Fixing cracked wrist on stock?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Fixing cracked wrist on stock?

Post by Tycer »

I know this is been covered here before, but I can’t find it.
You clamp the crack shut tight, drill a 1/8 inch hole through the crack lengthwise with the stock, squeeze some XXX into it, slather some XXX onto a dowel and drive it into the hole.
What’s xxx?
Am I remembering this correctly?
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Fixing cracked wrist on stock?

Post by Blaine »

I've always used super glue. Other's mileage may vary....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

My buddy that does stock work always says unless you soak them in lacquer thinner and get the oil out the glue most likely won't hold well for long . Down side to that is after soaking in lacquer thinner the whole stock needs to be refinished generally . Granted he generally doesn't drill a hole and use dowel rod .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I was taught to use brass rod, threaded. Drill your hole, mix epoxy per instructions, chuck the threaded rod in drill, slather epoxy on rod and use drill to screw it together.
If the stock is oily and you have a syringe handy squirt acetone into the hole in stock.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Not all wrist cracks are fixed the same. It depends on how badly it's cracked, if there's access to the backside or hidden part of the crack, and whether the crack can be pinned or not.
I always prefer pinning a crack, and I usually use steel pins. Size of the pins vary, but usually I like 1/8", unless there's plenty of wood to go to 3/16" and it's an area that needs more support. I usually use two part epoxy and it can be 5 minute, or longer setup time. If I can spread the crack, I carefully spread it using small wooden wedges I cut to hold it open. Then I use plain old Elmers wood glue in the open crack, and then clamp it. I add the pins later when the glue has set up well for a day or so. I also tape along the surface with blue painter's tape if I'm not going to refinish the stocks. This keeps the glue from running all over the surface as I clamp it tightly.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Just another tip. If while the crack is open and you put glue in, a little shot of compressed air will shove glue back into the far reaches of the crack.
Click Click Boom
sureshot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by sureshot »

A length of surgical tubing wrapped tightly around the wrist works better than clamping and won't leave any marks on the wood.
I have used a good marine grade 2-part epoxy with this method and it has given very good results.
I get as much epoxy in the break as I can and then wrap it tightly with the tubing for a few minutes, then remove the tubing and clean up any excess glue with rubbing alcohol, then wrap it tightly again and let it set for 24 hours or more.

Steve