Please recommend a mold for my Rossi 92 .357

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
DaveInPA
Levergunner

Please recommend a mold for my Rossi 92 .357

Post by DaveInPA »

I am looking at picking up a mold to cast bullets for my Rossi 92 Carbine in .357 Magnum. I'm looking at the following two designs from Accurate Molds:

36-155C

36-158C

My intended use is primarily informal shooting with mild loads of smokeless powder (but not powder puff level CAS loads). I might try black powder, for which the 36-155C would be better.

A secondary use for bullets from the mold is to load .38 Specials and .357s for use in my various revolvers. Again, no hot loads, just middle-of-the-road loads for informal target shooting and plinking.

I am wondering if anyone has either of these molds and used bullets cast from them in a Rossi 92. I'm especially interested in how well they feed. FWIW, I have a 43-215C that I use for my .44-40s and it's a great design that works well with my BP handloads.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Re: Please recommend a mold for my Rossi 92 .357

Post by 765x53 »

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Of your two Accurate bullets I would be biased strongly toward the 158C, purely because I want my bullets to come to full diameter at least for a little ways in front of the crimp groove. And both those suggested by 765x53 look like good 'uns, and would have the advantage of being available in the Lee 6-cavity which would turn 'em out by the bushel if you want to feed both rifle and revolvers. And the round-flat nose design is one of your best for trouble-free feeding through the Rossi. My levers will feed a semi-wadcutter but the round flat-nose definitely feeds best.

Note that these are all plain-base bullet designs and the Rossi is capable of driving that weight of bullet fast enough in a full-power load that you would need a gas check. Keep your velocities somewhere below 1400 fps and you'll be fine. If you did want to try more velocity you could slip one of the aluminum checks made for plain-based bullets on your bullet and give that a try. I have done that just for grins and dang if it doesn't work out fairly well, though I do get an occasional flyer that I suspect traces back to loosing that gas check off the bullet somewhere early in flight.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Both bullets look like great designs. I would choose the heavier one.
DaveInPA
Levergunner

Post by DaveInPA »

Thanks, gents.

I forgot to mention that I pan lube, so I'm want something with a flat base. Also, I'm aware that since they won't be gas checked I'll be limited to velocity. That's OK since they are mostly for banging steel plates at close range, not hunting. If the Rossi ever gets taken deer hunting I'm planning to load it with Fiochhi 158 grian JHP rounds, which are loaded with Hornady XTPs and which shoot very well in my rifle.