357 sig

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

357 sig

Post by 4t5 »

Was watching some Paul Harrell videos on youtube, and got interested in the 357 sig round, I was wondering if anyone here shoots this round and what you shoot it out of, I was originally interested in a 38 super, but 1911 grip frames tend to be big for my hands, and the sig can be had in a more friendly grip size for me, THANKS.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 357 sig

Post by elmo123 »

I have a 1911 that I fitted a barrel in 357 Sig and a 4006 S&W that I rechambered a 9mm barrel to 357 Sig for. It is not too difficult to reload for but you have to use bullets designed for the 357 Sig and factory crimp them to keep them from seating too deep in the case when feeding. One thing that surprised me was how accurate it is. The 9mm barrel I rechambered never shot as good as it does now.

One thing to remember is wear hearing protection because it is almost as loud as the Blackhawk in 30 Carbine.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a .357 Sig barrel to replace my .40 cal barrel in my Glock model 22. It is made by Double Diamond to replace the barrel in a Glock 31. Not really a .357 Magnum replacement, but more of a 9mm ++P. I use Hornady XTP 115 grain bullets and Longshot powder by Hodgdon. Accuracy is as good as I can shoot, and probably much better than that.

Texas used to issue the Glock 31 to the State Troopers. Due to overpenetration issues, they went to the .40 S&W and then the 9mm. I think that the better penetration might be a great thing for hunting hogs. Most wild hogs which I have encountered are under 300 pounds, and few of them are actually over 200. A 200 pound hog is not difficult to kill with a pistol, at least in my experience. The .357 Sig should work for up to a 300 pounder with no trouble, and up to a 400 pounder if it is all you have and are in the wrong place at the wrong time. I wouldn't expect 1 shot stops, nor even 3 to 5 shot stops with the 300 to 400 pounders. For that, you would probably need a lot more power. CRS took a 400 pound hog with 1 shot from a .405 Win caliber rifle, and the hog probably was dead before it hit the ground. Of course that is a lot more power.

The .357 Sig is fine for woods walking in my opinion. If you want a .357 Magnum power level in a semi-auto, then it is almost but not quite there. It has less felt recoil than the 180 grain .40 cal, and is accurate. In large bear country, I would go up to 10mm.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Have one in a SIG P226 Elite and love it! I do have the dies to reload but my best friend has a few semi-autos in the caliber and has been reloading it for years so I have him make me up a batch. The go to load is Hornady 124gr. XTP's with a compressed load of No. 9 going around 1400 f.p.s. It's a neat little cartridge built to duplicate the ballistics of the highly regarded 125 Grain JHP .357 Magnum load as fired in a 4" barrel revolver.

I find my follow-up shots are quicker compared to 40 S&W and the penetration tests that we conducted is quite impressive BUT boy! Make sure you have your hearing protection on it's really cracking the sound barrier!!!
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

The Maine Warden Service carries SIGs in this caliber.

As others have said - LOUD! :o

Two of the disadvantages with this round are the aforementioned
special bullets needed, and that the case capacity limits power. The
357 Magnum can be loaded hotter.

-Stretch
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Shot out of a Glock 31 it is very flat shooting. I was shooting at a 1/2 size steel silhouette (man) at 75 yards and kept missing. Realized I was shooting over him each time as I was holding high for the distance. As soon as I aimed center - hits. Hits hard, too. :)

Cat