Back just gets worse

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Back just gets worse

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Well, I mentioned my MRI fail the other day. Then I got the report. I had L2-3 and 3-4 fused in 2012, and an L4-5 laminectomy last April. Since then I have: arthritic changes and disc bulge at L1-2, scarring and arthritis in L4-5 laminectomy site, and arthritis and "severe facet disease" at L5-S1. My back hurts, my legs alternately ache or go numb and sitting, standing, walking and lying down can all be uncomfortable. Looks like more injections and surgery for me. I'm getting tired of it. I've been active all my life. I could be in better shape, but at 65 I am 5' 9", keep it under 170 and try to walk at least a mile a day. Middle brother who is well overweight had a laminectomy about 15 years ago, but other than that I am the only one with these issues. Didn't play organized sports, didn't have an accident. I don't get it. Sure is discouraging. If your back is healthy, thank the Lord for it.
Now I will climb back down off the "whiner" box ...

:(
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Back just gets worse

Post by stretch »

Man, you have my sympathy. Chronic pain is NO FUN!

I wish you luck. Maybe a good physical therapist to help strengthen
the core around the trunk. A friend of mine is about to turn 70, and
he is in a similar situation.

-Stretch
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Ah Bill I feel your pain! I have a chronic T9 from a center console in a Tbone accident 21 years ago. And recently I have been having sacroiliac issues. Not fun .
Have you tried accupressure/ accupuncture?
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Dang I`m sorry to hear this Bill, I know how ya can get depressed about health issues and its no fun :(
All we can do is pray and be friends pard, hope things get better soon. :(
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Pitchy Wrote:"All we can do is pray and be friends pard, hope things get better soon" + 1. Ten years ago the Doc told Me My l-5 was bad and as He put the x-rays up He said "look what a life of labor has done for You". I have had six eye surgery's in the last three years, The doctors said that none of My eye issues were from lifting. :twisted: ..I told them I have unloaded 5000 trucks in 46 years and they just smirk. :cry: . I have one year before I retire. Stay strong, do what You can to stay healthy We are Praying for You. Jim.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Fellas, a guy couldn't ask for better Internet friends.
I am hoping to get a consultation with a neurosurgeon in El Paso here before too long. Will report, if anyone is interested.
Ya know, it's funny. When I was a younger (and less wise, or is that "stupider," person), I didn't have much stomach for older people talking about their aches and pains. Little did I realize that given enough time, it can just about dominate the conscious experience of a person's waking hours. My more tolerant view now is that it is a comfort to know that others have shared your path, steep and rocky as it might be.
Lord, give me the gift of sympathy for others, as I might just need it myself someday.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Sorry to hear about the back troubles, Bill. I sure hope things can get better for you. Like the other's have said, noting worse than chronic pain.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I can sympathize with you Bill. I will be retiring next month from the military for medical reasons. Scoliosis, degenerative disks, arthritis and sciatica. Both shoulders are shot also and I’m only 53.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Bill, have you considered swimming as a way to build up back muscles with little to no risk?

One of my coworkers and back issues and after a fusion that did not solve the issue, he began swimming at the YMCA 2-3 times weekly and this kept him out of the Docs office and off the operating table.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

NEVER give up on the various iterations of 'physical therapy' either - there is ALWAYS some other thing to try, and some other therapist to try it with.

I'd rather have a mediocre surgeon and excellent therapist than the other way around....
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

You've got all my sympathy Bill. I always thought I had high "pain tolerance" until I had a ruptured disc press against the sciatic nerve and I found that real pain comes from a bad back and I have very low tolerance for real pain. A good surgeon did get that part of my cricky back fixed, at least for a while. And my chiropractor showed me some flexibility exercises that have made a huge difference in the frequency with which I have that "real pain".

I know when my back is giving me troubles a little walk is good but a big walk makes things worse. I wonder if crs' swimming advice wouldn't be a good way to go to keep up the core strength?
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Sorry to hear, Bill. Prayers sent. Hope you can get straightened out. My wife has to live with constant back pain from spondolathesis and degenerative disks. I understand how it can wear on you.
Best of luck. Keep us posted.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Thanks again, fellas. Charles, after my laminectomy last spring I had a lot of physical therapy that primarily involved an underwater treadmill. It really seemed to help. My core strength is pretty good, but could always be better. Earl, I am doing the shorter walks pretty religiously and do believe they help. I had been doing some strenuous 5 -6 mile hikes involving significant elevation gain and bouldering and have backed off on those for now as the balance required to avoid a fall is hard to muster when you can't feel the bottoms of your feet. Here are a couple of photos of the local hiking terrain.
Doc, your advice is interesting, and always most welcome!
Bill

[url=https://flic.kr/p/24sw8zr]Image
[url=https://flic.kr/p/24sw8zr]
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Wish I had some good advice as I know first hand how debilitating back pain can be (I stupidly installed a set of 4, 8D batteries,by my self in a hydro crane). But I can say a couple prayers for you...

God Bless...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Chronic pain is a PITA, and if it's your back I doubt there's any other chronic pain as tough to live with daily. I've got a couple chronic injuries I have dealt with for over 40 years, but fortunately neither is back related, and I've just learned to put up with the daily aches and pains. Not sure what I'd do if it was like your back Bill?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Have you used T.E.N.S. units? They are sometimes useful as they interrupt the pain signals. They don't work for everyone. Lidocaine gels and creams seem to help a few people.

Whatever you do, don't give up and keep talking to the Creator.

Prayers sent.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Piller, yes, I have a TENS machine and it seems to help more with muscular than skeletal, neural issues -- like after I have been out digging/prying up root balls and such. I'm not doing much of that right now!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Hang on in there Bill, I hope and pray relief from pain will be achieved soon and you will be hiking in that beautiful country again.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I will keep looking for things which may help. Prayers continue.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost