Did some shootin' today.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Did some shootin' today.

Post by 2ndovc »

I bought this Ruger Mini 30 a year ago or so and have been turning it into a yet another Scout rifle. I've been picking up pieces of it for months and with the addition of Mr. Blaine's Leupold Scout scope he so kindly put in the classifieds, I got it all together over the weekend and just had to go out this morning and test it out. That was fun but this 30 degree weather has got to go! Sighted it in with some factory Tula, 123 gr JHPs and got it "about" where I want it for now. Played around with some hand loads and was pleasantly surprised by the nice little groups. I bought an Accuracy Systems adjustable gas system and scout mount and I'm pleased with it so far. I need to adjust the gas system out just a bit more to cycle the lighter loads but I'd forgotten my allen wrenches so it will have to wait for the next trip. I made some light, small game loads with some .312 pistol bullets and Unique. These won't cycle the action but it works like a straight pull bolt gun. Not much louder than a .22 LR and pretty close to aim at 50 yds.

I didn't have any appointments scheduled this morning so I decided to goof off for a couple hours. :D If the wind hadn't kicked up off the glaciers, I would have stayed out a little longer.

It's been a long and cold winter, gotta get out and burn up some powder!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Ysabel Kid

Re: Did some shootin' today.

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Weren't you afraid that that evil black rifle would just turn around on its own and shoot you?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pretty cool.

Those barrel-stiffening systems have me intrigued; I bought one years ago but haven't messed with it much.....I'm putting that on my (thousand-page) to-do list.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Looks good...you got that baby set up about perfect for minute-of-raghead accuracy.

My guess is you used 6-7 gr. of Unique. Did it break the sound barrier?

Good reminder..I must have 4-5k of that ammo laying around that needs to have their primers punctured....that Chinese steel core stuff.----6
Model A Uzi’s
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Looks and shoots great jb. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jason, that Tula ammo sure is promising. I have avoided this platform for decades owing to the reputation for poor accuracy, but your rifle sure seems to want to shoot.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Good fun, good rifle. Impressive.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Hey, Jason!

That TULA JSP shoots all right in that rifle! 8)

What's the bullet diameter for that load?

-Stretch
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Love the M-14 look and feel, over the M-16, both of which I carried in the service. And I am partial to the 7.62x39 as a medium range semi-auto defensive and utility round.

Looks like this would be the home defense rifle for me, if I ever escape from California.

Thank you for the terrific post. Archived! (If you have followed the Facebook happenings, who knows if our predominantly Leftist government will finally ban gun posts on the Internet?)
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks Guys!

Doc, it does seem to have had an effect on the accuracy, though to be honest I didn't shoot it much before I put the new parts on it. Accuracy Systems offers a trigger job pretty reasonably, betting that will improve things just a bit more. The factory trigger sucks!

Jack, you're close. I started with 8 grains, my Lyman manual says that's a little over 1500 fps so it's go a crack to it like a high velocity .22lr. I like that they're nearly point of aim with the surplus stuff.

Stretch, The handloads in the upper right and left were both .312 pistol bullets that I use for my .32 H&R and .327 Fed. Those 71 gr. FMJs are really accurate in my Single Seven. The load in the lower Right is a Hornady .310 JSP. Don't remember the powder/ charge.

Pete, I'm really pleased with the utilitarian style of this rifle. I have an M1A Squad Scout that one of the fellows here sold to me a couple years ago ( Thanks Dave!) and I really love the rifle. It replaced a SOCOM 16 that got away from me while I was sick in the hospital. Instead of buying another SOCOM I thought the Ruger would be an interesting project. I have quite a bit of ammo and only had an old Chinese SKS left in 7.62Russian so I'd been looking at several options. Allways liked the cartridge. I've had half a dozen AKs got through my hands and, yes the do work but have yet had one that would do better than 5- 6" at 50 yards. I was seriously considering the CZ 527 but came across the Accuracy Systems site in my searching and thought it looked like some pretty cool stuff.
Main purpose for this one is a well made, reliable rifle that can take some hard use as a cabin/ camp /travel gun and hold up. Plus, it's pretty cheap to shoot!
:D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

PillHer's SKS is as accurate as my Mini 30. I am considering something like a Har Bar or other barrel stiffener.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost