A New Fireame Service Business. Maybe. Not sure. Need halp.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

A New Fireame Service Business. Maybe. Not sure. Need halp.

Post by Panzercat »

Okay, that was an incredibly ambiguous title. I'm mainly posting this because I like the peeps here. We share an ideology- The brotherhood of the Lever -so I thought this would be a good place to start. Sure there are other venues that I'll consider plying this question to later, but I figure stick with the people you know. The smaller circle of friends I have agree that it is a business idea with potential, but that's not a good enough sample size when investing in a business and I really don't know any other way to go about market research for this sort of thing. On the more problematic side of the equation, these pages are searchable, which poses intellectual property issues. While I trust people here, the rest of the world is another story. Not that I think I'm that popular, but it's worth noting.

The basic outline is that this entity, either franchised or privately owned, would provide a fee for service/time associated with firearms. To avoid needless speculation, it is not associated with the sale of firearms or their alteration in any way, though an FFL would likely be required to handle customer firearms for an extended length of time. It is a brick and mortar business with a minimal ability to transact online since most of the transacting will be in person. Offhand, my expenses would likely include property/building purchase or rental, security, the FFL and associated costs. I imagine insurance will also be a large component of my costs.

Offhand, there is no business I can reasonably approximate it to, making this all the harder. So what am I asking? I would like to run a more detailed version of this idea by you via private message. I know more than a few of you engage in small (and large) business concerning firearms. Who better to ask? If you would like to hear this idea out (and the somewhat sadly humorous story behind it) drop me a PM. I'll chuck the details your way and you can tell me if it's stupid or something that has merit. No need to sugar coat it :) If this is all too vague for you and the PMs aren't worth your time, I'm more than willing to listen to ideas concerning what direction I should take this.

As always, you're all awesome.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Re: A New Fireame Service Business. Maybe. Not sure. Need halp.

Post by Pete44ru »

Panzercat wrote:
The basic outline is that this entity, either franchised or privately owned, would provide a fee for service/time associated with firearms.

I don't quite understand, because (as stated above) the outline says that YOU will Provide (i.e, pay) a fee for service - which makes you a customer..... :?:

Did you mean to say that you intend to provide a service for whatever firearms, and receive a fee for your time/etc ?

Panzercat wrote:
To avoid needless speculation, it is not associated with the sale of firearms or their alteration in any way, though an FFL would likely be required to handle customer firearms for an extended length of time.

An FFL will be required for you to accept any customer's firearm for ANY length of time, unless you intend to do whatever service while they wait on/in your premises - which translates to: a customer brings in their firearm, and waits on your premises (w/o leaving your premises for coffee or whatever) for you to complete the service & hand the firearm back to them.

* Market research can be done to a certain extent via googling the service you intend to provide ( like: "gun polishing services", for example) - to determine if there's sufficient demand (many leads indicate a ready market) for the services you intend to provide, and in the process find out the market value for such services.

* Marketing research is the first major step that should be taken after you determine exactly what service(s) you intend to, and/or can, provide - and what your costs of providing said services would be, beyond premises/licensing/insurance.

Sorry I can't be of much more direct assistance, except to suggest drawing up a business plan on paper & noodle things out, then explore the possibilities as outlined above.

Vaya con' Dios !

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Whatever it is, if you proceed, let us know....! You have me all curious now. :wink:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Stevie »

Hmm...cleaning firearms as a business? That would likely boil down into the same legalities as a gunsmith. Most gunsmiths offer the clean and inspect service for a small fee anyhow. Near as I know gunsmiths and gun stores have to enter firearms into a bound book if kept over night. Basicaly meaning you need an FFL.

My thoughts are that most folks clean their own guns or don't bother to clean them beyond a wipe-down. I have a hard time imagining pulling maintenance on guns for profit without being a gunsmith proper.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Pete44ru wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:03 pm I don't quite understand, because (as stated above) the outline says that YOU will Provide (i.e, pay) a fee for service - which makes you a customer..... :?:
Did you mean to say that you intend to provide a service for whatever firearms, and receive a fee for your time/etc ?[/b]

An FFL will be required for you to accept any customer's firearm for ANY length of time, unless you intend to do whatever service while they wait on/in your premises - which translates to: a customer brings in their firearm, and waits on your premises (w/o leaving your premises for coffee or whatever) for you to complete the service & hand the firearm back to them.

* Market research can be done to a certain extent via googling the service you intend to provide ( like: "gun polishing services", for example) - to determine if there's sufficient demand (many leads indicate a ready market) for the services you intend to provide, and in the process find out the market value for such services.

* Marketing research is the first major step that should be taken after you determine exactly what service(s) you intend to, and/or can, provide - and what your costs of providing said services would be, beyond premises/licensing/insurance.

Sorry I can't be of much more direct assistance, except to suggest drawing up a business plan on paper & noodle things out, then explore the possibilities as outlined above.

Vaya con' Dios !

Sorry for being obtuse. I'll just send you a PM along with the answers here.

Yes, there will be a fee transacted for the service provided.
Your necessity for the FFL is correct. I expect to take possession of firearms for finite periods of time.
I have found one instance of a similar business via google. Not much to go on, unfortunately.

But like I said, details inbound.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Stevie wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:06 pm Hmm...cleaning firearms as a business? That would likely boil down into the same legalities as a gunsmith. Most gunsmiths offer the clean and inspect service for a small fee anyhow. Near as I know gunsmiths and gun stores have to enter firearms into a bound book if kept over night. Basicaly meaning you need an FFL.

My thoughts are that most folks clean their own guns or don't bother to clean them beyond a wipe-down. I have a hard time imagining pulling maintenance on guns for profit without being a gunsmith proper.
Not cleaning per se, but I see the similarities- the necessity to keep firearms overnight or whatever.
There would be no maintenance aspect to this service. I agree a FFL is probably mandatory.
If you want, I'll send you details as well via PM.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Is there some reason you're being so vague and secretive about what you're offering? It tends to make it sound like a scam when you offer it up this way.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Camel73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Camel73 »

It's a "Don't steal my idea" secret :wink:
But I can't resist a guess, lol... artist!
My first child - '94 30-30
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

marlinman93 wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:02 pm Is there some reason you're being so vague and secretive about what you're offering? It tends to make it sound like a scam when you offer it up this way.
IT IS :o
Maybe I'm too paranoid, but I like the idea.

Actually, Ray pretty much nailed it, so there's that :P
On-site storage near an airport for outgoing traffic. Didn't figure in the military base angle, but interesting to know most have gone out of business. I can't say I'm overly surprised since the GA training facility I attended allows for firearm check-in as part of its facilities.

Basically, I see a lot of firearms get stopped at the airport thanks to blue nitrile glove people, which means there's at least a need for the business. As I was saying in PM, need doesn't always equate to real demand and i'm trying to get an idea of where to take this. People want to carry all the way up to their flight, or simply need secure storage during their vacations. This would serve as that intermediary.

Insurance, 24-7 security and property are expected to be the biggest costs incurred, of course. The FFL is small potatoes compared to those.