German Martini -- Making a New Toggle (Action Part)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

German Martini -- Making a New Toggle (Action Part)

Post by Old No7 »

Ahoy the forum from the coast of Maine...

I'd first posted about this new-to-me "M. Moeller" Martini from Zella-Mehlis Germany/ (1924) (click for link) over 3 weeks ago. Just as we all come here for levergun info -- and the camaraderie around the campfire :wink: -- a couple of shooters on a German gun collecting website helped me properly ID it from the proof marks.

I've made some progress on replacing the non-functioning "aluminum" key part of the action -- the toggle which is cocked by the lever, retracts the striker and is held by the sear. This image was provided to me on another forum and was helpful to show how the toggle worked and its likely shape:

Stiegele Martini 03a parts (Small).jpg

Here are the major parts of my Martini, along with the no-good aluminum toggle that was in it when I bought it:

Moeller Martini 03 parts (Small).jpg

I covered the left side of the receiver with tape and mounted the tilting block and lever parts on the outside, which allowed me to better visualize what was happening inside the action:

Moeller Martini 04 action parts (Small).jpg

I'd also posted on a rimfire Martini forum looking for some animation of a Martini in action, and while the triggers of the British design are placed differently than on my German gun, this Martini Action Animation (click for link) was also helpful.

Take a look -- it uses a lever! :!:

At the top of this next image, you'll see the 3 critical bearing surfaces of the Martini toggle circled on a part from another German Martini (maker unknown, but it's similar to mine). At the bottom, at the far left you see the original aluminum part -- which didn't work -- followed by 6 iterations of hard plastic parts that I made to check dimensions and fit. Note I copied the first part twice, before I obtained the background image and that changed my whole approach to making a plastic proof part. I could draw, drill, cut and trim a new plastic part in about half an hour, as all the final trimming was done with a sharp Xacto knife. The last 2 plastic parts on the right side worked, with the one on the right working the best, so I used that as a guide and made that last one on the right tonight from aluminum.

Moeller Martini 05 action parts (Small).jpg

That aluminum piece (top half is colored black with a Sharpie to see where it was rubbing other parts) took me over 2 hours to make, 4 times longer than the plastic ones, as I had to hand cut and file it to final shape. The small jig saw that I'd used for the hard plastic was no help on the aluminum. But still, using the hard plastic for making several "proof parts" did get me to where this Martini is now functioning!!!

Next steps, coming soon...

I'll enlist the services of my brother-in-law's machine shop to mill a new toggle made of steel, thus replacing the plastic and aluminum proof parts -- and getting me that much closer to finally pulling the trigger on this Martini.

Wow, I think I'll celebrate with a MARTINI for finally getting to this step!

Tight groups! :wink:

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: German Martini -- Making a New Toggle (Action Part)

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Cool ! Good job !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Awesome....!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That's what I call dedication. Impressive workmanship Darryl...... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I love fabrication, self reliance to the max great work. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Nice work, indeed, Darryl !

Ya gotta luv it, when a plan comes together ! . :)

Very interesting - Thanks for posting your pics & the details (muchas gratias).

Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Thanks for all the positive reinforcement guys.

For sure, there are much better fabricators showing their skills here on this site every week. My skills pale compared to theirs.
gamekeeper wrote: That's what I call dedication. 8)
Thanks John -- but I think it was more like desperation!

All the $$ spent on the barrel, sights and Tyrolean Schuetzen stock would have been wasted if the darn gun didn't fire!

Actually, it still doesn't..... But I'm getting close! :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Nice job! That will make it even sweeter when you do fire the gun

Brad