Possible Service Pistol... Beretta APX

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
1894c

Possible Service Pistol... Beretta APX

Post by 1894c »

So I walked away from the Glock platform in 2016 (been carrying a Glock since 1996) and currently carry and shoot a Sig Sauer P320 Carry 9mm (17-round) which I can change over to a Compact (15-round, similar size to a Glock 19, but a little thicker in the slide), really like the modular system. And I picked up a DA/SA Beretta PX4 Storm Compact 9mm, but recently let it go because I couldn't get used to the decocking step, too much muscle memory with striker-fired autos.

Anyways, when I sold the PX4 I used the funds to pick up the Beretta APX (see pics) in 9mm (LE price is good). This too is a modular design with a removable Fire Control Unit (FCU) and replaceable grip frames, similar to the Sig P320. The difference is that the APX has different size back-straps and the grips modules come with or without finger grooves -- and a semi-flat trigger which is very nice.

I have over 800+ rounds of mixed 9mm through the APX and find it very comfortable to shot, reliable, accurate, somewhat ugly, eats everything, actually, it's starting to become my favorite auto platform. I call the APX the Beretta-GLOCK... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Possible Service Pistol... Beretta APX

Post by Bill in Oregon »

30-30, there are just so darned many platforms out there in 9mm it is hard to keep up with them all. Glad you found one that is working for you. Have to admire Beretta for never letting up on new designs.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

I really like the removable FCU designs that are coming out, like the Sig P320 and this Beretta APX. It gives you the ability to go from full-size to compact, to sub-compact with one serialized Fire Control Unit. I think these two designs are the future of auto-pistols, although life can be good with a 1911 too... :)
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

I'm a Glock man through and through. My department recently switched to the SIG P320 in 9mm from a Glock 23 in 40 S&W. The SIG isn't bad but still too new and too untested in real world situations for me. Maybe it will grow on me. Still carry a G42 in 380 as a back up and either that or a G19 off duty.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

^^^ I agree totally. To go from something that has totally proven itself to another that has not is fundamentally stupid. Same goes with the military's departure from the Beretta M9. Wars are not won with handguns. It probably is a case of "someone's palm getting greased".
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Kaschi, regarding the M9, I sure heard a lot of negative comments about it from soldiers home on leave from Iraq and Afghanistan when I worked for a year or two at Sportsman's Warehouse. They almost invariably wanted to handle and buy H&K .45s.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

RustyJr wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:37 pm I'm a Glock man through and through. My department recently switched to the SIG P320 in 9mm from a Glock 23 in 40 S&W. The SIG isn't bad but still too new and too untested in real world situations for me. Maybe it will grow on me. Still carry a G42 in 380 as a back up and either that or a G19 off duty.

RustyJr
We have the option of carrying the Sig P320, and I shoot the P320/APX better than any Glock I've owned. I like the modular technology that the APX and the P320 offer, yeah their both different, untested, unproven, unknown. But I also remember similar remarks when we switched from the Gen-3 S&W autos to the Glocks back in the early 1990's, moving away from a US made all metal platform to some plastic blocky auto that came from Europe. In the end, change is good... :)
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

All these new tupperware pistols? They are all Glocks that fit and look a little different. :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
1894c

Post by 1894c »

BlaineG wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:27 pm All these new tupperware pistols? They are all Glocks that fit and look a little different. :lol:
BlaineG -- you are correct, but in some cases they offer real improvements... :)
Last edited by 1894c on Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The APX was designed and tested by people with decades of LE and mil experience, lots of it on Glocks. I've carried Glocks near exclusively for 20 years, the M&P and APX being strong contenders if i ever move away.

Most mil personnel have no clue when it comes to pistols, and issued ones are rarely maintained, i.e new recoil and mag springs. I made sure i had original PB mags with good springs in my M9.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

@ Bill in Oregon: Yeah, I've heard some complaints about the M9 from some military guys. But also positive remarks about it too. Probably just depends on how worn out one particular pistol was vs another and who the unfortunate grunt was that was issued it. To be honest, I remember back in the 70s when I was in high school and college, a lot of guys who had been in the army (from WWII up to and including the 1970s) complained about the good old Colt 1911. Usual complaints were inaccuracy and heavy recoil. Most guys back then did not handle handguns very often and when they got their hands on a 1911, they were faced with lousy sights (and by the 70s worn out pistols) not to mention one-handed shooting techniques...