A Gripping Solution

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

A Gripping Solution

Post by Pete44ru »

I added another airgun last week - A .177 Webley Tempest barrel-cocker spring gun that came out of a California estate.

IIRC, current models were made in Turkey, but this one's an original, from England.

Image Image Image

It shot to my PIA @ 10yds from the very 1st shot I took with it, but since the plastic/fantastic issue grips left me cold, I decided to 'make a set from some Black Walnut I had hanging around for a few years.

The first thing I did was to make cardboard templates of the issue plastic grips, that I traced & cut out for a pattern when making the wood grips.

I simply cut the wood to match the outline, flattened what would become the inside surface of the grip panels, then shaped/sanded the outsides to my druthers.

This is how they look on the Webley:

A little application of paste wax in a few days, and this case is closed ! :p

Last edited by Pete44ru on Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Re: A Gripping Solution

Post by claybob86 »

Very nice, Pete! The wood really adds some class to it. :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Nice job, yes those walnut grips definitely give the pistol more class.... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

First Class work there!!! :mrgreen: .
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Very nice. there's just something about blue steel and walnut that makes me feel warm all over.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I like black walnut for grips, too. It is a pretty wood. For the paste wax application, remove the grips and heat them carefully to just a little hotter than needed to melt the wax, then start rubbing the wax on and into the wood. The heat opens the pores of the wood and lets the wax go a little deeper than just the surface for some more water resistance. For the polishing cloth, I have had good results with a microfiber cloth purchased at Wal Mart or other places in the auto parts area. It is softer than an old sock or old T shirt and shines the wood as well or better. Plus, you don't need to use a T-shirt that you might be wearing later. For heating the grips, my favorite method is to put them in a black plastic bag outside in the sun before going to work. When I get home they are hot and not scorched. I have evel put a dollop of wax right in the middle of each grip and had it melt all over the grip while the Sun heats it all up. I have done that with leather and beeswax also. It works best when the outside temperature is in the 90s, such as a mild Texas Spring/Summer/Fall day. When it reaches triple digits, the grips get a little too hot to hold. On the hot days when it gets over 110 degrees, it only takes an hour or two in the Sun. My opinion of mild or hot days is a result of living in Texas for around 20 years.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Yep, I always pre-heat the wood I intend to wax - Thanks for all the positive replies, folks !

As always, I appreciate them.