Gunny's Gone.......

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Gunny's Gone.......

Post by Pete44ru »

© Provided by Variety

R. Lee Ermey, best known for his Golden Globe-nominated portrayal of Gunnery Sergeant Hartman in “Full Metal Jacket,” has died. He was 74.

Ermey’s longtime manager announced the news via a tweet to Ermey’s official Twitter account.

“It is with great sadness that I regret to inform you all that R. Lee Ermey (‘The Gunny’) passed away this morning from complications of pneumonia. He will be greatly missed by all of us,” the tweet reads.

In addition to his role in Stanley Kubrick’s Oscar-nominated film, which earned him a best supporting actor Golden Globe nod, Ermey had several other mostly authority figure roles to his credit, including Sheriff Hoyt in 2003’s “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre,” a police captain in “Se7en,” and the voice of the plastic army men’s leader Sarge in “Toy Story.”

Ermey was a former United States Marine Corps staff sergeant and honorary gunnery sergeant, and served as a drill instructor during his tenure from 1961-1972.

He was stationed in Okinawa, Japan for one year until 1968, when he was moved to Vietnam and spent 14 months in country.

His first film role occurred when he was studying in the Philippines, and he played a First Air Cavalry chopper pilot in “Apocalypse Now,” also serving as a technical adviser to Francis Ford Coppola.
He had a series of other small roles until his casting in 1987’s “Full Metal Jacket.”

Ermey was originally meant to function only as a technical adviser to Kubrick, but when Kubrick was impressed by an instructional tape Ermey put together in which he went on long rants at extras, he instead cast him in the role of Gunnery Sergeant Hartman. Kubrick allowed Ermey to improvise and write or edit his dialogue, and he said Ermey often only needed two or three takes to finish a scene — both unusual for Kubrick films.

All told, Ermey had roles in some 60-plus films, as well as several voice credits, including “The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy,” “SpongeBob SquarePants,” “The Simpsons,” and “Family Guy.”

On top of his voice acting, he hosted two programs for the History Channel: “Mail Call,” in which he provided expertise on military issues, both modern and historic, and “Lock N’ Load with R. Lee Ermey,” which focused on the development of different types of weapons.

R.I.P.. Gunny...

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Gunny's Gone.......

Post by fordwannabe »

Also NRA board member, and ostracized for his comments on a certain President , right before the one we have now.
OUTSTANDING.
RIP.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

That last bit, makes me like him a bit more. Rest in Peace R. Lee.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That is really sad news, I regularly watch " Mail Call" and always enjoyed his style. Rest in peace Gunny, "Semper Fi".
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

As a former drill instructor, he certainly was most qualified to play that part! A really good guy, and he'll be missed! My daughter met him in a San Diego bar after a Chargers football game years ago and said he was a great guy and very freely signed autographs and took pictures for everyone who asked.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sad news. Most times I don't care much for celebrities. The Gunny is one I would have liked to have met.
One thing is for sure, his love of country was genuine.
Godspeed, Gunny.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

We lost a real American MAN. I sure enjoyed his shows on the Outdoor channel
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

OldWin wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:52 pm Sad news. Most times I don't care much for celebrities. The Gunny is one I would have liked to have met.
Godspeed, Gunny.

Jay, my buddy "the Gunny", an ex marine DI has met him several times at Camp Perry. He told me he was a fun guy to talk to and very personable and shot the "course" all week even though he was not the greatest shot. But....he was also in his mid sixties at the time.---6
Model A Uzi’s
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sixgun wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:58 pm
OldWin wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:52 pm Sad news. Most times I don't care much for celebrities. The Gunny is one I would have liked to have met.
Godspeed, Gunny.

Jay, my buddy "the Gunny", an ex marine DI has met him several times at Camp Perry. He told me he was a fun guy to talk to and very personable and shot the "course" all week even though he was not the greatest shot. But....he was also in his mid sixties at the time.---6
That's really cool buddy.
Well, I probably wouldn't do that well either haha.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.