Mini "22 Mag Schofield" Top-Break Report

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Following up on this posting...
AJMD429 wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:20 pm Now THIS looks cool....

I have a Pug but this 'Schofield' version is just cool.....

https://northamericanarms.com/product-c ... ranger-ii/

I remember their first run but they only made 500 or so then made some changes.

Well, let's just say...

Shooting a 6.9 ounce revolver with a tiny grip that has a 6.9 pound trigger pull doesn't lead to great groups!

Sure was tough to hold on to the l'il bugger -- that's for sure! :wink:

It's better than a sharp stick!!! And LOUD too -- maybe the noise alone will scare the perp away!!!

But if it wasn't for the fact that I collect top-break revolvers and also have a Schofield, I would have passed on this one.

I do like it, for the novelty and uniqueness that it adds to my modest top-break collection, and it's a marvel of very fine -- as in small -- and very fine -- as in well done -- execution and machining.

I will be out in Utah on business in a few weeks, and I'll stop by North American Arms after my sales call is done, and I'll see about getting a slightly larger set of grips for it.

Here's some more pix below...

Old No7

NAA Ranger II 01 (Small).jpg
NAA Ranger II 02 (Small).jpg
NAA Ranger II 03 (Small).jpg
NAA Ranger II 04 (Small).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Old No7 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Mini "22 Mag Schofield" Top-Break Report

Post by 2ndovc »

The Larger grips will help. I had one of the "Earl" revolvers that was sold off while I was in the hospital and was going to get another one until I saw that NAA was going to take another "shot" at the Ranger. I always thought them as a last ditch, stick 'em up their nose and pull the trigger pistol. The last one I had was a fairly decent shooter. I'll grab one of these new ones soon.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, I learned long ago, from a Gun Digest or Shooter's Bible article (I mis-remember which, so long ago), on how to shoot those small gripped NAA Mini's.

The secret is to hold the grip very firmly in the closed fist of your normal trigger hand, then wrap the of hand around the front of the closed fist before operating the hammer/trigger with that off hand.

It was a bit awkward at first, but once learned becomes second nature, and a fairly accurate method of using those small revolvers.

Image Image

jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Is this new or one of the ones they made a few years ago?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

jeepnik wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:53 pm Is this new or one of the ones they made a few years ago?
It's the "new one" --the Ranger II -- with the Schofield-type latch that you pull back with the thumb (of the same hand that's holding the small grip) after it's out on half cock. The original Ranger had an "H&R" type latch, that required you to use your other hand to lift up on it. I think the Schofield latch will prove to be more robust.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

What is the pivot-point in the topstrap for...?
Taking out the cylinder...??
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

AJMD429 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:31 pm What is the pivot-point in the topstrap for...?
Taking out the cylinder...??
You're spot on with your diagnosis Doc.

I'll use that for cleaning it, but I don't think I'll spend the extra $$ for a 22 LR cylinder, as I've got plenty of other 22s around.

Old No7
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Pete44ru wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:46 pm .

FWIW, I learned long ago, from a Gun Digest or Shooter's Bible article (I mis-remember which, so long ago), on how to shoot those small gripped NAA Mini's.

The secret is to hold the grip very firmly in the closed fist of your normal trigger hand, then wrap the of hand around the front of the closed fist before operating the hammer/trigger with that off hand.

It was a bit awkward at first, but once learned becomes second nature, and a fairly accurate method of using those small revolvers.

Image Image

Yer nails are due for a trim there pard. :shock:
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Pete44ru wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:46 pm .

Image Image

Now that does make slot of sense!
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Nath wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:00 am
Pete44ru wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:46 pm The secret is to hold the grip very firmly in the closed fist of your normal trigger hand, then wrap the of hand around the front of the closed fist before operating the hammer/trigger with that off hand.
I haven't tried it with live ammo yet, but checking it out while dry-firing in the cellar, it does seem to be much more stable. I'll have to try it out at the range next time. :wink:

I'm also trying to find some Hornady Critical Defense ammo, as they say the 22 Mag version was engineered for "short barreled mini's" -- we'll see.

Old No7
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Not sure who tagged that little gun with the "Schofield" nomenclature, but they should be embarrassed to use the name on something that isn't even slightly like a S&W Schofield.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

marlinman93 wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:07 am Not sure who tagged that little gun with the "Schofield" nomenclature, but they should be embarrassed to use the name on something that isn't even slightly like a S&W Schofield.
We'll have to agree to disagree on that... :wink:

Just take a look at the barrel block and stud latch of the gun's top-break locking mechanism (to use actual Schofield part names); it's markedly different than the latch used on the original NAA top-break, and golly -- it's the same as used on a "Schofield".

So I think the blame for anyone referring to this little mouse gun as a "Schofield" lies with Smith & Wesson * -- after all, they're the ones who put that name on a gun model using the locking mechanism the Major designed.

But either way -- by whatever name we call it -- it's a neat little top-break for sure.

Old No7

* The Smith & Wesson Model 3 was a single-action, cartridge-firing, top-break revolver produced by Smith & Wesson from circa 1870 to 1915. It was produced in several variations and sub-variations, including both the "Russian Model", so named because it was supplied to the military of the Russian Empire, and the "Schofield" model, named after Major George W. Schofield, who made his own modifications to the Model 3 to meet his perceptions of the Cavalry's needs. Smith & Wesson incorporated these modifications into an 1875 design they named after the Major, planning to obtain significant military contracts for the new revolver.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Old No7 wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:43 am We'll have to agree to disagree on that... :wink:

Just take a look at the barrel block and stud latch of the gun's top-break locking mechanism (to use actual Schofield part names); it's markedly different than the latch used on the original NAA top-break, and golly -- it's the same as used on a "Schofield".

So I think the blame for anyone referring to this little mouse gun as a "Schofield" lies with Smith & Wesson * -- after all, they're the ones who put that name on a gun model using the locking mechanism the Major designed.

But either way -- by whatever name we call it -- it's a neat little top-break for sure.

Old No7

* The Smith & Wesson Model 3 was a single-action, cartridge-firing, top-break revolver produced by Smith & Wesson from circa 1870 to 1915. It was produced in several variations and sub-variations, including both the "Russian Model", so named because it was supplied to the military of the Russian Empire, and the "Schofield" model, named after Major George W. Schofield, who made his own modifications to the Model 3 to meet his perceptions of the Cavalry's needs. Smith & Wesson incorporated these modifications into an 1875 design they named after the Major, planning to obtain significant military contracts for the new revolver.
So that's all it takes to be a Schofield?? At least S&W named it after Schofield and gave him monetary compensation for his part in the modification of the New Model #3! How do you blame S&W for this particular gun stealing a name based on so few comparisons? Can't imagine anyone putting the two guns side by side and saying, "Wow they look the same!" Ridiculous.
I seem to recall a trigger guard on the Schofield? Besides numerous other differences. I might buy this thought if it was a completely scaled down version of the original.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
hayabusa
Levergunner 2.0

Post by hayabusa »

On their website they simply call it a top break for easier loading and unloading. Only reference to Schofield seems to come from magazine writers reviews of the little revolver
(Schofield type latch) and in the process it becomes Schofield revolver and everyone repeating (Schofield) when talking about It on whatever forum that they post on. Busa
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Thanks for the report on your new Schofield. I wondered what shooting that little monster would be like :shock: :shock:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old No7 wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:00 am
Nath wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:00 am
Pete44ru wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:46 pm The secret is to hold the grip very firmly in the closed fist of your normal trigger hand, then wrap the of hand around the front of the closed fist before operating the hammer/trigger with that off hand.
I haven't tried it with live ammo yet, but checking it out while dry-firing in the cellar, it does seem to be much more stable. I'll have to try it out at the range next time. :wink:

I'm also trying to find some Hornady Critical Defense ammo, as they say the 22 Mag version was engineered for "short barreled mini's" -- we'll see.

Old No7
Darryl, you will need to create a target box for your cellar like the one in my basement! :D

It looks very cool (your new gun)! 8) I just saw an article on these in the new issue of Dillon Precision's monthly catalog/magazine-ette, "The Blue Press". Let me know if you need a copy of it!
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:37 pm ...you will need to create a target box for your cellar like the one in my basement! :D
I got one Jay, thanks!
Ysabel Kid wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:37 pm I just saw an article on these in the new issue of Dillon Precision's monthly catalog/magazine-ette, "The Blue Press". Let me know if you need a copy of it!
I do get that too, thanks Jay.

I can see you're not done being an enabler-- and "thank you" for that! :wink:

Old No7
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old No7 wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:45 pm
Ysabel Kid wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:37 pm ...you will need to create a target box for your cellar like the one in my basement! :D
I got one Jay, thanks!
Ysabel Kid wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:37 pm I just saw an article on these in the new issue of Dillon Precision's monthly catalog/magazine-ette, "The Blue Press". Let me know if you need a copy of it!
I do get that too, thanks Jay.

I can see you're not done being an enabler-- and "thank you" for that! :wink:

Old No7
Always willing to return the favor! :wink:
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

marlinman93 wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:45 pm
Old No7 wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:43 am We'll have to agree to disagree on that... :wink:

Old No7

So that's all it takes to be a Schofield?? At least S&W named it after Schofield and gave him monetary compensation for his part in the modification of the New Model #3! How do you blame S&W for this particular gun stealing a name based on so few comparisons? Can't imagine anyone putting the two guns side by side and saying, "Wow they look the same!" Ridiculous.
I seem to recall a trigger guard on the Schofield? Besides numerous other differences. I might buy this thought if it was a completely scaled down version of the original.
See, that's what happens owning marlins :lol: :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

My 22 Magnum handguns (revolvers and pistols) are some of the loudest firearms I own. Shooting a 357 Magnum revolver is a quiet endeavor compared to shooting 22 Mag in a S&W 48 or 648.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:23 am My 22 Magnum handguns (revolvers and pistols) are some of the loudest firearms I own. Shooting a 357 Magnum revolver is a quiet endeavor compared to shooting 22 Mag in a S&W 48 or 648.
My shorty Single Six with the mag cyl is an earful, too. :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV