Buckshot

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Buckshot

Post by Pitchy »

Ron I`m with you the more the better, that`s what I like about the 590 it holds nine total. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

For griff and all of the other .36 percussion revolver shooters, Ballistic Products has their excellent swaged 0000 buckshot (.380") 8 lb. jar back in stock.....

It is often sold-out....I just ordered a jar and it ciphered out to $.07 each ball....
m.A.g.a. !
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:57 am From what I remember the Brits had a different system for sizing their buckshot, maybe Nath or Gamekeeper could chime in and clear up the confusion?

Several varmints? I haven't seen a skunk, groundhog, possum here in a long time. Unless you count roadkill!
According to Eley.
Our buckshot sizes are LG 9.1mm .36, SG 8.4mm .33, Spec.SG 7.6mm .30, SSG 6.8mm .27, AAA 5.2mm .20
SG is equivalent to 00 Buck
Spec.SG is equivalent to 1 Buck
SSG is equivalent to 3. Buck
AAA is equivalent to 4 Buck
LG stands for large game & SG stands for small game.

Interesting also your shot sizes are different too.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

gamekeeper wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:56 am

According to Eley.
Our buckshot sizes are LG 9.1mm .36, SG 8.4mm .33, Spec.SG 7.6mm .30, SSG 6.8mm .27, AAA 5.2mm .20
SG is equivalent to 00 Buck
Spec.SG is equivalent to 1 Buck
SSG is equivalent to 3. Buck
AAA is equivalent to 4 Buck
LG stands for large game & SG stands for small game.

Interesting also your shot sizes are different too.
is there a link to this?
I got slightly different take is all.
SSG is 16 pellets to the ounce, so that's dead between 2 and 3 buck size, about 27 grains, or roughly half a 00 Buck.
I don't think AAA is exactly 4 buck either...
lastly, just clarifying 'SSG' as I understood is the actual abbreviation for 'Special SG', in that they aren't two separate types..
SG is the same as 00 buck yes.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I've always thought of #4 BUCK as a man-stopper and not for sporting purposes. But with the right choke, it can be deadly at archery distances.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

The data was from an old 1987 Eley Shooters Diary, I have just checked a 2017 Eley diary and the data is the same.
Spec SG is larger than SSG and I believe was designed for hunting wolves, it lists SSG as being 15 per Oz. Spec.SG as 10 per Oz.
I presume that the equivalent US sizes are the closest to rather than exact size equivalent.
LG buckshot does not, according to Eley have an equivalent US, French, Belgium or Italian size of buckshot but I believe is #000.
Buckshot is not used very much in the UK as the so called British Deer Society do not approve of its use for humane reasons and self defense loads are not supposed to exist....
It is difficult to get slugs for anything other than practical shotgun competition, although some folks have persuaded the police to grant permission to use slugs on wild boar :roll:
I have used Spec SG and AAA on foxes but I prefer calling them in and using BBs , Spec SG is great for destroying Squirrel dreys, grey squirrels are classed as vermin over here so anything goes.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

t.r. wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:30 am I've always thought of #4 BUCK as a man-stopper and not for sporting purposes. But with the right choke, it can be deadly at archery distances.

TR
#4 buck is great on coyotes, both 2 and 4 legged.
I probably wouldn't use it on something I planned to eat.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

as to the original question, my theory is that the lead is soft and deforms.

when I get around to it I'm going to cast some hard lead shot and try come comparisons
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Grizz, I cast some .375 balls I sized down to .358 out of wheel weights, they migh be doing 800fps or so, they didn’t go all the way thru a treated 2x8, maybe 3/4’s of the way thru, but they didn’t deform at all. Could have reloaded them again. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

gamekeeper wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:39 am The data was from an old 1987 Eley Shooters Diary, I have just checked a 2017 Eley diary and the data is the same.
Spec SG is larger than SSG and I believe was designed for hunting wolves, it lists SSG as being 15 per Oz. Spec.SG as 10 per Oz.
I presume that the equivalent US sizes are the closest to rather than exact size equivalent.
LG buckshot does not, according to Eley have an equivalent US, French, Belgium or Italian size of buckshot but I believe is #000.
Buckshot is not used very much in the UK as the so called British Deer Society do not approve of its use for humane reasons and self defense loads are not supposed to exist....
It is difficult to get slugs for anything other than practical shotgun competition, although some folks have persuaded the police to grant permission to use slugs on wild boar :roll:
I have used Spec SG and AAA on foxes but I prefer calling them in and using BBs , Spec SG is great for destroying Squirrel dreys, grey squirrels are classed as vermin over here so anything goes.
Interesting, looks like different manufacturers have different takes on buckshot between countries.

Some say brit SG is 00 buck, the other 0 buck. 000 buck they think is LG, SSG they got everything from 2, 3 to no buck equivalent, AAA mostly down at T buck size. :D

https://www.claygame.co.uk/lead-shot-sizes-22
http://www.sellier-bellot.cz/en/product ... -of-shots/
http://www.hallowellco.com/shot_size_chart.htm

I'm glad you pointed out the eley chart because I had been plugging my take on buckshot sizes on the internet for years, and didn't realise it might vary.
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

Actually gamekeeper I wonder if some manufacture diameter and weight differences might be due to relative buckshot hardness(pure lead vs antimony content) and also whether its plated shot??
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

mickbr wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:29 pm Actually gamekeeper I wonder if some manufacture diameter and weight differences might be due to relative buckshot hardness(pure lead vs antimony content) and also whether its plated shot??
You maybe right, most of the British buckshot I've seen has been soft lead and not plated, I didn't realise just how many different sizes of buckshot there are around the world.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Slow is just slow.