also had several other 444’svserial numbered to 71 that were not roll stamped with “444T”. The earliest 444 I found with a squared lever was serial numbered to 1970 . From 64 to some point in 1970 they used rounded levers . And before you tell me they didn’t make the guns in 1964 I owned one rifle that was serial numbered to 1964 and was roll stamped on the barrel “444 Marlin Magnum” . In the 64-72 rifles with 24” barrels and Monte Carlo stocks I had two dozen I had atleast two in each year except 64 (only one serial numbered to 64) . There were some minute variations in 70 and 71 otherwise the other years were pretty cut and dry .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Thanks, I am really unfamiliar with 444's
Shop was asking $1150 and I thought that was way out of the ball park. Its in good condition, granted, but not sure I would pay $1150 if it was new in box.
Been doing some reading up on the 444, be okay for short range elk, moose, more ammo out there than I expected. But don't really need a short range big game rifle, have short covered, trying to go longer distance in a lever.
Still, was very interesting gun that I had not seen before.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Marlin32 wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:32 pm Thanks, I am really unfamiliar with 444's
Shop was asking $1150 and I thought that was way out of the ball park. Its in good condition, granted, but not sure I would pay $1150 if it was new in box.
Been doing some reading up on the 444, be okay for short range elk, moose, more ammo out there than I expected. But don't really need a short range big game rifle, have short covered, trying to go longer distance in a lever.
I'm not sure what you consider short range, but I'd use it to any distance that I could reliably hit a paper plate. I've never used anything but 240 Greenbox.
If it was in real, real nice shape, I'd go 600.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Marlin32 wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:32 pm Thanks, I am really unfamiliar with 444's
Of the ones I had I sold several for over 7 or 8 hundred . The 1964 rifle brought about a grand and that was about four years ago .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I bought a new .444 in 1965 - those early .444's with the monte carlo buttstock were the only ones made with a 24" bbl - and promptly (after 2 outings) cut the barrel back to 16" & rasped the monte carlo comb off the buttstock (who knew, back then ?).

It was a good shooter, but the rather fragile 240ge JSP factory loads of the day ( the ONLY load then available) got me loading 265gr Hornady JSP's after the 240gr stuff blew up the nearside shoulder of a couple of Maine bucks I shot with it (making recovery a PITA, and also making a lot of bloodshot meat).

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Pete44ru wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:56 pm .

I bought a new .444 in 1965 - those early .444's with the monte carlo buttstock were the only ones made with a 24" bbl - and promptly (after 2 outings) cut the barrel back to 16" & rasped the monte carlo comb off the buttstock (who knew, back then ?).

It was a good shooter, but the rather fragile 240ge JSP factory loads of the day ( the ONLY load then available) got me loading 265gr Hornady JSP's after the 240gr stuff blew up the nearside shoulder of a couple of Maine bucks I shot with it (making recovery a PITA, and also making a lot of bloodshot meat).

I've been lead to believe, and I'm willing to be corrected, that the first 240s were the .44 Mag pistol bullets and that later ammo used a different 240 that held together much better.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Having witnessed the early JSP blow-ups, I would say that's correct, Blaine. :)

buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Dang, I cant imagine cutting down a 24 inch barrel and rasping off the monte carlo. I have been looking for that configuration for years... they dont show up often.